Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Cateye Stealth 50 GPS

Hey all, I have been considering a GPS for a year or so now, but did not feel like spending $300+ on a Garmin 500 w/cadence. I saw the bike show news that the Cateye Stealth 50 is coming out soon and will accept a cadence sensor with an msrp of $150. Sounds like it would be perfect for me (plus I have a bunch of Performance gift cards).

Does anyone know the release date? Everything I see online says February-ish, but I wondered if anyone with LBS connections has heard of a more concrete date.

Also, has anyone actually used one yet? Again, someone with connections has to have seen a demo/beta/early release of the GPS since production release is coming soon. Just looking for some feedback, that's all. Something to get excited about when it is 18* outside here in Ohio.
    Last edited by heybrady; 01-03-2013 at 10:25 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I'm interested in the Stealth 50 as well. The $150 price point and small form factor sounds really good to me.

According to Bike Rumor, Cateye is "working on getting it approved for downloading to Strava and Training Peaks, too."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Emailed Cateye to see if they would share a date, and got the following response.

Our new CC-GL50 "Stealth 50" model cycle computer will be available 3/1/13 with an MSRP of $150.00 USD. See CC-GL50 | CATEYE for more info on the Stealth 50. Find an authorized CatEye dealer near you at FIND A U.S. DEALER | CATEYE.

Best regards,
    CatEye America Customer Service

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    I have an Edge 500 but have told my LBS I want the first Stealth 50 they get. The mount on my Edge failed very early (it has to be held in place with Velcro & a rubber band) and I've always been impressed with the Cateye products I've bought in the past. Will be interested to see if either HR chest straps I have from Garmin & Polar will work with the unit. From their website "The Stealth 50 is a simple power meter that is ANT+ compatible, so it works with CatEye or third party ANT+ power, heart rate, cadence and speed sensors." Hopefully so but if not it won't be a deal killer. It's about time somebody gave Garmin a run for their money.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ok, wow, this is an interesting product. I'm currently rolling with my Garmin Oregon hiking GPS. This looks like a great price point, depending on what it comes with...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Bump.

Anyone have any luck in acquiring one?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Last word from my LBS is end of March.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    The Stealth 10 will be available on 3/8/13 and the Stealth 50 will be available on 5/1/13. Sorry for the confusion and subsequent delay.

Best regards,
    CatEye America Customer Service

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Awesome. Thanks for following up!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    They (10 & 50) are finally on sale.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    My Cateye wireless computers all have problems acquiring data from the speed and cadence sensors while my Lumina 650 light is powered on. Can I use my existing Cateye cadence and speed sensors with a Stealth 50, and if so, will I continue to experience interference from my Lumina 650?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
    They (10 & 50) are finally on sale.
    Where did you find the 50 on sale?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    How accurate is the real-time speed measurement on these GPS units? Is it better than an accurately set wired or wireless sensor? It would be awesome to get one of those, I need a new computer anyway.
    Disregard women.
    Acquire bicycles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by heybrady View Post
    Where did you find the 50 on sale?
    My mistake. Only the 10 is available for sale.

Cateye CC-GL10 Stealth 10 Cycling Computer

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Does anybody know if the stealth 50 has an elevation gain feature?
    Disregard women.
    Acquire bicycles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I don't believe it does.

Also, noticed that Performance has it up on their site with a 5/3 availability date. Hoping for a double points weekend sometime around then.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Shooooot. I think that would be a really cool feature. Anybody know if the Garmin 200 does?
    Disregard women.
    Acquire bicycles.

2 fat 4 cycling
    You can always upload to strava or another map tool and get your elevation that way. You just won't have elevation in real time. But is elevation a real time stat you need?
    More tea, Mr. Bike?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Real time is not important. I was unaware that you could get elevation by uploading to strava or such. Thanks for the info
    Disregard women.
    Acquire bicycles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    FYI, I just noticed Tate Labs is making a BarFly mount for CatEye computers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ppopp View Post
    FYI, I just noticed Tate Labs is making a BarFly mount for CatEye computers.
    Combine the Tate labs mount, Cateye Ant + HR strap and the Stealth 50 and you have the perfect setup under $200

2 fat 4 cycling
    Why is the Tate labs mount better than the one Cateye comes with? It's pretty low profile and easy to use.
    More tea, Mr. Bike?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Universal Cycles has Stealth 10s in stock for $108. No 50s, but they show a price of $135. If that ends up being the price, I don't see the point of the 10. For $27 more, you get ANT+. Even if you don't need it now, for that small a price difference, why not get it just in case you change your mind?

I plan to get a 50 and then perhaps add a Garmin chainstay-mounted speed/cadence sensor, depending on how accurate/stable the GPS speed turns out to be.

I'd like to see a Stealth review that tests the satellite acquisition time under good conditions, but haven't found anything so far.
    Joe
    2009 Felt Z35
    2008 Cannondale F5

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    That barfly mount is awesome. I just picked up one of the round generic barfly-type mounts for my Sigma. Love the position of the computer out in front.

Will definitely look into the barfly if cateye ever releases the 50.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by heybrady View Post
    That barfly mount is awesome. I just picked up one of the round generic barfly-type mounts for my Sigma. Love the position of the computer out in front.

Will definitely look into the barfly if cateye ever releases the 50.
    I've had the 50 for about a week. The weather hasn't been that great so haven't tested it that much, but it's OK so far. I tested it next to my Cateye Micro wireless and they seem to tell a similar story data wise.

I noticed some shops are selling the Barfly for Cateye in the US, and here in the UK the Stealth 50 is available....

Anyway, my main reason for wanting this, is the cadence ANT+ which seems to work fine, also to log my rides. I always liked the simplicity of Cateye computers and they always seemed to work fine for me (didn't want a Garmin unit, although i've never used one). I uploaded to Cateye Atlas, it seems to work OK. I'll log 5 or 6 2hr rides before I upload so I can see how the battery lasts too, then I'll give more comments about how it performs, but initially:

1) It paired with the RideSense ANT+ and speed thingy on my Giant Defy Advanced without issue.

2) Initially it took a little while to acquire the GPS. I will time it next time. My car on my drive picks up GPS real quick and so does my phone so perhaps my expectations where high. Although it didn't seem to drop the signal on my ride, I'll check after I've uploaded, as one morning ride I was in thick fog for a while.

3) The instructions for CateyeAtlas.com could be a little better, also for Cateye Sync that you have to install on your PC to communicate with the unit. Although it didn't work properly going though a USB hub, it worked fine direct.

Thats all for now.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast