Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

chain length calculator?

7K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Akirasho 
#1 ·
Anyone know of an online (or formula, for that matter) to calculate chain length if you know the number of teeth of your ring and cog, plus chain stay length? All I care about is for fixed gear. I can't find anything. Thanks.

Doug

#3 ·
need

I've converted a road frame to fixed with an ENO eccentric fixed hub. The eccentric offset, with my current gears, is in the 6 oclock position; ideally, it would be closer to 9 or 3. So, I want to determine if different ring/cog combinations that are close to the same gear ratio would place the offset where I want it, given the chain length. It seems much simpler to me to do this mathematically rather than buying and experimenting with 50 different combinations.

Thanks.

Doug

Cory said:
I know I've seen one somewhere, but I didn't have much interest in it and don't remember where. Might be www.sheldonbrown.com
Beware the risk of overtechnologizing, though. Couldn't you just stretch the chain around the gears and pull it tight?

#9 ·
You-eth be right-eth, if-eth you don't care-eth...

about the gear inch-eth.

The Fixed Innovations software is handy if you set it up to generate a chart -- it tells you visually which different gear/sprocket combos you can use to come up with the same gear inches for a given chainstay length.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.