Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chain Lube

RoadBikeReview Member
    Rock n Roll Red is one of the better wax lubes.

White Lightning cleans well, but lasts probably around 10 miles.

However, here is an idea that one of our expert wheelbuilders uses. He gets over 10K miles out of his chains:

Chains
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    However, here is an idea that one of our expert wheelbuilders uses. He gets over 10K miles out of his chains:
    Chains
    It was 11 when it was taken off Lom.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder's with motivation, information and resources.

Everything above, up to that blue line, is IMO IMO.

is riding in MOPP4
    Yikes, tough crowd. Yeah, talking about lubes is like beating a dead horse, but you know it has to be done year after year, so save your energy fellas; there will be more lube talk this time next year.

As for the OP, I tried a sample bottle of White Lightning Clean Ride and actually loved the way it performed in dry weather. However, I was not impressed with its durability. For best performance, I found that I needed to reapply after nearly every ride. The biggest deal breaker for me was wet-weather performance sucked. The lube just clumped up and became sticky, and I think it adversely affected my shifting performance. I think that if you're a fair weather rider that rides up to 50 miles on the weekends, it's fine. If you're looking for more of a set it and forget it lube that will last much longer and performs better in wet weather, then the White Lightning wax-based lubes fall short.

Like CX said, unless you're riding for money, a couple of watts difference is meh. There are a lot of good options out there and there is no best lube. If there was, we'd all be using the same stuff.
    Wake me up when it's alarm green.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tachycardic View Post
    there will be more lube talk this time next year.
    More like next month.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Found Muck off ceramic dry Lube last year. Wouldn't use anything else now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Pretty sure the name of the forum is 'Road Bike Review'...not 'Recumbent Review'.
    The point is that was all have different priorities for what we think our lube should be doing. Wet weather vs dry, picking up grit vs not, ease of use, cleanliness... and on and on. If the requirements were cut-and-dried, there would be one lube that would make everybody happy. So trying to make a point that one lube is superior and all others are junk is pretty close-minded.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    ............trying to make a point that one lube is superior and all others are junk is pretty close-minded.
    Could it be that everyone else is wrong?
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder's with motivation, information and resources.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    The point is that was all have different priorities for what we think our lube should be doing. Wet weather vs dry, picking up grit vs not, ease of use, cleanliness... and on and on. If the requirements were cut-and-dried, there would be one lube that would make everybody happy. So trying to make a point that one lube is superior and all others are junk is pretty close-minded.
    My point is that almost all lubes are good and there are only a couple that suck.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Wandering
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    My point is that almost all lubes are good and there are only a couple that suck.
    When I used an oil-based lube, it sucked. Alot. The black, oily, gritty residue got on everything. The oil attracted grit like a magnet & the grit insured that I got less than 1000 miles per chain.

When I finally got fed up enough to start doing some research, I found that:
    - I was doing it wrong (doh!)
    - melted wax is a good lubricant

Quote Originally Posted by TricrossRich View Post
    I've been using molten speed wax so far this year... Love it.
    I'm using the crib-notes version & also love it.
    --
    All the best,
    Ron
    Central-Western NJ, USA

There's nothing in the middle of the road but yellow stripes and dead armadillos.
    --- James Allen Hightower

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    I used White Lightning Clean Ride until I used up the whole bottle. It was not a good chain lube. It would last maybe 50-100 miles max, and because it was wax it would get forced out from between the links and rollers and gum up on the exterior of the chain. I had to do full cleans of my chain much more often when I was using wax lube, because the wax would absorb so much grit from the dusty conditions we have. Now that I have switched to ProGold ProLink lube I get 200-300 miles before the grit starts to become an issue. I will never recommend wax lubes for our area. It was worse than dry lubes that need reapplication after every ride. At least they don't gum up the chain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TricrossRich View Post
    I've been using molten speed wax so far this year... Love it.
    I've been using this for the last two years on everything except my rain bike (which I almost never ride any more). I love it. If i need a touchup in between wax baths, I'll apply some squirt out of the bottle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    When I used an oil oil-based lube, it sucked. Alot. The black, oily, gritty residue got on everything. The oil attracted grit like a magnet & the grit insured that I got less than 1000 miles per chain.
    I use an oil-based lube. Re-lube roughly every 1000 miles. That's it. My chains last about 6000 miles when adhering to manufacturer's (Campy) specs religiously.

- I was doing it wrong (doh!)
    My guess is you're still doing it wrong. Duh.

RoadBikeReview Member
    When I used an oil-based lube, it sucked. Alot. The black, oily, gritty residue got on everything. The oil attracted grit like a magnet & the grit insured that I got less than 1000 miles per chain.
    Were you wiping the lube off the outside of the chain after application? If not, what you describe will happen. Just checking.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

A wheelist
    Were you wiping the lube off the outside of the chain after application? If not, what you describe will happen. Just checking.
    On about 3 occasions, over two days post lube, my chain gets run backwards thru a WD-40 sprayed rag. That gets rid of any exterior oil that might get careless people a chainring tattoo. Mah Homebrew don't give no chainring tattoo!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    On about 3 occasions, over two days post lube, my chain gets run backwards thru a WD-40 sprayed rag. That gets rid of any exterior oil that might get careless people a chainring tattoo. Mah Homebrew don't give no chainring tattoo!

If you run the chain through a WD-40 rag, don't you have to re-lube after that? Doesn't WD-40 strip everything? Does it not get inside the rollers to significantly defeat the lube there?

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    WD40 evaporates quickly. Spray some on a plastic bag and see how fast it disappears. About a week IMHO.
    I use Type F non detergent ATF (automatic transmission fluid) or Type A suffix A. SUS32 tractor hydraulic fluid is the same thing without the red dye but the 2 gallon jugs make it hard to pour into an oiler.
    I've never worn out a chain but I have worn out a rear sprocket, a shimano sis on my 86 Schwinn.
    I use binder clips on my pants to keep them off the chain.

A wheelist
    If you run the chain through a WD-40 rag, don't you have to re-lube after that? Doesn't WD-40 strip everything? Does it not get inside the rollers to significantly defeat the lube there?
    I thin my Homebrew down (50/50) so that it penetrates the chain's internals. Immediatly I remove the excess external stuff with a dry rag. Next day, or before the first ride, I backpedal through a WD-40 rag. The rag is not soaking/saturated with WD-40 - just sprayed lightly. This removes any residual external oil - and none of the internal, the only place that chain lube does any good. Then over the next couple of rides I repeat that. This has then removed just about all the "leg tattoo" external stuff.

During any cleanings of the bike between chain re-lubes (mine last about 600 miles) I quickly run the chain backwards again thru the WD-40 rag. This stops any buildup of dirt or excess lube.

Oh and by the way - WD-40 is no more or less than oil and an oil thinner (that evaporates). So any WD-40 that did get inside the chain would act just like Homebrew.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by indianajo View Post
    WD40 evaporates quickly.
    The carrier/thinner does. The oil stays oil forever. Spray some on a horizontal piece of mirror glass and see what you're left with after a few days. Better still - put a few ounces of WD-40 in a cup (open to the air) and see its volume reduce over a few weeks. What you're left with is a nice oil. We don't know for sure but it's probably the equivalent of 30w engine oil.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I thin my Homebrew down (50/50) so that it penetrates the chain's internals. Immediatly I remove the excess external stuff with a dry rag. Next day, or before the first ride, I backpedal through a WD-40 rag. The rag is not soaking/saturated with WD-40 - just sprayed lightly. This removes any residual external oil - and none of the internal, the only place that chain lube does any good. Then over the next couple of rides I repeat that. This has then removed just about all the "leg tattoo" external stuff.

During any cleanings of the bike between chain re-lubes (mine last about 600 miles) I quickly run the chain backwards again thru the WD-40 rag. This stops any buildup of dirt or excess lube.

Oh and by the way - WD-40 is no more or less than oil and an oil thinner (that evaporates). So any WD-40 that did get inside the chain would act just like Homebrew.

Ahhh. I didn't realize you do WD-40 after your homebrew. I thought you only did it BEFORE.

I also thought WD-40 had little to no lubrication properties, but acted strictly as a solvent mainly for the purpose of freeing rusted parts. I guess I thought wrong.

I stand corrected Mr. 11,000 miles per chain. Can't argue with success!

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    The carrier/thinner does. The oil stays oil forever. Spray some on a horizontal piece of mirror glass and see what you're left with after a few days. Better still - put a few ounces of WD-40 in a cup (open to the air) and see its volume reduce over a few weeks. What you're left with is a nice oil. We don't know for sure but it's probably the equivalent of 30w engine oil.
    Interesting.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Shimano. Everything else you're paying marketing bs.
    Last edited by Devastazione; 04-28-2017 at 01:17 PM.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by indianajo View Post
    WD40 evaporates quickly. Spray some on a plastic bag and see how fast it disappears....
    Interestingly, the junior high kid down the street seems to be doing a lot of that.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

A wheelist
    Ahhh. I didn't realize you do WD-40 after your homebrew. I thought you only did it BEFORE.
    Ahhh you didn't read my chains page -
    Chains

I also thought WD-40 had little to no lubrication properties, but acted strictly as a solvent mainly for the purpose of freeing rusted parts. I guess I thought wrong.
    First of all you have to stop listening to fairy tales and read facts. If you look at the ingredients list, WD40 is about 75% thinners (two types) and 25% petroleum base oil (look at its Wiki page as a starter).

I stand corrected Mr. 11,000 miles per chain. Can't argue with success!
    Oh you're not gonna believe what I'm using for chain lube for the past 2-3 seasons. One day, after I've worn a chain out, I just might tell you

Wandering
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirx View Post
    My guess is you're still doing it wrong. Duh.
    Keep guessing, maybe you'll get the right answer next time ...
    --
    All the best,
    Ron
    Central-Western NJ, USA

There's nothing in the middle of the road but yellow stripes and dead armadillos.
    --- James Allen Hightower

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ahhh you didn't read my chains page -
    Chains
    Oh, I did! You said you use WD-40 to wipe the grime off the jockey wheels, not the chain.

First of all you have to stop listening to fairy tales and read facts. If you look at the ingredients list, WD40 is about 75% thinners (two types) and 25% petroleum base oil (look at its Wiki page as a starter).
    Hmmmkay. So your homebrew is 50/50 and WD-40 is 75/25? Oh man, the chain lube lobby is coming after you!

Oh you're not gonna believe what I'm using for chain lube for the past 2-3 seasons. One day, after I've worn a chain out, I just might tell you
    What?? You mean you've been holding back on us and have a secret formula on a 30,000 mile chain you haven't been telling us about??

-- Warren Buffett

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast