Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chain Lube

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012

Chain Lube

We all are searching for the next best road bike chain lube. I have been using white lightning wax lube for a few years after getting tired of the wet oil based lube that often left a grease tattoo on my leg or socks. A member of my club swears by rock and roll absolute dry lube. I tried to look up the composition of it via their website looking for a MSDS or maybe a statement of it containing PTFE or some other synthetic component but I cannot find any information. Can anyone share their experiences with it and any information they may know on what this product contains?
    Thanks in advance

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by baxter21 View Post
    We all are searching for the next best road bike chain lube.
    No we're not.

You're doing the wax thing wrong, you're using the wrong one.

Research Squirt lube.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    troll

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Maybe I wasn't clear in my post. I changed from an oil based lube to a wax lube several years ago. I made no mention of how I was applying the wax lube. I am applying it correctly. Squirt lube does not look much different than any other wax lube. My question was regarding absolute dry.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I have been using white lightning wax lube for a few years after getting tired of the wet oil based lube that often left a grease tattoo on my leg or socks.
    Rookie.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Forever a Student

use a torque wrench

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Unless you're trying to win a World Championship on the track in a very short event you don't need to be worrying about watts saved or gained by any particular lube. You want (or should want) something that stays on your chain, keeps it running quietly and smoothly, and is relatively easy to apply and keep clean. White Lightning fails at all of those. Use an 'oil' and learn to not bump your leg into the chainring when unclipped. Unclip your left foot when stopping, that helps. White Lightning and other wax lubes are the only things I won't use. I'm not very picky about lubrication as long as it's not WL or something like it. Light-medium oils are great. They do what they're supposed to and are easy to clean up. Don't use your own faults as reasons for using sub-par lubes.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I was wondering when this annual thread was going to come around...

We should have one big blow-out thread that covers lube, tire pressure, disc-or-not, vertical compliance/lateral rigidity, long vs short cage, which direction to wrap your tape, and how much Mavic wheels suck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    We should have one big blow-out thread that covers lube, tire pressure, disc-or-not, vertical compliance/lateral rigidity, long vs short cage, which direction to wrap your tape, and how much Mavic wheels suck.
    Yeah, but are Trek's good bikes and what height socks are most aero?

Also, can you tell me the most comfortable saddle, please?

Oh, and one more thing*... will I save enough watts by shaving my legs to turn pro?

Thanks in advance.

*Tip of the helmet to Peter Falk
    Discover The Source for Legitimate, Patent Technology Muscle, Fitness
    and Sports Supplements.

Best Pricing on serious cyclist favorites like 'SportLegs', 'Kre-Alkalyn'
    and 'Burn It Up' with Peak ATP.

http://www.BodyBuildingSupplements.com

Since 1993, Your Success is our success.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Unless you're trying to win a World Championship on the track in a very short event you don't need to be worrying about watts saved or gained by any particular lube. You want (or should want) something that stays on your chain, keeps it running quietly and smoothly, and is relatively easy to apply and keep clean. White Lightning fails at all of those. Use an 'oil' and learn to not bump your leg into the chainring when unclipped. Unclip your left foot when stopping, that helps. White Lightning and other wax lubes are the only things I won't use. I'm not very picky about lubrication as long as it's not WL or something like it. Light-medium oils are great. They do what they're supposed to and are easy to clean up. Don't use your own faults as reasons for using sub-par lubes.
    BwaaaHaaaaHaaaaa, ^^^^this^^^^. Buy cx a beer.

To the OP -

We all are searching for the next best road bike chain lube.
    No we're not. I can't speak for the others but I quit looking maybe 25 years ago.

I have been using white lightning wax lube
    Ok now I'm widya. I'd be still looking too if I hadn't gotten past this stuff in my search.

getting tired of the wet oil based lube that often left a grease tattoo
    You're doing something wrong. I use an oil-based lube and can't remember the last "grease tattoo" I had.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder's with motivation, information and resources.

Everything above, up to that blue line, is IMO IMO.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    troll
    Should we really be on the same roads as cars ?
    Stout beers under trees, please.

gazing from the shadows
    I think White Lightning is great.... for pedals. But for chains? Dry lubes displace and don't flow back to where they were. Which is obvious if you think about it. This is why I don't put a lot of faith in short term bench tests of freshly lubed chains when thinking about the real world of cycling.

Since I have not posted this in a long time, here's what I do for normal maintenance:

WD-40 a rag and wipe the chain. Backpedal the chain and lay a thin amount of lube on the chain (from the top, right in front of the derailleur). Spin the chain a few times. Then I pedal the bike in a relatively high gear to put pressure on the chain. This drives out any excess. Wipe the chain and ride for a long time.

If I slip, like if I have the lube drip bottle too far open, I pedal and wipe a couple of times. Then ride around the block, if my slip was particularly bad, before a final wipe. Does the trick.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    On my bikes, the chain runs within an inch of my inner thigh or knee. It's so close that if I don't shave that area, the chain will depil for me. For me, cleanliness is the number one concern, even ahead of actual lubricating value. Virtually every wet lube I've tried has left a greasy mark on my leg, so I've been using WL for years. With WL I may get a small mark on my leg, but it wipes off easily. I have to scrape off my jockey pulleys and cassette gears occasionally, but that's worth the price of not having greasy marks on my legs.

I'll happily take recommendations for other dry-type lubes as long as they don't leave an oily residue, including inside the chain. IMHO, if you have to wipe the chain down after lubing to be 'clean', then the lube isn't really clean.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    This game is ON!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's all I'm gonna say. Let the war begin, and all that... On my upright bike cleanliness isn't so important and I don't have a favorite lube.

Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    That's all I'm gonna say. Let the war begin, and all that... On my upright bike cleanliness isn't so important and I don't have a favorite lube.
    Pretty sure the name of the forum is 'Road Bike Review'...not 'Recumbent Review'.

wut?
    A member of my club swears by rock and roll absolute dry lube. ...Can anyone share their experiences with it...
    Thanks in advance
    RNR Absolute Dry is a excellent lube for most road cycling conditions. Can't tell you about the composition, but it does it's job very well. Try it! It is a lot cleaner and lower maintenance than the Gold formula (which is also a very good lube for dirty conditions).
    There I was...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Rookie.
    'Amateur' is a far more devastating insult.

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    I've been using molten speed wax so far this year... Love it.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fatboy Comp

I love to climb!
    Though it seems I'm in the minority, I'm a fan of white lightning. Yes, it's a little more of a hassle to apply, since you need to let it set up, and it ends up costing a little more, because it doesn't seem to last as long as other lubes. But the chain runs fine and stays clean when used properly.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post
    Though it seems I'm in the minority, I'm a fan of white lightning. Yes, it's a little more of a hassle to apply, since you need to let it set up, and it ends up costing a little more, because it doesn't seem to last as long as other lubes. But the chain runs fine and stays clean when used properly.
    If one defines clean as completely black and gunky, then yes - WL keeps the chain clean.

I love to climb!
    Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post
    If one defines clean as completely black and gunky, then yes - WL keeps the chain clean.
    I've never had that issue on any of my bikes. (Though I certainly have on customers' bikes; they probably apply too much, too frequently, without wiping the chain after applying the lube)
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

Darling of The Lounge
    Yet another lube thread...

Fecal indicator
    lubed my chain yesterday.

got 924 miles on this application interval...

gotta like that.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast