Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chain wax. Yes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Does it matter what weight synthetic oil for the "home brew"? I have some motorcycle 20-50 synthetic I used with my air cooled Ducati. Would that work? I'm deferring to those that might know. Thanks
    Peter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    If you like a gummy chain, use wax lube. I am so over wax lubes.

This is all I use now:

Chains

It does the same thing as that "space age" wet lube, but is way, way less expensive. Mike gets 10K+ miles out of his chains. I can't argue with that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    If you’re going to wax...

Do it right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ahhh, I love the smell, I had a bar melt in my van years ago when I surfed and it was the best car air freshener ever! That’s what summer should smell like!

I use wax on my mtb and it works well, that poor thing gets subjected to all kinds of hell the premadonna road bike never sees. Salt water, beach sand, snow and ice and muck. It’s a trooper. Chain has been fine so far.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    If you’re going to wax...

Do it right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That definitely brings back some memories!
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lauridsen View Post
    Does it matter what weight synthetic oil for the "home brew"? I have some motorcycle 20-50 synthetic I used with my air cooled Ducati. Would that work? I'm deferring to those that might know. Thanks
    Peter
    Hmmm. Most motor oils for cars are now much thinner than that. Mike T. lives in Canada, so he probably uses 5W20 or even 0W20. If you are using 20W50, use more mineral spirits like 75%/25%. The idea is that the home brew must be thin enough so it gets inside the rollers. The mineral spirits eventually evaporates and the oil is then inside where it will do some good. Remember that any lube on the outside of your chain only serves one purpose - to collect dirt! So, wipe, wipe, wipe!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    That definitely brings back some memories!
    Definately. We used to chew it while we waxed our sticks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    love those first few weeks when they're new. so quiet.
    This. Also, with replacement costing $12.99, there's a limit to how much I'm going to obsess nursing a chain along.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nope. Lillylube yes.

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    MSW user here... I don't think I'll ever go back to traditional lubes. They're so messy and don't last nearly as long.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fuse Comp

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by TricrossRich View Post
    MSW user here... I don't think I'll ever go back to traditional lubes. They're so messy and don't last nearly as long.
    Messy? Operator error, simple as that.

Longevity? You've been drinking.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I think it was meant as a joke. If not, well, what can I say? I fool and his/her money are soon parted.
    Oh, ok!

With the blizzard of innovation going on, disc brakes, compact gearing, single chainrings, pizza sized pie plates in back, and "wide rims" I'm conditioned to consider everything!

Oh, and MIPS helmets! The market is always looking for a better helmet! Squandering $350 on that piece of foam and plastic is nothing compared to cost of your head!

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Definitely doing it wrong. I average about 700-800mi between lubes. And no mess.
    MSW isn't lasting nearly as long.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    With the blizzard of innovation going on, disc brakes, compact gearing, single chainrings, pizza sized pie plates in back, and "wide rims" I'm conditioned to consider everything!
    Oh gawd! There you go again.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    i have never used chain wax, but it looks like it's A LOT of work to wax a chain!

But here's my opinion (yet another opinion) on chain lube, lol. I just use regular mineral spirit to dilute out any thick "winter" style lube. Then lube my bike every 2-3 rides. Lubing and cleaning with a rag regularly is the ONLY way to keep the chain clean. The diluted lube will both lube and clean the chain. Yeah that means more frequent lubing, but honestly it takes me 5 minutes to lube, 2 minutes if I'm in a hurry! Lube is lube. No such thing as a magical lube that will last more than 4-5 ride (if you care about your drivetrain).

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    i have never used chain wax, but it looks like it's A LOT of work to wax a chain!

But here's my opinion (yet another opinion) on chain lube, lol. I just use regular mineral spirit to dilute out any thick "winter" style lube. Then lube my bike every 2-3 rides. Lubing and cleaning with a rag regularly is the ONLY way to keep the chain clean. The diluted lube will both lube and clean the chain. Yeah that means more frequent lubing, but honestly it takes me 5 minutes to lube, 2 minutes if I'm in a hurry! Lube is lube. No such thing as a magical lube that will last more than 4-5 ride (if you care about your drivetrain).
    My habits are about the same. Maybe less rides but I take quite long rides generally.
    Yet, I lube my indoor trainer only bike maybe once a year (about 2000 indoor miles) weather it needs it or not.
    The moral of the story is it has more to do with conditions than lube, technique or whatever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lube is lube...No such thing as a magical lube that will last more than 4-5 ride (if you care about your drivetrain).
    ha...

good one.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    ha...

good one.
    lol I didn't realize the imagery until you pointed out. Male keywords, "lube" and "rides" to ascribe bicycle chain maintenance!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lauridsen View Post
    Peter
    I can't tell the difference. I have been using homebrew for about 20 years now. I have tried synthetic versus conventional, different viscosity oil, and I cannot tell the difference, at least by just riding. I used the spend a lot more time worrying about this stuff, but at this stage I believe the difference between most chain lubes is negligible

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Messy? Operator error, simple as that.

Longevity? You've been drinking.
    Ohhh... sly use of emoticons. Yes, messy... please, operator error. You act as if there's never been such a thing as a chainring tattoo. Now, you may be right, staying on top of cleaning, wiping it down etc, limits the likelihood of a tattoo, but it still messy. You drop a chain on a ride and if you need to pick it up to put it back on, you're gonna end up with a greasy hand, plain and simple. No matter how clean you think you keep your bike, that's gonna be the result. Its also something you have to stay on top of to eep it clean. With a waxed chain, I literally put it on and don't think about it again.

As far as longevity, yes... The lubes I've used recommend cleaning and re-lubing 200-400 miles. I'm getting 600 miles out of a waxed chain and that's without pushing it.

Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Definitely doing it wrong. I average about 700-800mi between lubes. And no mess.
    MSW isn't lasting nearly as long.
    what lube are you using that is going 700-800 miles?.... that isn't getting messy pushing it that long.

I think its funny that so many people that "have never used chain wax" are chiming in on thread about chain wax, claiming they must know how bad it is. In terms of the work, it takes... I thought the same thing, until I actually tried it. It does take more times, initially. You have to get the chain very clean. I usually let it soak in degreaser for a few hours and then run it through an ultra-sonic cleaner a few times just to make sure. I heat the wax using a small slow-cooker, which takes maybe 45 minutes to get the wax up to temp. String the chain on to a hanger and dip it, swish it around for 45-60 seconds, take it out and let it hang to dry. I use 2 chains for each bike, so I always have one hanging, ready to use. I pop the quick-link, pull the chain, put a new one on and boom, I'm done. It literally takes maybe 5 minutes. The chain that comes off, I can then clean and re-wax, at my leisure, over the next few days. With the new chain on, shifting is a little stiff and the chain is a little noisy for the first 20 minutes or so until the wax is broken in.

You're right... there's no magical lubes. They all have drawbacks and they all have advantages. It always amazes me how angry and ready to start an argument people are when you suggest that someone might want to try waxing when their not happy with traditional lubes... as if you've insulted their children or something.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    what lube are you using that is going 700-800 miles?.... that isn't getting messy pushing it that long.
    Chain-L. 700-800 is the average. Even more in dry conditions.

So by "getting messy" you mean the chain getting "greasy"? It's as "messy" after 50mi as it is after 500mi.

You act as if there's never been such a thing as a chainring tattoo. Now, you may be right, staying on top of cleaning, wiping it down etc, limits the likelihood of a tattoo, but it still messy. You drop a chain on a ride and if you need to pick it up to put it back on, you're gonna end up with a greasy hand, plain and simple. No matter how clean you think you keep your bike, that's gonna be the result.
    Chainring tattoo? Literally the last thing I worry about. The likelyhood... absolute zero. Haven't had one of those since.... can't remember how many years.

Dropping a chain? Can't remember the last one of those either, probably since the invention of chain catchers. But in the odd event it would happen, it results in grease on thumb and finger... not the whole hand. 2 seconds to wipe it the grass an on your way.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Ohhh... sly use of emoticons. Yes, messy... please, operator error. You act as if there's never been such a thing as a chainring tattoo. Now, you may be right, staying on top of cleaning, wiping it down etc, limits the likelihood of a tattoo, but it still messy. You drop a chain on a ride and if you need to pick it up to put it back on, you're gonna end up with a greasy hand, plain and simple. No matter how clean you think you keep your bike, that's gonna be the result. Its also something you have to stay on top of to eep it clean. With a waxed chain, I literally put it on and don't think about it again.

As far as longevity, yes... The lubes I've used recommend cleaning and re-lubing 200-400 miles. I'm getting 600 miles out of a waxed chain and that's without pushing it.

I think its funny that so many people that "have never used chain wax" are chiming in on thread about chain wax, claiming they must know how bad it is. In terms of the work, it takes... I thought the same thing, until I actually tried it. It does take more times, initially. You have to get the chain very clean. I usually let it soak in degreaser for a few hours and then run it through an ultra-sonic cleaner a few times just to make sure. I heat the wax using a small slow-cooker, which takes maybe 45 minutes to get the wax up to temp. String the chain on to a hanger and dip it, swish it around for 45-60 seconds, take it out and let it hang to dry. I use 2 chains for each bike, so I always have one hanging, ready to use. I pop the quick-link, pull the chain, put a new one on and boom, I'm done. It literally takes maybe 5 minutes. The chain that comes off, I can then clean and re-wax, at my leisure, over the next few days. With the new chain on, shifting is a little stiff and the chain is a little noisy for the first 20 minutes or so until the wax is broken in.

You're right... there's no magical lubes. They all have drawbacks and they all have advantages. It always amazes me how angry and ready to start an argument people are when you suggest that someone might want to try waxing when their not happy with traditional lubes... as if you've insulted their children or something.
    Based on your logic, I would have to try every single thing in life to be able to speak about it, then I'd in for a miserable experience because I would have to literally experience every single failure event in order to say some method is not working. But thankfully, humans have the capacity for abstraction. We can sort of integrate the information given to us, without ever experiencing the information personally, and use our brain to integrate if that solution would work for our case and if so to what extent. Well, in this thread, Cxwrench has chimed in, and I know that he's an experience mech, so his opinion probably means more than say a 13 year old hasn't wrench a bike in his life. And Cxwrench is not alone in this thread. There are many experienced riders in this thread also asking, "what's wrong with regular old lube"? So, what exactly do you find "funny" about my comments?? My comments would be funny if most of the guys in here support the chain wax procedure and claim it to be 1000% superior to regular old lube. And honestly, the procedure you describe above, having 2 chains, taking 45 minutes to heat up the wax, and the vidoe showing how waxing is done, sounds like a lot of work compared to my 2-5 minute regular chain lubing? I'd like hear your argument weighing the superiority of using chainwax versus the ease applying el cheapo chain lube in literally 2-5 min

RoadBikeReview Member
    Anybody want to talk about the benefits of wider tires and lower pressures?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd like hear your argument weighing the superiority of using chainwax versus the ease applying el cheapo chain lube in literally 2-5 min
    There's 2 arguments.
    One is regular lube is messy and it's difficult to keep your body parts from touching a messy chain.

Two is chain wax has "magic" properties (like ceramic bearings) that make you super fast with those extra 5 (claimed) watts they save. Like the OP link where they claim it's the "Fastest chain lube in Velo Magazine test". But if you've actually read the Velo Magazine test (I have), and know anything about testing (I do), the test method is utter horse$h!t.

RoadBikeReview Member
    lol I didn't realize the imagery until you pointed out. Male keywords, "lube" and "rides" to ascribe bicycle chain maintenance!
    that's not what was amusing about your post...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    wow I remember when this discussion started, some time in the late 80s. unresolved I guess.

i just buy whatever is on the checkout counter at the LBS. one less thing to have to think about

I will observe this though: man bike lubricants go a long ways. I still have chain lube (Pedros) from the 90s, along with newer ones. even half a tin of 20 yr old Judy Butter. and half a tube of Philwood grease from at least 13 years ago
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    So, what exactly do you find "funny" about my comments?? My comments would be funny if most of the guys in here support the chain wax procedure and claim it to be 1000% superior to regular old lube. And honestly, the procedure you describe above, having 2 chains, taking 45 minutes to heat up the wax, and the vidoe showing how waxing is done, sounds like a lot of work compared to my 2-5 minute regular chain lubing? I'd like hear your argument weighing the superiority of using chainwax versus the ease applying el cheapo chain lube in literally 2-5 min
    what's funny is that you're pretending to be an expert and offering advice on which way is better, without having tried both options. Its like asking someone, "what is better, Pizza or Tacos?" and they tell you, "Pizza, but I've never tried Tacos, but this guy over here had tacos and he said they weren't good, so I think pizza is the best."

Additionally, do you think I'm standing there watching the wax melt in the slow-cooker for 45 minutes? Have you never used a slow-cooker in your life? You literally plug it in and walk away, go about your business and come back to it when its time to drop the chain in. It takes 10 seconds to plug in and 45 seconds to drop the chain in. Now, if you're suggesting a normal chain lube takes 2-5 minutes, I'd argue that you're not doing it correctly... You're not properly removing old, dirty lube from the chain and then you're not allow the new lube to dry on the chain as per most manufacturer's recommendations... The ones I used, muc-off, Boe-shield T-9, Dumonde Tech, etc... all recommended he chain sit overnight.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast