Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chainring swap?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017

Chainring swap?

Hello I'm currently running 10 speed Sram Red. My crankset is 53/39t I'm wondering if it's possible to swap out my smaller chainring for a 36t?
    Not sure if this would cause any problems or if it's even possible.. I'm just looking for a better gear ratio for my riding style.
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock4 View Post
    Hello I'm currently running 10 speed Sram Red. My crankset is 53/39t I'm wondering if it's possible to swap out my smaller chainring for a 36t?
    Not sure if this would cause any problems or if it's even possible.. I'm just looking for a better gear ratio for my riding style.
    Thanks!

Its probably possible, and should work fine, although I think that most manufacturers don't recommend more than a 16 tooth gap between big and little ring.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fatboy Comp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TricrossRich View Post
    Its probably possible, and should work fine, although I think that most manufacturers don't recommend more than a 16 tooth gap between big and little ring.
    That's my main concern, if the large gap would cause problems with the derailleur or something...

HERKWO
    The problem you'll find is that you have a 130 BCD (Bolt Circle Diameter) for your existing SRAM crankset. Finding a 130 BCD 36t chainring is gonna be tough. 130 BCD x 38t is the smallest I've seen available...
    I think you'll have to invest in a compact crankset to go smaller... or change your cassette to a 28t to ease the climbing or swap derailleurs to one of the SRAM wifli derailleurs which should allow you to go to a 32t cassette and achieve what you are after??
    Last edited by Herkwo; 04-19-2017 at 07:08 AM.
    HERKWO

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by TricrossRich View Post
    Wrong. You can't mount a 36t (110mmBCD) chainring on a 130mm BCD crank.

That's my main concern, if the large gap would cause problems with the derailleur or something...

And yes, the gap between 53 and 36 is beyond the spec of the front derailleur. It would work if you could do it, but not well.
    Op...please post in the proper section of the forum, don't just drop everything in General.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Herkwo View Post
    The problem you'll find is that you have a 130 BCD (Bolt Circle Diameter) for your existing SRAM crankset. Finding a 130 BCD 36t chainring is gonna be tough. 130 BCD x 38t is the smallest I've seen available...
    I think you'll have to invest in a compact crankset to go smaller... or change your cassette to a 28t to ease the climbing or swap derailleurs to one of the SRAM wifli derailleurs which should allow you to go to a 32t cassette and achieve what you are after??
    What if I were to change both chainrings? Would I still be able to use my existing arms? Or is that where the BCD measurement comes into play? Sorry if these questions are lame.
    Also I have already changed my rear cassette from 11-23 to 11-28.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Wrong. You can't mount a 36t (110mmBCD) chainring on a 130mm BCD crank.

And yes, the gap between 53 and 36 is beyond the spec of the front derailleur. It would work if you could do it, but not well.
    Op...please post in the proper section of the forum, don't just drop everything in General.
    Relax. Bro.

What if I were to change both chainrings? Would I still be able to use my existing arms? Or is that where the BCD measurement comes into play? Sorry if these questions are lame.
    Also I have already changed my rear cassette from 11-23 to 11-28.

No...you can't mount a 36 on a 130mm crank. Changing the big ring isn't going to change this. Look at your crank where the rings mount and it should be obvious. If you want a 34 or 36 you have to have a 110mm crank. Unless you're using Shimano cranks, which you aren't. As posted above 38 is the smallest ring you can mount on a 130 crank.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Bummer! Thanks for the help guys!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by eder10986 View Post
    Relax. Bro.

I'm not your 'bro' and I'll post how I please. This is your first post here, you really could have tried a little harder to contribute to the actual issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    i'm not your 'bro' and i'll post how i please. This is your first post here, you really could have tried a little harder to contribute to the actual issue.
    Bro
    Fred-li-ness is not a virtue, it's a way of life.

Embark on Fredly endeavors.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ...I'll post how I please...
    If you can post how you please. Others can too.

i.e. I'll post in whatever forum I want!

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Relax. Bro.
    He said please. How much more relaxed do you want your Bro to be?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by arai_speed View Post
    If you can post how you please. Others can too.

i.e. I'll post in whatever forum I want!
    Really? You put cxwrench's post - the actual definitive answer to the OP's question - on par with the one-post troll's useless comment?

Don't give up cxwrench - for every arai_speed, factory feel and eder10986, there are scores of us who really value your input.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    Really? You put cxwrench's post - the actual definitive answer to the OP's question - on par with the one-post troll's useless comment?

Don't give up cxwrench - for every arai_speed, factory feel and eder10986, there are scores of us who really value your input.
    No.

I put his relentless dribble about posting in the right section on par with every one-post troll comment.

You can bundle me in the to the "troll" category if that makes you feel better. I would value his input a lot more if he gave up on his compulsive disorder to request that everyone do as he says. Really.

a real member's member
    I'm just looking for a better gear ratio for my riding style.
    use a gear calc like this one: Mike Sherman's Bicycle Gear Calculator

you'll find changes to your cassette make a bigger impact than changes to your chainrings.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017
    My apologies for my un welcomed first post.

Truthfully I LOVE the sport. Love my bike. And everything about it all. Y'all don't know me and I don't know you so we shouldn't judge one another.

Simply put I thought it rude to call someone out who was asking for help. But all forums are like this anyhow.

Again. Sorry. And sorry for taking away from the TRUE purpose of this post which I read in its entirety to learn and progress.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post

blome, bro

RoadBikeReview Member
    Welcome to the forum - thick skin is required sometimes here as it can get a bit dramatic.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    blome, bro
    Okay, that was funny

Matnlely Dregaend
    This needs to be added to the faq thread because bros have asked this question at least a hundred times.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    As cxwrench so accurately pointed out, all you have to do is look at your smallest chain ring as mounted on the crank and you can clearly see that there is no way to fit a smaller ring on that crank. You need a new crank to mount smaller chain rings or a wider range cassette. The new cassette would be cheapest and the new crank would be a better solution because you wouldn't end in with such big tooth jumps on the cassette. It's your money so you get to choose which works better for you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Relax. Bro.

Cxwrench is cranky at times, but has the most mech. knowledge of anyone on the forum
    You will learn to appreciate him.

Just don't use "brifter"

Quote Originally Posted by arai_speed View Post
    No.

I put his relentless dribble about posting in the right section on par with every one-post troll comment.

You can bundle me in the to the "troll" category if that makes you feel better. I would value his input a lot more if he gave up on his compulsive disorder to request that everyone do as he says. Really.
    It's not that I want people to do what I say, it's the way the forum is set up. You think I have some kind of compulsive disorder, I think you're a slob. Not really a big deal, but if the forum has different sections to keep things organized and you don't use them what does that suggest? The idea is to post your questions in the appropriate place, not lump them all into the first section that ends up in front of you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    It's not that I want people to do what I say, it's the way the forum is set up. You think I have some kind of compulsive disorder, I think you're a slob. Not really a big deal, but if the forum has different sections to keep things organized and you don't use them what does that suggest? The idea is to post your questions in the appropriate place, not lump them all into the first section that ends up in front of you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast