Thread: Classic 3300

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007

Classic 3300

Hey guys. Here are some pics of the Classic 3300. Sorry if they're a little dark for your monitor. I'll take some out in the sun soon. I don't know much about road bikes, but the Sora bits seem to work just fine. I'm pretty suprised at how nice a bike it is for the price. That's my Section 29 in beside it. A killer bike itself.

ps. Does the lights and mirror make me a fred?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Wow, the classic design looks better than I anticipiated.

Get some real world weights for the bike stock?

please, hehe =]

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    On a digital bathroom scale in stock trim except for Shimano PD520 SPD pedals, it weighs in at 23 lbs (it's a 54cm). I'm not totally sure how accurate that scale is. The weight is fine with me as I don't race and need a durable bike. I thought it would have been cool if Ibex still used the downtube shifters like last years offering, but the sora shifters work well. The downtube shifters are truly classic though. I put some more miles on it earlier and I'm impressed with Ibex once again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    You just got it because your Section 29 matches didn't you! haha....Funny thing is...I really wanted that 29 before I bought my Kona and now I want the 3300. Have you ridden many other road bikes? I have no experience on road bikes and I'm looking at getting into the sport and $400 is about the right price. How is the quality? Between an entry level bike from a shop at $700 and this bike for $300 less I don't see how I can go wrong. Right now I'm inbetween the Aprisa 4500 and the flat bar series Corida. Decisions Decisions! Well, Congrats on a pretty cool bike. Keep posting and let us know how it holds up.
    jon

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    No, but I think it's cool that they do match. "I think I'll ride the yellow one today" This is the first road bike I've ever been on. I was originally looking at the Motobecane Vent Noir, but I didn't want to spend that much in the end. For the money spent, you get a very solid build IMO (I haven't been able to find a better specd bike around this pricepoint). I guess it's a little heavy compared to higher end road bikes, but that's fine as it will only make me a stronger rider overall. I've put 39 miles on it so far with no problems other than having to make a few small adjustments to the derailleurs (cable tension). I'm a mountain biker first and foremost, and it's nice having something that's faster and more efficient on the roads without eating those expensive 29" tires.

Overall, it looks good, rides good, and feels good. It puts a smile on my face riding it on old country roads. Good luck on your decision and ride safely.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    28 mile ride today. Top speed - 41 MPH. Time - Roughly 2.5 hours.

I take my road bike offroad.

Artsy Fartsy B/W shot. There is a no parking sign above the bike. I'm such a REBEL.

This is one of those watering implements. I've always thought they were cool.

I was going 27 (in a 20mph zone, haha) around this sharp curve. At the same time, this beast was headed straight for me. I stopped and got the hell out of the way, lol. I did think for a second that getting hit by one of these would be pretty manly. WTF?

I had a good time today and the bike rode great.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    very cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Hey guys. There's now exactly 145 miles on the classic. I made a few minor adustments for comfort and the bike still works flawlessly. I've got to hand it to the dedicated road riders. You guys know how to suffer! ;) For some strange reason, I keep coming back for more punishment. Ride safely, everyone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Croscoe, what is causing yuou the most discomfort? I actually prefer road bars as there are multiple positions for your hands...I get a lot of numbness on my MTB.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    I rotated the bars forward to see if that would alleviate some hand numbness. I made a mental note of the bends in the drops, so that my hands would fall more naturally on them and the hoods. I'm recovering today so I didn't want to take it out for a long ride, but it seems to be doing the trick. The bike seems to handle a little better. I also tilted the saddle forward 2.5 degress to relieve some pressure on that *region*.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Well, on my road bike I just chucked the drop bars and went to a lighter mtb stem and riser/bar end combo.

I have to say that it is a lot easier climbing for some reason on wide bars (ss).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    35 mile ride today on the roadie. 81 miles on a bike since sunday. I was aiming for 50, but ran out of water. I found a Terry Zero saddle for $20 and it's leaps and bounds more comfortable than the stock saddle. This was the best ride I've been on while on the road. Rolling hills, headwinds, drizzling rain, old country roads, etc. A great day to ride. I need to harden the "F" up and start doing 75 mile rides everyday ;). Sorry if some of the pics are a bit redundant.

Screwing around with the camera:

A huge post office:

Also a huge town hall:

Back home... almost:

Killer tan:
    Last edited by croscoe; 10-23-2007 at 01:32 PM.

Home Brew User!
    Jul 2004
    Great Ride report. In the future you should consider posting them in the Commuting, Touring and Ride Reports forum where it will get a little more exposure.
    Joined the other team in the name of the economy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    The classic can handle bombing down washboard dirt/gravel roads @ 30 mph. Sand? No dice. ;)

Good times indeed.

West Virginia Cyclist
    Croscoe - I love your attitude and enthusiasm! Makes me wanna make a photoshoot of my rides.
    There are cyclists in West Virginia??!! Really? - Check it Out @ WVCYCLING

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks man. In reality, I'm just a douchebag that enjoys a nice bike ride . I might be changing a few things around on the road bike in the future. I've done a few things to my 29er such as powdercoated frame, 1x6 drivetrain, custom wheelset with 38mm wide unicycle wheels, etc, etc, etc... basically making things more personal and more fun.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    100% less urine flavor! 100% more awesome raw aluminum taste!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looks great! Howdja do it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Chemical paint stripper followed by a good rub down with a scotch bright pad. ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007

Singletrackin'

Once again, this is a tough bike.

I took it for a ride on the local MTB trail and the bike handled this just fine. I rode the loop only using 1 gear just for kicks (58 inches - 42x19) and only had to shoulder it (ala' cx) twice. Who would have thought a road bike with 25s could slice and dice on some singletrack? The trail wasn't super technical or anything, but it's not a smooth path at all. Drop bars in the woods is really cool experience. You've really got to pick your lines carefully vs. plowing over everything with a MTB. Also, take the corners conservatively when the soil is loose. teehee. ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Pics O' the Pile:

I installed a pair of Michelin City tires. 700x28. The front tire was a very tight fit. Whenever I would ride through sand, I could hear the caliper scraping the sand off of the tread. I ground a little bit of the caliper with a dremel to gain an extra mm (some will sneer at this sort of thing, but I don't feel it's compromising saftey - there's no hard edges). I'm on the fence with these tires. They're more cushy than 25s, but at 1/2 lb. more per tire, I can feel the weight. The tires also feel squirmy. I'll try them a little longer, but I'm not sold on them yet. Dirt performance is so/so. They probably provide a little extra float, but it's minimal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    I'm liking these tires now. I upped the pressure to 100psi (R) and 85-90psi (F). Much better! The tires measure 29mm wide and are pretty comfy. I'm probably loosing a MPH or 2, and a little acceleration, but it's not that big of a deal.