Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

"Clean Bottle" is absolutely pointless

After my ride, I put a drop of dish soap in my water bottle, fill it with water, shake it up, squirt it out, and then rinse it out. It takes a total of about 60 seconds, and I don't get mold or any other issues. Is this really so hard to do?

The Clean Bottle just seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

What did you say? Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by krott5333 View Post
    The Clean Bottle just seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
    [car salesman voice] Yes. So you do want to buy a dozen. right? [/car salesman voice]
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

J T
    Dreamer
    Aug 2010
    There are suckers in every facet of life. If you were making money off of that product, I'm sure you wouldn't be complaining about the existence of it.
    Last edited by J T; 07-12-2011 at 09:02 AM. Reason: typo

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by J T View Post
    There are suckers in ever facet of life. If you were making money off of that product, I'm sure you wouldn't be complaining about the existence of it.
    not at all. I'm criticizing the consumers of the product, not the producer. I can never blame someone for making a profitable product, unless it crosses an ethical or moral boundary.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    20 years of biking and I have never had any gunk in my bottles. Top rack dishwasher is all it takes.

Schmuck
    Dec 2004
    Id trade BIG money to go back in time and see that press car take out that cleanbottle jackass instead of Flecha and Hoogerland.

I run my bottles through the dishwasher, but turn off the drying cycle. Never an issue. And when they finallly do give up the ghost and leak from whatever heat distortion they endure in the washer, which is usually after a good long period of time, I just toss em in the recycle bin.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't need them, either, but I can see the utility. Your method works fine as long as you remember to do it promptly. (I rinse it and then stick it in the dishwasher if in doubt.) But have you ever forgotten to rinse out a bottle with residue of sports drink or the like, and had it left in a corner for a few days, so mold grows thickly and then dries up? It can be hard to clean that stuff. A bottle brush, and a trip through the dishwasher, will usually do it. But some people, maybe a little bit clean-freaks, will be grossed out, and reluctant to use that bottle unless they can really scrub it and see it well. An extra 4 or 5 bucks to make that possible doesn't seem like such a dumb purchase.

So I disagree with your assertion that it is "absolutely pointless." Unnecessary for you, but with a legitimate use for others.
    Ubuntu: I am what I am because of who we all are.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    I don't need them, either, but I can see the utility. Your method works fine as long as you remember to do it promptly. (I rinse it and then stick it in the dishwasher if in doubt.) But have you ever forgotten to rinse out a bottle with residue of sports drink or the like, and had it left in a corner for a few days, so mold grows thickly and then dries up? It can be hard to clean that stuff. A bottle brush, and a trip through the dishwasher, will usually do it. But some people, maybe a little bit clean-freaks, will be grossed out, and reluctant to use that bottle unless they can really scrub it and see it well. An extra 4 or 5 bucks to make that possible doesn't seem like such a dumb purchase.

So I disagree with your assertion that it is "absolutely pointless." Unnecessary for you, but with a legitimate use for others.
    I have and the toughest part to get clean is the top of the bottle because of the screw on threads. This product just doubles that problem area. So I guess I can't agree that it's a good idea for that situation.....or any that I can think of.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    The Clean Bottle is the answer to a question no cyclist who owns a one-dollar bottle brush from K-Mart has ever asked.

Back from the dead
    This is why I have lots of bottles. If I forget to clean one, I just grab another one. Meanwhile, I put a bit of bleach and some water in the disgusting bottle, shake it all up, then leave it on the counter for a few hours. When I come back, it is almost brand spankin' new. No scrubbing, no brush, not much effort at all.

Fecal indicator
    are CBs insulated? if not, they're worthless to me.

oh, and their mascot really annoys me...
    eff all y'all...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RkFast View Post
    Id trade BIG money to go back in time and see that press car take out that cleanbottle jackass instead of Flecha and Hoogerland.
    Why the hate toward the bottle guy?

Schmuck
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    The fact hees running on a race course in a stupid outfit, poaching free TV time and potentially interfering with the race, just so he can promote his half-baked product.

I know its been going on for a long time and part and parcel of the sport, but running on the course bothers me and in my peabrain head doing it to promote a product raises it to a new level of jackassery. At least the basques and the other nincompoops are just drunk and having fun.
    Last edited by RkFast; 07-12-2011 at 07:21 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair View Post
    This is why I have lots of bottles. If I forget to clean one, I just grab another one. Meanwhile, I put a bit of bleach and some water in the disgusting bottle, shake it all up, then leave it on the counter for a few hours. When I come back, it is almost brand spankin' new. No scrubbing, no brush, not much effort at all.
    Thats what I do with my shaker bottles if I leave whey protein residue.. the smell is horrible, but a splash of bleach and some water, as good as new!

And the clean bottle mascot is actually the owner of the company.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    My wife loves the bottle guy. She thinks he is hilarious (he makes me laugh, too, to tell you the truth). She has me let her know when they get on a climb so she can see what everyone is doing (she couldn't care less about the racing, though). So he's helping bring at least one occasional viewer to the Tour!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    I like the Clean Bottle guy a lot more than Mark Cavendish. He is a much better climber too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There's some kind of "spot the bottle guy" contest going on. http://cleanbottle.com/

That's why you're seeing him on every stage.
    Don't take anything I say seriously.

Banned forever.....or not
    I wash out my bottles every year or so......(but I only put water in them)

If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by krott5333 View Post
    not at all. I'm criticizing the consumers of the product, not the producer. I can never blame someone for making a profitable product, unless it crosses an ethical or moral boundary.
    Funny, my wife and I had this very conversation yesterday. It's a solution without a problem!

On the other hand, they sell bottled water for more than the price of gasoline.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    I bought 3, 2 of which the plastic cracked

for stuff like accelerade left in for a few days they are easier to clean, but for normal washing I ended up leaving the bottom on anyway.

LC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    If your going to put a bottle over your head and run down the road then choose the Clean Bottle. The screw off bottom really helps give you air so you can run much further.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I guess my Tour watching has been a little spotty. I have not seen the Clean Bottle Guy. I didn't know there was a Clean Bottle Guy. I was defending the product in theory. I guess I'll have to try to catch a glimpse and see what's got you all so up in arms.

But generally, people dressing up in goofy things and running along the road to get on TV at the Tour is just part of the wacky spectacle. It's been there for a long time. This is a professional sporting event with a large commercial aspect, not a sacred ritual.

I haven't seen Didi yet this year, either, come to think of it.
    Ubuntu: I am what I am because of who we all are.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle7775 View Post
    There's some kind of "spot the bottle guy" contest going on. http://cleanbottle.com/

That's why you're seeing him on every stage.
    Hi all, when I first read this post I thought it said "There's some kind of spot on the bottle guy" Now that would be funny - a big dirty spot on the clean bottle guy ;-)

Later, Axlenut

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I have one for my gatoraide only. I like being able to take it apart rainse it out and leave it apart to dry for the next ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009

my tour wish

I keep hoping the clean bottle guy would trip, fall, and start rolling down the road with the riders bunny hopping over him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast