RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017

Cleat Placemend and Knee

Good-day,

Current practice with cleat placement states that the spindle should be some distance behind the ball of your foot. In my case, this is approximately 10mm. Does this change the the practice of having the knee cap plumb with the spindle?

Thank you

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jjspike View Post
    Current practice with cleat placement states that the spindle should be some distance behind the ball of your foot. In my case, this is approximately 10mm. Does this change the the practice of having the knee cap plumb with the spindle?
    KOPS (knee over pedal spindle) is simply a starting point for fitting. Anyone who tells you it is a "practice" is either wrongly dogmatic or simply misinformed. Experience fitters will tell you that once the fit is dialed in, the range is around KOPS +1/-2 cm. Spinners tend to like being more forward, and people who like lower cadence tend to be farther back. Same applies to folks with shorter femurs and longer femurs, but these are just generalizations and fit comprises several other factors.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    To follow up on Kerry's post: Because KOPS is usually established at rest and ignores plantar- and dorsiflexion of the foot, it can never be more than a starting point. Quite a few people fail to realize that the fore-aft position of the knee changes substantially when raising or dropping the heel during the crank revolution and in response to differing degrees of effort.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Thank you both for the clarification.

Cheers!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Try this vid for KOPS myth busting.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    You can analyze this to death, but the best cleat position is the one that feels right. Start out with it set in the center, and then if you feel that you'd be more comfortable with your foot a little more forward, to the right, etc., move the cleat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    you can analyze this to death, but the best cleat position is the one that feels right. Start out with it set in the center, and then if you feel that you'd be more comfortable with your foot a little more forward, to the right, etc., move the cleat.
    ftw! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2015
    I recently got a new pair of shoes, and it took a long time to get the cleat position right (it's still not perfect). I started off with the ball of my foot forward of the spindle, and less than an hour in, I could barely ride anymore, it was hurting so bad. Kept sliding the cleat forward, until I realized in my old shoes the ball of my foot is actually behind the spindle. I ride on my toes, so to speak. But for me, that's comfortable. My calves never get tired, or sore, so I guess I've gotten used to being on my toes and activating my calves that much.

Point is, as has been said, it's very much a personal opinion and whatever your body wants to do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've tried the cleats in the most forward and rearward positions and only came up with what was popular at the time...Cleats closest to the front felt better for sprints/out-of-saddle climbing, towards the rear felt best for longer threshold-type riding.
    They're now somewhere in the middle.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!