Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by toki View Post
    At the same time you must find enjoyment in all this, because you won't want to do it over and over
    This positive mental attitude is one of the more important things about climbing. Optimal power to weight ratio is wasted if a person pi$$es and whines at the first sight of a rise in the road. They're never going to do well on hills. They have to love hills and crave the burn that they produce and want to repeat it over & over.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder's with motivation, information and resources.

Everything above, up to that blue line, is IMO IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    One should also train her/his aerobic engine beyond cycling. I like swimming for example. Swimming distances of 2-3 km at a relatively quick pace will increase your lung capacity and also effectiveness in supplying the oxygen to the body.

At the same time, swimming alone, without targeted dry exercises, will not overly increase your upper body muscle mass, as some cyclists fear. It needs higher resistance training for that.
    Swimming is just right to properly tone you up all over. Especially your core, which is more important to cycling as many think.
    Last edited by toki; 05-03-2017 at 05:40 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2016
    Losing weight will help. One guy I've ridden with for a few years used to never even be close to me on the hills. He was 6' 190 lbs. He is now 165 lbs and is right on my tail up the hills. He also improved his cadence...he is now in the 90's instead of the 70's.
    Three years ago I decided I wanted to be a beast up the hills. I went to the hill in my area that seems to be the toughest and rode it, and rode it, and rode it. One time I rode up and down it 4 times in a row - my riding friends thought I was nuts. Ever since then hills don't bother me and I enjoy them.
    Also, riding hills is about pushing yourself both physically and mentally.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    You've been riding for a year now so really you've only just started. Don't as others have already mentioned do more hills. Doing hill repeats will do nothing but burn you out & make you hate your bike, period. You need a structured plan if you want to improve as a rider. Don't just focus on one area because that is too narrow a view. A personal coach would really help in this case. Because you need to sit down & focus on the areas that you may be lacking in & then allot whatever time you have available to you to address these issues & design a program for you so that you don't burn out mentally or physically. If a coach is not possible then there are other options.

First off 1800 miles is nothing. Basically you need to ride & ride more mileage. You need to structure your rides & make them enjoyable if you want to continue in this sport. Doing the same things over & over again will only lead to stagnation & burn out. You are riding with a group, is it a club? If not then you should consider joining a club & be persistent in doing as many of the club rides & races as possible. Finding a good club with a good reputation & good ride leaders will really help in getting you in the right direction.

The main thing for you is to lose weight & riding more will help you achieve that goal. As others have said its power to weight ratio. Losing weight without focusing specifically on hills will actually help you climb better overall. And the other thing is to watch what you eat. At 170 lbs, you didn't get there without help obviously . You need to eat better nutritionally & be more aware of what you are actually putting into you ie. making more home cooked meals vs eating out or store bought prepared meals, drinking less pop or sugary drinks. Good luck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
    You: Target your weight to be at or below 125lbs.
    Gearing: Have your final gear ratio be at 36/23t or 36/25t.
    Saddle: Tip the nose of the saddle slightly down.
    Hand Placement: Death grip on the top bar... J/K Relax your arms and hands.

Also, do more squats and deadlifts.
    Why would you post this kind of total crap for a person looking for honest advice? Those will never be suitable gears for an overweight new rider looking to become a better climber.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stan01 View Post
    Don't as others have already mentioned do more hills. Doing hill repeats will do nothing but burn you out & make you hate your bike, period.

You need a structured plan if you want to improve as a rider.
    Different strokes for different folks. You can't say what will or will not burn someone out. People burn out on structured plans.
    For someone who just wants to ride their bike, then riding more and riding hills is pretty darn easy.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Thank you all for your valuable tips/suggestions. I think its time to take the riding to next level...get more miles and eat smartly to loose at least 10-15% of my body weight...!! Thanks again for encouragement!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    You've been riding for a year now so really you've only just started. Don't as others have already mentioned do more hills. Doing hill repeats will do nothing but burn you out & make you hate your bike, period. You need a structured plan if you want to improve as a rider. Don't just focus on one area because that is too narrow a view. A personal coach would really help in this case. Because you need to sit down & focus on the areas that you may be lacking in & then allot whatever time you have available to you to address these issues & design a program for you so that you don't burn out mentally or physically. If a coach is not possible then there are other options.

First off 1800 miles is nothing. Basically you need to ride & ride more mileage. You need to structure your rides & make them enjoyable if you want to continue in this sport. Doing the same things over & over again will only lead to stagnation & burn out. You are riding with a group, is it a club? If not then you should consider joining a club & be persistent in doing as many of the club rides & races as possible. Finding a good club with a good reputation & good ride leaders will really help in getting you in the right direction.

The main thing for you is to lose weight & riding more will help you achieve that goal. As others have said its power to weight ratio. Losing weight without focusing specifically on hills will actually help you climb better overall. And the other thing is to watch what you eat. At 170 lbs, you didn't get there without help obviously . You need to eat better nutritionally & be more aware of what you are actually putting into you ie. making more home cooked meals vs eating out or store bought prepared meals, drinking less pop or sugary drinks. Good luck.
    It could be that this person has a life that goes beyond cycling. Telling a new rider that 1800 miles in 10 months is "nothing" is total drivel. Telling him/her that doing more climbing is not a way to improve climbing is well, stupid (oh, I left out "period" because it is always preceded by a statement pulled from ones' ass).

Anything this rider does that provides quantifiable results is unlikely to lead to burnout. A structured riding regimen may be the exception this early in his riding. I'm just speculating, but, I'm thinking he does not see the podium on the Champs Elysees in his near future.
    Last edited by SwiftSolo; 05-03-2017 at 08:17 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Good luck OP... It will come in time. Just keep riding and pushing yourself.

Heck.... I love hills.. We have nothing really steep in Iowa, just a lot of rolling hills. I'm 6ft 200lbs.. Probably considered obese by BMI (I don't really need to know), at least I've lost 50 lbs since I started biking. But I can flat out fly up hills compared to most people that are not racers or have been.

I used to hate hills. I would mash the pedals and never get out of the saddle. Now I go with a higher cadence and lower gear and get out of the saddle when needed. Don't be afraid to push yourself to the limit. Like others have said, most of the time you will find a little extra in you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

Simple.

Many have said it but to be honest at your height if you want to climb better lose 30 lbs. I'm 5'9" and weight 152. I lost 35 LBS and do nothing but climb. Become a GOAT !!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    My teenage son at 5'10"/133 lbs will beat me by several bike lengths up hills with little perceived effort even when I'm pushing over 350 watts on the power meter at 180-182 lbs and the same height.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by greg12666 View Post
    Many have said it but to be honest at your height if you want to climb better lose 30 lbs. I'm 5'9" and weight 152. I lost 35 LBS and do nothing but climb. Become a GOAT !!
    To feel the full effect of that, put 30lbs of cat litter in a backpack and go climb a hill. Or.......ask the local pro to do the same thing and challenge him to an uphill race. He'll say you're nuts.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder's with motivation, information and resources.

Everything above, up to that blue line, is IMO IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Don't as others have already mentioned do more hills. Doing hill repeats will do nothing but burn you out & make you hate your bike, period. You need a structured plan if you want to improve as a rider.

I will agree that hill repeats can get boring. I disagree that riding more hills won't help. It certainly will. Definitely ride more hills. But rather than doing hill repeats, find a route (preferably a loop) with many hills. Hills are psychologically easier if 1) you can see the top (winding hills suck) and 2) there is a nice view and a downhill on the other side.

The most important thing is you need to make it fun. As long as it's fun, you will do it more and get better.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    1) Yes losing weight will help but only to a point. Your body type and lifestyle will certainly dictate your weight. That weight should be one where you feel good and are able to produce the most power. Losing weight and feeling like crap because you have no energy will not make you climb faster.

2) Practice makes perfect. If hills you want to conquer then hills you must climb. I disagree with those that have said not to ride hills for fear of burn out.

3) Be both honest and realistic with yourself. You won't beat Contador up a climb anytime soon. Gains will come but they will be incremental and not always what you expect. Keep at it.

4) Most importantly. Have fun!
    Last edited by arai_speed; 05-04-2017 at 07:39 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    To feel the full effect of that, put 30lbs of cat litter in a backpack and go climb a hill. Or.......ask the local pro to do the same thing and challenge him to an uphill race. He'll say you're nuts.
    Just to be clear, you should be using UNUSED cat litter, right?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Just to be clear, you should be using UNUSED cat litter, right?
    Not if you want a better workout. 30lbs of cat litter that's been used will weigh more than 30lbs.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by arai_speed View Post
    1) Yes loosing weight will help but only to a point. Your body type and lifestyle will certainly dictate your weight. That weight should be one where you feel good and are able to produce the most power. Loosing weight and feeling like crap because you have no energy will not make you climb faster.
    Doesn't "loosing" weight just make it jiggle a lot more?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogus View Post
    Doesn't "loosing" weight just make it jiggle a lot more?
    Typo fixed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    One should also train her/his aerobic engine beyond cycling. I like swimming for example. Swimming distances of 2-3 km at a relatively quick pace will increase your lung capacity and also effectiveness in supplying the oxygen to the body.

At the same time, swimming alone, without targeted dry exercises, will not overly increase your upper body muscle mass, as some cyclists fear. It needs higher resistance training for that.
    Swimming is just right to properly tone you up all over. Especially your core, which is more important to cycling as many think.
    Swimming well has nothing to do with cycling well.

To ride well, you have to ride. Zero shortcuts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you can't keep a cadence of at least 75 rpm, then you need lower gearing.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Not if you want a better workout. 30lbs of cat litter that's been used will weigh more than 30lbs.
    Good point. I guess I should HTFU and go with used litter

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    If you can't keep a cadence of at least 75 rpm, then you need lower gearing.
    How many folks have you witnessed climbing 17% grades with a 75 RPM cadence?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalbiker View Post
    Swimming well has nothing to do with cycling well.

To ride well, you have to ride. Zero shortcuts.
    I disagree with you about swimming. There is plenty of stuff online that will support my claim. However, You missed my point, since I did not intend to substitute riding by swimming, but to do ANY exercise besides cycling, to supplement it. It just so happens to be swimming in my own case. Someone else would rather do running, or even play a team sport. Variety is always good.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I disagree with you about swimming. There is plenty of stuff online that will support my claim. However, You missed my point, since I did not intend to substitute riding by swimming, but to do ANY exercise besides cycling, to supplement it. It just so happens to be swimming in my own case. Someone else would rather do running, or even play a team sport. Variety is always good.
    Variety is fine if you want to be a well rounded human. But in regards to the OP... "how to improve climbing", swimming is irrelevant.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    I climb quite a bit and consider myself reasonably good at it. The "trick" is to climb often., vary the climbs and engage don't be so quick to use the easiest gear. The best way to make a hill feel easy is to ride climb a more difficult one. Unlike descending there's no skill involved, its just putting in the time.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast