RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Co-Motion Primera is in the HOUSE!

They shipped it from Kansas on Friday and I received it in Santa Barbara today! That's quick. Unfortunately, I didn't expect it today so I'll have to bring it home and assemble it tomorrow.

A lot of people are anxious for a ride. My kids, my in-laws, co-workers, etc. You notice I didn't mention my wife.

It really is my aim to build a good relationship between my wife and biking.

I've never had a tandem so any helpful pieces of advice are welcome. I've read Sheldon Brown's introduction to tandem riding and the responsibilities of the front guy, but personal experience from my fellow RBR's would be appreciated.

Tandems made anyone's biking relationship better? Mines great but the expanse or rift between my love of biking and my wife's indifference is evident.

Just in time for Labor Day Weekend and I signed up for the Solvang Prelude if any of you will be there Nov. 5th. I'll wear my RBR tribal jersey. Metallic Blue Co--Motion. Thanks in advance for any words of advice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I've done a decent amount of tandem riding with non-cyclists, mainly my S.O.. In addition to Sheldon's excellent advice, I will add the following, which applies whether you're on a tandem or not:

Cycling time has to be fun time (for the stoker, of course). By that I mean, first and foremost, talk and joke while you ride, but don't talk about anything to do with cycling if you can help it. Don't discuss how shifting works. Don't talk about professional races. Don't talk about your races. Don't talk about pedal stroke. Don't talk about how hard this thing is to steer compared to your own bike. Remember, if she found all this crap interesting, she'd already be a cyclist. Get the conversation on something your stoker would talk about at a party/dinner/etc with other non cyclists. Be easy going and make it seem like you don't care one whit how the other person performs. Remember, your wife doesn't have the "suffering is fun" mentality that draws most of us to cycling, or else she'd already be into it. To others, only pure fun is fun, but I find they can often learn to appreciate (or ignore) the suffering along the way with time.

Going back to more tandem specific issues, the bottom line is just be conscious off the stoker's happiness, to echo Sheldon. Ask if we're pedaling too fast (likely you will be). Ask if the gear is too hard. Ask if we're getting tired and need to head back. At least at first, offer to coast more often than you would normally coast on your own. Depending on the bike set up, stoker may really appreciate it when you warn them of a sudden bump or jar coming up. Further, if you live in a place with elevation change, be concious of the trust/freak-out factor when taking a decent. Reassure stoker that you've been down this decent hundreds of times before with no mishaps and that you ARE in fact taking it at a safe speed, slower than you normally do, just for her.

You will be able to feel every shift and squirm of the stoker. Maybe even when they turn their head to the side to look at the cows. If it gets unbearable, politely make them concious of the problem, but it's better to just learn to deal with a majority of it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Thanks Matt

My route of choice for my wife and my sister in law will be flat along the coast. About 8-10 miles one way with an ice cream shop at the turn around point.

My thought is to make it beautiful, tasty/fun and a little short. Hopefully, they'll think at the end. THat was easy, fun and awesome.

I'm putting the final components in place and testing it this afternoon with the boys.

If anyone has any technique (starting) or equipment tips, let me know!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

have you read this?

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Flash
    My route of choice for my wife and my sister in law will be flat along the coast. About 8-10 miles one way with an ice cream shop at the turn around point.

My thought is to make it beautiful, tasty/fun and a little short. Hopefully, they'll think at the end. THat was easy, fun and awesome.

I'm putting the final components in place and testing it this afternoon with the boys.

If anyone has any technique (starting) or equipment tips, let me know!
    read this if you have not already. http.www.gtgtandems.com/tech/propmethod.html then maybe your stoker should read it too .it helped us alot..

N. Hollywood, CA
    Feb 2005

co-mot pride

Please do post a photo of your Co-motion when it's built. I also got a metallic light blue recently, a Nor'Wester. They make really nice frames.

I've heard that a good shock absorbing saddle makes a huge difference for a stoker, although I'm no expert on tandems. Anyway, perhaps a sprung saddle from Brooks?

http://www.wallbike.com/brooks/singl...ngsaddles.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Just took lunch and built it

Mark at Precision Tandems did a great job of putting it together and just leaving me to pull it out of the box and insert posts, mount seats and bars and slap on the pedals (Crank Bros. Candy's).

The bike is sweet and rides very well. Certainly just manuvering it around the office and through doors takes some thinking (don't want to ding it), but outside it rides great. Smooth and shifts perfect.

I thought it would have two rim brakes and a bail out lever for the drum brake. At least I think my dad's bike has that. This bike has a rim brake in front and a disc in the back.

I really appreciate Precision Tandems and Co-Motion (who took my calls to see how the bike was going and delivery (only twice!). Hoping for a high fun factor approval from my favorite stoker to be! I'll get the picture up and then update how the "wife" and In-law rides went. Thanks for the great advice and the links on the supremacy of the Rear Admiral. I'll take it to heart.