Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

cold burn from co2 inflator?

19K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  Oxtox 
#1 ·
Just bought a innovations air chuck sl c02 inflator, decided to test it out at home and inflated my wheel with my index finger against the c02 container. Afterwards I noticed there was a cold patch on my finger and it felt a little thicker to the touch, 7 hours later the patch is still a little tingly and its spread a bit further down my finger. Nothing serious but slightly uncomfortable and a little worrying.

How much damage can you do to yourself with a c02 inflator without a sleeve on the container? Ive been running warm water on my finger for about 10 minutes but it doesnt seem like something serious enough to go to the emergency room for to figure out what it is. Any advice would be great.

thanks.

#8 ·
All CO2's get VERY cold when discharged.
Most have a plastic jacket to decrease the likelihood of skin irritation.
Never touch the bare metal of a discharging CO2.
Use a rag or full finger gloves.
Wait for a few minutes before unscrewing/removing with bare hand.
Been there and done that!

#10 ·
For inflating in the field, you don't need to carry anything extra. Just take a glove off and wrap it around the cartrige. Simple.

#11 ·
bwana said:
It's called the ideal gas law, PV=nRT, same thing happens with air dusters.
Nothing to do with ideal gases. For ideal gases expanding without doing work, P falls as V increases and T remains constant.

The temperature drop for CO2 cartridges is almost entirely latent heat of vaporization of the liquid CO2 in the cartridge.

#12 ·
Fredke said:
Nothing to do with ideal gases. For ideal gases expanding without doing work, P falls as V increases and T remains constant.

The temperature drop for CO2 cartridges is almost entirely latent heat of vaporization of the liquid CO2 in the cartridge.
Wow! That certainly clears that up for me.
Boy do I feel stupid now. I was just using the thing to pump up an occasional flat.
P's and V's and T's.:confused:

#17 ·
Killroy said:
I dont use CO2. Waist of money and packaging and the tire is not always full in some cases.
What do you use on the road then a hand pump? I can't get a full tire with those. I use a doubled CO2, can get a full tire out of that. I agree the packaging waste sucks though.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if the CO2 weakens the tube all, being that it discharges so cold.

#19 ·
Fredke said:

Hmmm, the volume of the cartridge is remaining constant, and the pressure of the gas remaining in the cartridge is dropping, which would result in lower T. Of course, n is also dropping. I have to think about this.

#20 ·
mysweetride said:
What do you use on the road then a hand pump? I can't get a full tire with those. I use a doubled CO2, can get a full tire out of that. I agree the packaging waste sucks though.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if the CO2 weakens the tube all, being that it discharges so cold.
I have never heard of using double CO2?
I doubt that cold CO2 does any harm to butyl tubes.
A 16gm CO2 will certainly inflate a 700x23/25 tire hard enough to finish a ride. Maybe not to 130psi, but certainly rideable and stable.
If you need to have it higher, you can certainly top off with your Mini Pump, but I haven't had to do this except when I screw up with the CO2.
When I get home I usually deflate to remove CO2, and inflate with Floor Pump.

#21 ·
jmlapoint said:
All CO2's get VERY cold when discharged.
Most have a plastic jacket to decrease the likelihood of skin irritation.
Never touch the bare metal of a discharging CO2.
Use a rag or full finger gloves.
Wait for a few minutes before unscrewing/removing with bare hand.
Been there and done that!
Darn, does that mean I have to stop dropping the empties down my brother's shorts to watch him dance?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.