Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

Coldest temperature you've ever rode in

my garmin says my ride started at 16 and got as low as 10. did that for 2.5 hours yesterday. i don't plan to ever break that record. what's yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    You're going to get a lot of colder riders on here I suspect.

In Toronto that would have been a mild winter day.

I used to commute year round which included a long section along Lake Ontario (meaning always windy). My personal record was minus 23 C which equates to minus 9 F.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    24 Fahrenheit or so. I also don't like to ride when it's above 85 or 90. Or in rain. I'm not a hardman at all.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    You're going to get a lot of colder riders on here I suspect.

In Toronto that would have been a mild winter day.

I used to commute year round which included a long section along Lake Ontario (meaning always windy). My personal record was minus 23 C which equates to minus 9 F.
    i've done about 5 Fahrenheit but only as a commute under 3 miles. its a lot harder when its longer. My real issue is ice. It terrifies me.
    Last edited by Trek_5200; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:57 AM.

What the what???
    Just below freezing... once. Otherwise, 40 is my cutoff. I actually like cold, but I sweat like a pig no matter how cold it gets. To make that a relatively comfortable riding experience would take more money and experimenting than I’m willing to put in. I’ll be inside on the rollers now till at least February. Hats off to those year rounders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

RoadBikeReview Member

Coldest temperature you've ever rode in

26deg F.. to the top of My Hamilton. Still snow at the top .. my hands have never been colder on the decent
    PO is a liberal echo chamber.

Fecal indicator
    have ridden in temps ranging from 19F to 112F. will take hot over cold any day...

been caught in some showers, but have never intentionally gone out when it's raining...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    When I was training for cx worlds a bunch of years ago I rode outside almost every day from November until Febuary. The coldest days were around -30C (-22F) without wind. Doing any kind of short efforts weren't really worth it but you could still ride tempo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    i prefer hot over cold as well, but its not cold in itself which i hate so much as wet and lack of sun. i rode the pyrenees at temperatures above freezing when it started to rain with wind, and its the coldest i've ever been.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    my garmin says my ride started at 16 and got as low as 10. did that for 2.5 hours yesterday. i don't plan to ever break that record. what's yours?
    If God had intended us to ride in cold weather he wouldn't have invented Zwift

I am pretty wimpy when it come to cold weather. I rarely road bike when its under 45. I just don't enjoy it. If there was a way to hibernate in the winter I would do it

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    i've had some great rides in temperatures just above freezing. Below that not as much but I still enjoy the fresh air and getting out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    I used to road ride down to 25F, 1 hour rides, 25 year later and my tolerance is 40. Mt. biking I can do down to 20, less wind chill as you're riding slower., less wind in the woods. I've been down to 5F on a mt. bike. It was cold.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    coldest I've ridden is 27F and sunny, on my trainer placed outdoor
    I was doing a hard tempo it was so cool to see the steam vaporizing from my skin and head like a hot geyser! I didn't need to wear any jersey, and right after the trainer session I'd jump into a relaxing hot bath and sip hot chocolate. Hats off to all you hardmen!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post

I am pretty wimpy when it come to cold weather. I rarely road bike when its under 45. I just don't enjoy it. If there was a way to hibernate in the winter I would do it
    If you eat about 5 or 6 extremely large meals a day all you'll feel like doing is napping and that's probably about as close to hibernating as you can get.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Coldest air temperature was 19 but that day had little wind. Coldest wind chill was 8 degrees and it was a 36 mile ride.

I was ready to go yesterday at 13 degrees but it was spitting snow out and just made it too slippery.
    2012 Motobecane Le Champion Team Titanium
    2002 Jamis Eclipse
    2000 Specialized Allez Elite

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    I'm in Minnesota and used to commute year-round (we were a 1 car family for 4 or 5 years). Many times did the 10-mile commute under 0F temps. I recall a few times as low as -20F.

CX state champs race is in late November and sometimes in early December and has often been in temps below 30F. A few years we had snow on the ground, with 1 year in particular a storm was going on with 6 inches+ of fresh snow. Just a couple of years ago it was a cold one and it was probably 10F.

I'm actually not that fond of cold weather riding. Fatbike winter riding has become really popular here, but I'm also an X-C skier and would rather ski than bike if I can. This morning it was -24F, and our high temp is supposed to be -5F. I might get out for a ski this afternoon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Probably a couple of days ago when it was 4 degrees at the start. There is about 3-5 inches of snow and I rode my fatbike. All bike trail and singletrack. The key is to wear layers and lots of wicking stuff. You want to stay dry as once you get damp, you're going to get cold quickly. A ski helmet and goggles help a lot too with blowing snow.

This was lots of fun as the trails were empty, there was light snow falling and the scenery was beautiful.

One caveat: I've found that in extreme cold like this, freehubs and shifting starts getting a bit sticky. It's probably not great for your bike...

tka
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    On a road bike the coldest ride was -5F. Chemical warmers on the tops of the shoes under the shoe covers help keep the toes warm, chemical warmers inside the pogies help the fingers, and a balaclava to keep the face warm. A neck gaiter really helps too, as does an aeroshell for the helmet.

On a fat bike I've been out when it was -15F, but that is completely different than a road bike. The biggest is that you aren't generating as much of your own wind chill on the fat bike, and you usually don't plan on riding as far and as fast on it. It helps to have pogies, but since you typically have flat pedals on the fat bike you can ride with boots instead of shoes with covers.

The coldest I've ever been out for physical activity (and with all respect to my co-workers dragging beer to your ice fishing house when it's -30F doesn't count) was a XC ski race several years back. It was right at the cutoff temp of -25F when the group I start in got the gun, one other group started after us, then they called the race as the temperature was continuing to drop. For those of us already started we pretty much skied the whole course since there really wasn't a good point to get us back. Finished the race and it was just under -30F, and I was soaked thru from sweat since I had overdressed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post

zwift , what a concept. now suddenly someone is charging me to ride on my own bike. no thank you

Proud luddite
    I rode in 20F once, which is pretty hard to do considering that I live in Tucson. In the 23 years I have lived here I think that's the coldest it has ever been. My water bottles turned to slush. Too damn cold for a desert rat like me!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    If you eat about 5 or 6 extremely large meals a day all you'll feel like doing is napping and that's probably about as close to hibernating as you can get.
    That pretty much describes my week. Can't wait for the holiday gluttony to end.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    26deg F.. to the top of My Hamilton. ....
    How are your Hamiltons? I have a few in my wallet.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    A few years ago I rode at around zero F, maybe a few degrees below, on snow pack. Bar Mitts are very nice in weather like that.
    Last edited by Srode; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:24 AM.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tka View Post
    On a fat bike I've been out when it was -15F, but that is completely different than a road bike. The biggest is that you aren't generating as much of your own wind chill on the fat bike, and you usually don't plan on riding as far and as fast on it.
    That's why I commute on a hardtail this time of year. It also does much better on potholed pavement.
    It's Mueller Time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    My cutoff for cycling is 40 deg. Anything colder than that then I should be skiing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast