RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011

Question Colnago Cristallo or Orion Ridley? Help me decide thanks!

Hi all, MTB'er here that is new to road biking and was getting set on getting a new Ridley Orion with Fulcrum 7 wheels and 105 set up. Then I came across this few years old frame Colnago Cristallo. Full 09' Dura Ace all around, Fulcrum Racing 1 wheels and it just looks like a sweet set up. Pictures show it as near new and price is almost $750 more than the new Ridley Orion which would be tailor fitted to me precisely. Though to get a Orion with Dura Ace and Racing 1 wheels it would cost me $500-$700 more over the Colnago Cristallo I'm looking at.

I have heard good things about the riding habits of the Orion, but not too much about the Cristallo, but what I have heard are pretty good.

I don't know the fit of the Colnago yet, but specs look like they will work out pretty close to me. I'm just at a cross roads, I love high end stuff, but don't want to get something too high end and waste money ya know. I am going to be riding around on unkown condition roads sometimes. Maybe the Orion will be a good fit for me with 105's to be a good training bike and I can save up for a new high end frame down the line? As far as looks, I like the Orion, but the Colnago is a beautiful frame with clear carbon weave showing.

I really appreciate your opinions and thoughts!

PS. just wanted to add that the Colnago frame is a genuine Italy made frame in case that makes a difference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Try posting this in the manufacturers forum-Colnago. I'd be interested what they have to say..

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Which one is painted the color you like best? Get that one.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

The Slow One.
    I have 2 Ridley Orions, a '09 and a '10 (both Rival builds), so you can probably guess where I'd vote. Just a rock-solid ride all around.

I've never ridden a Cristallo, so I can't really offer an opinion there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    The Cristallo is naked black with only some small accents of color that represent Italy. I like the Cristallo frame a little better in that it has carbon fiber weave finish and the curved rear stays seem to set it apart. The Orion is a smooth frame though, so its too close to call in the looks department.

The big things in the frame I'm looking for are in this order
    1.Flex
    2.Comfortable
    3.Weight

Also, how durable are those Fulcrum Racing 1 wheels? Like can they take a small pothole hit or a drop off of say a nice paved road to a grated road. I want light wheels, but I don't want them to bend when they just look at a pebble (exaggerating of course )

Is the Dura Ace going to be THAT much better than say 105's or some Sram rivals or apex? Basically is it worth the extra $$ to get Dura Ace stuff and the Racing 1 wheels. I'm not racing for times, just want something that will be reliable for years and not get sloppy. Weight would be slightly secondary.

Right now I can get my hands on a last year Orion for $800 out the door so it leaves me about $2G's in parts to get to the price of this used Colnago Cristallo.

Thanks for the replies so far!
    Last edited by 2wheelBound; 01-13-2011 at 09:00 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    I've been racking my brain for the last hours. I keep thinking how much of a deal the Colnago is, but then again, its a used bike and I would be taking a risk buying used and I don't want to spend that type of coin only to have a crack in the frame they masked up well or something and then it breaks and they say it was my fault. I'm not that experienced in eyeballing frames and I don't really want to be haggling with the dude to take it to the bike shop and I don't have that time to be running around. And all that extra gas I'd spend on a 'maybe' purchase could be pooled towards the Orion.

At this point, I'm sorta leaning for new, getting a Ridley Orion built up with a Sram Red (my possible dream) or Force set (my for sure reality) and some Fulcrum Racing 1 wheels (I read they are strong wheels which is what I'm looking for). At least I will KNOW the frame will be new and good and since I'll get it at a shop, I'll get some support after the sale.

Why does something so simple be so complicated, lol. I guess when you're spending $2 to $3K on a bicycle, making sure it goes towards something worthwhile kinda matters, lol.

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    If the Fulcrum Racing 1s are anything like their twin Campagnolo Eurus they are one of the sturdiest wheelsets you can buy.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Warranty versus no warranty is likely a big issue if the Nag is used or NOS.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.