donny_d
    Apr 2012

Comfortable Entry-Mid range Road Bikes ?

Looking to buy my first Road bike and my main criteria would be for a Comfortable riding bike.
    Planning on joining a local cycling club and riding for "Fitness" : 50-80 km (30-50 mile) rides twice/week.

I have started looking at some bikes:
    1) Canondale Synapase 105 : $$
    2) Canondale Caad 10 105 : $$

3) Cannondale Supersix 105 : $$$
    4) Specialized Roubaix 105 :$$$

These are priced from Low-High.// The Roubaix is by far the most expensive as it is all Carbon and it is very comfortable as I test rode this bike.
    I want to know if anyone has any thoughts on the 2 comparison bikes. First 2 being Aluminum and the other 2 carbon.

I'm looking for comments on "Geometry comfort" as well as frame material comfort.

breathe in,out; repeat
    Jun 2011
    The comfort is going to depend entirely on YOUR geometry. As an example, I tried out a Felt F75 and it fit ME perfectly, with no changes to stem and only a slight change in seat height. The only way to know if it's going to be comfortable is to go ride 'em.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    The Roubaix and Synapse are "plush" bikes and will have frame geometries that are are more comfortable for longer rides. The CAAD and Supersix will be more race geometry bikes. The Synapse comes in carbon as well as aluminum. And the Secteur is the aluminum version of the Roubaix.

Test ride and see which you find comfortable. Why no Treks in the mix? They are in the same price ramge.

I test rode a carbon supersix and a carbon synapse last. The road by the LBS was very rough and the Synapse really cut down on the rough road feel. Test rides are in order. Do you have a budget?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Imo, you can't get more comfortable than a roubaix. But you should add a giant defy to the list to try as well.

JBA
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    I have had my Roubaix for about three weeks and love it! I test road Number 1 on your list both carbon and aluminium. I also tried Flet, Fuji, and many others, the key is to find what fits you the best.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you have a Bianchi dealer around you should also test the Infinito. It comes in many different builds and they have both an al version as well as CF. I started my search much like you and that is where I just ended yesterday after riding the Roub and Infinito several times. I liked the feel of both but decided I wanted the heritage and differences of the Bianchi.

Only problem is I also tested the Campagnolo Chorus group which I had never even heard of and fell in love with it so now my mid range budget is busted with a custom build...

good luck on your search and remember it only matters what you like/think!

donny_d
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for all your feedback. I do like the Roubaix. It is the most expensive of the 4 bikes though. I will follow your recommendations and try the Treks, Felts and Giant.

One other question I had was with respects to the Chainring. Should the chainring factor in to my decision. Some of the bikes I saw were 2 x 10 and others were 3 x 10. Is having the extra gear selections
    an important consideration or is it more of a gimmick ??

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by donny_d View Post
    Thanks for all your feedback. I do like the Roubaix. It is the most expensive of the 4 bikes though. I will follow your recommendations and try the Treks, Felts and Giant.

One other question I had was with respects to the Chainring. Should the chainring factor in to my decision. Some of the bikes I saw were 2 x 10 and others were 3 x 10. Is having the extra gear selections
    an important consideration or is it more of a gimmick ??
    It's a compact (2) versus a triple (3). For most of us a compact is fine for climbing. The triple adds weight and may not be as graceful. OTOH, it helps a little and could leave you in the middle ring much more so actually make you need to shift less.

Test a couple on real hills and see what you prefer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The compact crank with a 12-27 cassette will almost accomplish the same thing but I agree test out both and see how it feels.