Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    After spending five figures in your search???!! My god, I hope that you are talking Lire or Pesos... over $10,000 is a ridiculous amount to spend on saddles.
    50 to 100 saddles (based on $100-200 est. price each) seems a bit much. Depending on yeas riding, that could very 5 or more saddles each year.

Color me skeptical as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    sore butt

that's a bummer. maybe consider a Bummer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfBaibICuyc

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Specialized Romin Evo Pro. For me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chader09 View Post
    50 to 100 saddles (based on $100-200 est. price each) seems a bit much. Depending on yeas riding, that could very 5 or more saddles each year.

Color me skeptical as well.

sorry, sorry. Sheesh. I meant 4 figures. Yes, not >$10k. That would be a lot of saddles!

Chief Road Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by cdhbrad View Post
    Selle Italia Flite Gel works for me. I have done 8+ hour rides and felt fine at the end. Not a current model, but they are on EBay all the time.
    Ditto. I've been using the older models for years and years. I buy them on ebay when I see them. I have them on 3 bikes and have another 3 in inventory. I've found they only last a couple of years and then I wear through the cover.
    Cromulent Wheelmen
    Chief Road Officer
    "Il più vecchio ottengo, il più veloce ero."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I was about to say $10K to find the right bike saddle is insane. I could buy 3 nice carbon bikes with 105/Ultegra for that amount.

I guess I'm lucky and blessed with a cooperative tailbone as long as I'm wearing a padded chamois. Usually the saddle that comes standard on the bikes I purchase is adequate. I did replace the saddle on my Trek 1.1 with a Nashbar FR1 which was a noteable improvement over the stock Bontrager saddle.
    Last edited by HyperCycle; 04-04-2017 at 06:44 AM.
    Fred-li-ness is not a virtue, it's a way of life.

Embark on Fredly endeavors.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Since I'm hoping to ride RABRAI this July, I recently went looking for a more comfortable saddle. The general consensus was that the most comfortable saddle for long rides was likely to be leather and after considerable research, I settled on a Selle Anatomica X. This model generates overwhelmingly positive reviews and after putting about 100 miles on mine, I can see why.

The company says no break-in is needed and I'd have to largely agree: Whlle the Anatomica X was reasonably comfortable right out of the box, after some minor tweaking the comfort level got to extraordinary. As far as cons, the only major negative is its weight which is in the 400 - 500 gram range. There were some reports of frame distortion (the rails are longer than found on most saddles), but that appears to have been successfully addressed in the newer X models. Another small con is that the leather is not waterproof, so care has to be taken in wet conditions.

The list price is reasonable for a quality leather saddle but I purchased a "B stock" model that had a cosmetic blemish for roughly 50% of list. The blemish is all but unnoticeable - the leather is trimmed incorrectly at the nose of the saddle - and does not affect performance (or warranty).

It's the most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden however, my derriere is unique to me, and your experience may be different. Selle Anatomica (which by the way is an American company making their saddles in the US) has a 30 day return policy, so it's a low-risk proposition if you want to try one. Not in any way affiliated with the company but as you can see, am a very satisfied customer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippedcam View Post
    I'm ridding a Fizik Antares R5.
    As posted already, try the VS version with a channel in the middle.
    I use Aliante most of the time, for longer rides an Aliante VS.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieRN View Post
    Since I'm hoping to ride RABRAI this July, I recently went looking for a more comfortable saddle. The general consensus was that the most comfortable saddle for long rides was likely to be leather and after considerable research, I settled on a Selle Anatomica X. This model generates overwhelmingly positive reviews and after putting about 100 miles on mine, I can see why.

The company says no break-in is needed and I'd have to largely agree: Whlle the Anatomica X was reasonably comfortable right out of the box, after some minor tweaking the comfort level got to extraordinary. As far as cons, the only major negative is its weight which is in the 400 - 500 gram range. There were some reports of frame distortion (the rails are longer than found on most saddles), but that appears to have been successfully addressed in the newer X models. Another small con is that the leather is not waterproof, so care has to be taken in wet conditions.

The list price is reasonable for a quality leather saddle but I purchased a "B stock" model that had a cosmetic blemish for roughly 50% of list. The blemish is all but unnoticeable - the leather is trimmed incorrectly at the nose of the saddle - and does not affect performance (or warranty).

It's the most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden however, my derriere is unique to me, and your experience may be different. Selle Anatomica (which by the way is an American company making their saddles in the US) has a 30 day return policy, so it's a low-risk proposition if you want to try one. Not in any way affiliated with the company but as you can see, am a very satisfied customer.
    Sounds promising. I think I will look into this one. Thanks!

Edit: Looking at reviews, bent rails are the only legitimate complaint on a few. Never heard of this happening.
    Last edited by Lombard; 04-05-2017 at 08:34 AM.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Sounds promising. I think I will look into this one. Thanks!

Edit: Looking at reviews, bent rails are the only legitimate complaint on a few. Never heard of this happening.
    As being a "bigger rider" I can easily confirm the "bent rail" issue for the Selle Anatomica. It occurred during normal riding... not an accident or anything else but just regular riding.

After that saddle, I purchased a Brooks B17 Imperial and I was sincerely satisfied to be in the saddle for more than 7+ hours. With the B17... I have put over 8k+ miles on it.

On my next bike, I am sticking with Brooks and going with their Cambium C17 Carved line... I can give an update once I get a 1000 miles on that saddle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Picking a saddle for someone else is about as successful as trying to pick a pair of shoes for them. As in Not Very.

My personal favorite is the Selle SMP Pro. Kind of expensive but worth it for me.

Will the OP like it? Maybe or maybe not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    perceived value.

I have 20 dollar ebay takeoffs that are as good or better than some 200 dollar plus saddles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    My very expensive journey to try and find a saddle that didn't leave me sore after 2 hours of riding taught me one thing: It was my butt that was the problem, not the seat. After getting in better shape, the stock saddle I started with seemed just fine I bought multiple saddles, typically on eBay, and was never happy with any of them and usually took a loss when trying to sell them again.

Also, if you're like me and you typically sit even when climbing, be sure to stand on occasion to get the blood flowing on your posterior on occasion.

I always wondered how the pros ride with saddles that often have little or no padding... apparently it's because they're butts are so rock-hard that it doesn't matter if their saddle is padded or not!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    My very expensive journey to try and find a saddle that didn't leave me sore after 2 hours of riding taught me one thing: It was my butt that was the problem, not the seat. After getting in better shape, the stock saddle I started with seemed just fine I bought multiple saddles, typically on eBay, and was never happy with any of them and usually took a loss when trying to sell them again.

Also, if you're like me and you typically sit even when climbing, be sure to stand on occasion to get the blood flowing on your posterior on occasion.

I always wondered how the pros ride with saddles that often have little or no padding... apparently it's because they're butts are so rock-hard that it doesn't matter if their saddle is padded or not!
    Hmmm. So maybe this is what I need:

Official Site of Original Buns Of Steel DVD - Greg Smithey - Fitness Video - Best Workout Videos - Butt Exercises
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Weight weenies won't buy. They should do one for "Buns of Aluminum" and a few years later "Buns of Carbon" for double dipping.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Almost all cyclists I've met have had a problem choosing a seat. I had a chronic saddle sore that lasted 3 years. During that time I tried all kinds of seats. I prefer curved/banana type seats. Finally I gave up & said, "I don't care how much it weighs, I'm getting a Brooks. I used them when I 1st started riding in the early 60s, then I got caught up in the weight weenie syndrome. I got a B17, their most popular model & rode across the U.S. with it. No, I'm not a tourist, but it was a supported trip & I got to go free. My chronic saddle sore actually healed itself on that 3900 mile trip.

Two important warnings:
    1. Brooks seats are pretty darn uncomfortable when you 1st ride them. They break in like a baseball glove or a new pair of shoes. They actually mold themselves to your bottom. Be patient & you'll see they're like sitting in a hammock after awhile.
    2. Shop around a lot. I've seen Brooks B17 for as much as $150+ & as low as $70 for exactly the same seat.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've been lucky in that I have tried both the Fizik Kure snake and the Arione saddles with great results. Some have found the Arione to be an a**hatchet but it's been my go to. It's also been great that I tried these two relatively quickly in my search. I tried a Specialized saddle that was horrible. Sounds like your close. I have found that less padding is actually better for me and have heard that from others. Saddles are very personal and not an item you can expect the same results as another rider. Look into loaner saddles, might be a good way to go with very little monetary outlay.

Banned forever.....or not
    Comfort is in the eye of the beholder.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    Comfort is in the eye of the beholder.
    Comfort is in the a$$ of the beholder. Fixed it for you.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile View Post
    Brooks seats are pretty darn uncomfortable when you 1st ride them. They break in like a baseball glove or a new pair of shoes. They actually mold themselves to your bottom. Be patient & you'll see they're like sitting in a hammock after awhile.
    disagree. i find brooks leather saddles more comfortable new than a year old. (a "hammock" like saddle sounds really uncomfortable.) maybe i'm in the minority. though i still have two on bikes, i no longer buy them and now prefer gyes saddles for their greater thickness, laced skirts, and lower price.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Weight weenies won't buy. They should do one for "Buns of Aluminum" and a few years later "Buns of Carbon" for double dipping.
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Comfort is in the a$$ of the beholder. Fixed it for you.
    Are you butter? Maybe not, but you're definitely on a roll today.

-- Warren Buffett

Devoid of all flim-flam
    An enjoyable thread. A pitched battle between those who know for certain and those who know for certain that nobody knows. My current saddles are a 20 year old Fizik Vitesse and a Specialized Jett. Both are the most comfortable I have found but, of course, they'll never actually be comfortable.

Because I'm extremely gullible, I've followed expert advice and purchased several Brooks saddles over the years. B17's and other model's whose names I can't remember. I've bought them new and dutifully just rode them until they broke in. I've slathered them with various elixirs. I've bought a couple at swap meets that were, how shall I say, more than thoroughly broken in. Back in the 1970's I even had an Ideale, the French Brooks. Every single one started off as a torture rack and never got much better. Sore sit bones. Redness. Irritation. Numbness in the proverbial private parts. They sure were pretty, though (and I'm not talking about my private parts).
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Because I'm extremely gullible, I've ... purchased several Brooks saddles ... Every single one started off as a torture rack and never got much better.
    that's really sad you continued riding a saddle that always felt like "a torture rack."
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

jta
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Maybe try the new Antares VS?

The new VS line is catching on quite a bit in the pros. They're in the saddle for ages.
    Looks like Fizik has released a full cut-out saddle for women called the Luce (as opposed to the center channel in the VS and VSX models for men). I know they've been resistant to offering a full cut-out, but wondering if they'll finally give in and offer a men's saddle with a full cut-out as well. I like both the Antares and Antares VS, but I think a cut out would be an improvement. For now, I favor Specialized Romins slightly over Antares.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Can someone explain to me why does the nose of almost all these saddles need to be so looong? I mean nobody can possibly sits on the front 1/2 section of the nose without bruising their nuts. Why don't they make saddles shorter then? A shorter saddle will not only save you some weight, but its shorter nose won't also snag on your bib when you get back on it after being out of the saddle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast