Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017

Comfortable road saddles?

I'm ridding a Fizik Antares R5. I love the way it performes It is firm and I feel like it fits me well with the width 144mm. I'm just noticing that after 2.5-3hrs in saddle the under carriage is a little sore. So riding the next day I'm wiggling a bit more to get comfortable. Anybody have a good performance saddle they like for longer rides that's not too squishy and don't slide around on?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I know exactly what you mean and I went thru the same quest for the perfect saddle after spending 5 figures in my search.

Give me a few minutes (Gotta go help a friend) and I'll let you know what is the ultimate saddle.

BRB.

Forever a Student
    Maybe try the new Antares VS?

The new VS line is catching on quite a bit in the pros. They're in the saddle for ages.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippedcam View Post
    Anybody have a good performance saddle they like for longer rides that's not too squishy and don't slide around on?
    Selle SMP Dynamic. Buying saddle is like buying shoes, you gotta try em on, unfortunately.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use the Cobb Randee on both my bikes, works great for long rides for me. But works for me doesn't mean it will work for you too. The ones I have are plenty firm, the new version may be softer - which I personally would not like but again everyone has their preference. Selle Italia has lots of options - I like their SuperFlow SLR for rides under 100 miles.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Meld. It's custom and about $350. They send you a crush box you sit on. You mail it back and in a few weeks you'll get your custom saddle. I LOVE mine. Very comfortable and very light. Like many, I had spent 5 figures as well trying to find the right saddle over the years.
    Meld3d.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Selle Italia Flite Gel works for me. I have done 8+ hour rides and felt fine at the end. Not a current model, but they are on EBay all the time.

banned
    Sep 2016
    Brooks makes DOZENS that fit that bill....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Brooks makes DOZENS that fit that bill....
    Are you familiar with Brooks saddles first hand? I'm thinking about going this way as the saddle that had worked for me for years (Serfas Rx Men's), is now giving me saddle rash. I've tried different shorts, tried changing tilt, but still have the problem. I'm wondering if a harder saddle would be better for this problem.

The problem with Brooks is that as you say, they make dozens of types of saddles. Which to choose from? Experimenting with these will be expensive.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    I have a lot of experience with brooks going back to the mid 80's when I started riding ultra marathons. At that time I used the Pro. Very comfortable for me.

I have also used the B17 without any issues. I don't really have a preference. I would hesitate to call them "performance saddles" based on their weight

Last year I put a swallow on my new Lynskey. I bought it at a swap meet for half price new in box. Obviously it did not work for someone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by otoman View Post
    Meld. It's custom and about $350. They send you a crush box you sit on. You mail it back and in a few weeks you'll get your custom saddle. I LOVE mine. Very comfortable and very light. Like many, I had spent 5 figures as well trying to find the right saddle over the years.
    Meld3d.com
    How interesting! After I posted this back in 2013, I was hoping that someone would start such business.

I wish I heard about this 3 weeks ago before I spent $120 on Specialized Power saddle for my second bike. It works decently but I feel that it could be better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    I have also used the B17 without any issues. I don't really have a preference. I would hesitate to call them "performance saddles" based on their weight
    I really don't care about weight within reason (no spring version for me). I just want a saddle that's comfortable on longer rides of 60-70 miles.

The B17 Imperial has a cutout which my current saddle has. In theory, this is supposed to keep my package from going numb.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    there is no such thing as a universally perfect saddle. its not about padding either. it's about buying a saddle that fits your own individual sit-bone. no two people will find the same saddle comfortable, you just have to try them out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I find the brooks saddles great for mtb where you're in and out of the saddle a lot. They are a one-position saddle and do not work for me on the road.

The fizik arione is my preference as it offers different but workable pressure points by simply sliding for or aft.

You could do that on a brooks but would suffer serious discomfort.

As someone already pointed out, everybody has a different ass, so, what will work for you is anybody's guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Are you familiar with Brooks saddles first hand? I'm thinking about going this way as the saddle that had worked for me for years (Serfas Rx Men's), is now giving me saddle rash. I've tried different shorts, tried changing tilt, but still have the problem. I'm wondering if a harder saddle would be better for this problem.

The problem with Brooks is that as you say, they make dozens of types of saddles. Which to choose from? Experimenting with these will be expensive.

jpz
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    The problem with asking opinions on saddles is one persons comfort saddle is somebody else's torture device.Fizik on their web page give a nice description of the shapes of saddles: bull, chameleon & snake and this can help point you toward the right shape based on your riding style(in any companies saddle) & then figuring out your width.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    when i got my c-59 the original saddle didn't work for me. r&a cycles noticed the saddle was curved from the center so on the next go-around we opted for something flatter. for me it worked. i bring this up not so you should get the same saddle i got but a suggestion that if a saddle isn't working analyze the saddle so you can opt for something that has a different shape. in this way at least you're not repeating the same mistake.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    no two people will find the same saddle comfortable.
    ?????
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

HERKWO
    Selle Italia Superflow has worked for me.
    Selle Italia SLR Superflow 145 Saddle - Saddles - Ribble Cycles
    HERKWO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    it's not how it works it's how it looks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    there is no such thing as a universally perfect saddle. its not about padding either. it's about buying a saddle that fits your own individual sit-bone. no two people will find the same saddle comfortable, you just have to try them out.
    And that's the truth. When I try a saddle that "looks" comfortable, it's terrible.

The saddle I ride most is a Specialized Toupe which is the last saddle I'd chose just by looking. But it works for me!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Selle SMP Dynamic. Buying saddle is like buying shoes, you gotta try em on, unfortunately.
    I've heard more than one positive review of the SMP 209 Lite, haven't looked at the Dynamic. Thanks

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    I know exactly what you mean and I went thru the same quest for the perfect saddle after spending 5 figures in my search.

Give me a few minutes (Gotta go help a friend) and I'll let you know what is the ultimate saddle.

BRB.
    After spending five figures in your search???!! My god, I hope that you are talking Lire or Pesos... over $10,000 is a ridiculous amount to spend on saddles.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    Bradkay / although Iam laughing at your response, I do want to hear what factory feel has gleaned from their research. That seems like a lot of saddles?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    it's not how it works it's how it looks.
    It's not how it feels? Name:  kos.gif
Views: 1158
Size:  9.7 KB

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    I'm a former randonneur (long distance) cyclist & many randonneurs use various Brooks. I started randonneuring with a Fizik Aliante but switched to a Brooks Swift. Still use both but much prefer the Swift. Tried a Brooks B-17 but it didn't work for me. I do use the B-17 Imperial (has a cut-out) on my tandem. Neither Swift or Aliante worked on the tandem. What works for me may or may not work for others. Brooks also can take a few hundred miles for the leather to conform to your butt. Bottom line (pun intended) if you don't mind the extra weight, a saddle that many randonneurs use might be something to try.
    Last edited by Bikephelps; 04-06-2017 at 05:51 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast