Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Convince me to go on my 1st group ride tonight

Every Friday night my LBS hosts a ride on a quiet 11 mile road in each direction. I've never ridden with anyone and my longest ride to date is 21 miles. I've been averaging 15 mph on my daily loop of 20 miles. I'm pretty nervous about etiquette and keeping up. They say it's a no drop ride. I have no idea how many people are going.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Don't go...

J/K. Odds are you could get dropped but in no drop rides a leader will stay back with the people in the back, typically called a sweeper. They also have re-group points. It happens to everyone, don't let it discourage you. You'll get faster as you ride more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    If it's advertised as no-drop and averages 15 mph, then you should have no problem keeping up. Let the riders and ride leader know you are new and what the general rules and hand signals are and have fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    By all means - GO!

EVERYONE on that ride had a first time on that ride. If it truly is a "no-drop" ride, then a good group will welcome, educate and assimilate you into the collective.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by milkbaby View Post
    If it's advertised as no-drop and averages 15 mph, then you should have no problem keeping up. Let the riders and ride leader know you are new and what the general rules and hand signals are and have fun!
    I could be wrong, but I don't think he said the ride averages 15 mph but instead that he averages 15 mph over 21 miles. Sorry, I'm grumpy today...

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by agrats84 View Post
    I'm pretty nervous about etiquette and keeping up. They say it's a no drop ride. I have no idea how many people are going.
    Ask what the pace of the ride is. If its a 15mph pace you should have no problem.

Fecal indicator
    do it. most group rides are fun...and even the ones that aren't usually teach you something.

just watch your line and don't be a squirrel.
    eff all y'all...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Should definitely go. Riding with a group will improve your abilities (miles just fly by) and you'll never look at riding the same way again. It's sounds like this group is a great way to go for your first group ride. You shouldn't have any problems.

One of the great things about cycling is that it can be a very social sport, and group rides take advantage of that.

You won't regret it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Definitely do the group ride.

The more I do group rides, the more I appreciate riding by myself.

And the sad part is, I'm not kidding.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes go! And don't be intimidated by all the high-end gear and shiny carbon. Everyone has a credit card. Have fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Do it! Group rides are fun, and yours sounds like a good one to start with. Learning to ride in a group and a pace line are good skills, and you don't have to do all the work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    ..............The more I do group rides, the more I appreciate riding by myself.
    The sad part is " the more I appreciate riding by myself".

That said, I've found that there are many, many riders who ride alone, period. So if that's what floats your boat, then it's certainly fine by me.

I'm much more like my buddy who commented during our group ride last Saturday afternoon, "what could be better than a good long ride with your friends".

I treasure my riding buddies. We ride in the wind almost every ride so we value the teamwork. In fact, if I need to ride and no one else can go, I'm getting on the Computrainer with ErgVideo and riding with my virtual friends.

Back to the thread:
    Go on the group ride. Watch what other people do, good and bad. Try to determine what the group ride prototcols are. Try to remember names. Enjoy!

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MerlinAma View Post
    The sad part is " the more I appreciate riding by myself".
    The even sadder part of this is that riding alone often is a reluctant choice. A few years ago, I decided to never to ride with a group again after witnessing yet another one of those completely uncalled-for cyclist-motorist confrontation. But that doesn't mean I'm happy about that decision. Still today, I miss all the wonderful experiences I had as a part of a group.

/w
    Last edited by wim; 04-06-2012 at 01:51 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    Definitely do the group ride.

The more I do group rides, the more I appreciate riding by myself.

Hi Alan, I sure can relate; however, that last couple of group rides I have done have been excellent. I guess it is mostly getting with the right group.

Later, Axlenut

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm on my way to ride. Thanks for the words of wisdom. I'll post when I get back.

Rob
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm glad you're doing it because then you can tell me what it was like. I've never been on a group ride either except charity rides and a few rides with friends. These were low-key with no ride leader or pacelines or real riding techniques involved. So I need to do it too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    The group ride you are describing sounds great. Go and you will learn more. You can ride further and faster in a group. You should see lots of interaction, talking and laughing in the group. The ride should go something like as described in this video by Alex Steida. I love to ride moderate no drop group rides....

With people like Peter P. around, I am done posting on this website. Mean people have driven me off after 9 plus years. Good luck newbies beware.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Glad agrats84 went for it. This will open a new dimention of cycling to you. It can make you a faster cyclists and will allow you to learn from the more experienced in the group. Depending on the group, many group rides have different pace levels so there is a level for everyone. Some faster groups will form a "paceline" so that the group stays out of the wind while each rider takes a short pull at the front when their rotation comes up. The main important thing in any group ride is to be predictable. No hard braking and no line changes unless you know you will not effect another rider to the side or back. I look forward to your first ride report.
    “Life may not be about your bike, but it sure can help you get through it.”

"Yes, you can call me a slightly opinionated retro grouch."

My only fear in facing death, is that there may not be a bike for me to ride on the other side.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just got home. Very glad I did it. There were about 20 of us, both men and women from early 20s to early 50s. Very casual experience. Started out in a large group just BSing with each other about 3 wide. As we picked up the pace I was riding in a group of six, but still 2 wide. As we moved quicker, we would get into single file and then go two wide to talk go up the hills. On the way back we really picked up the pace and 3 of us stuck together pretty much for the whole way back to the cars. We averaged 16.57mph and it was an 18 mile ride. It was reallllly casual and I'm glad I did it to meet other riders. When we were done, I was talking to some of them and they said this was a very unusual ride because there wasn't any pace line or real formality because there were so many new people. They said as the season goes on, they pick it up and it gets a bit more challenging. I definitely noticed that I rode faster, and it wasn't because I was drafting or anything. PS- I still need to learn a lot of these terms.

Overall, a great experience that I plan to keep doing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    There you have it sir.

Group riding will improve your fitness, riding skills and your interest in riding.

Have fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudhone View Post
    I wonder, is your grandson's mom while in the picture? Perhaps she might begin to see the importance of serving the woman's kid managing and doing away with their stress and anxiety, due to the fact the papa appears relatively unwilling 2saverelationshipbroken qapacity com/my-blog/378200/why-it-is-important-to-help-save-a-broken-connection-/]buy ambien discount What's Anxiousness? People normally practical knowledge an over-all condition with worry or maybe worry in advance of confronting some thing complicated say for example a test out, test, recital, or even employment interview
    That's an excellent point, I'm glad you brought this up. I was nervous about going on my first group ride because of my grandson's mom coming back in the picture recently, so I bought some discount ambien from a shady online dealer and now I'm regularly winning local crits and thinking about a professional career.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    Good for you. The main reason I like group riding is that it gets my butt out the door on days when it's too cold, raining, I'm tired, just want to be lazy, etc. I know if I don't go I'll get a few WTF??? texts or some crap the next time I show up. Sometimes a little peer pressure is a good thing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Read THE RULES (focus on #5) and most importantly have fun, everyone has to start somewhere!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    I've been thinking of trying a group ride that meets on Tuesdays by me, I ride primarily by myself and sometimes with one friend. I figure it might be good to meet a few people and their loop is right up on my home turf anyways so if its terrible I can always peel off and finish by myself without much fuss. I'll see how it goes, I generally don't care to ride with people I don't know because I don't trust them to refrain from doing something silly that will get me hurt or vice versa.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    just watch your line and don't be a squirrel.
    OK I know I am a Noob, but what do you mean don't be a squirrel?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast