RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009

Custom Reynolds 853 builder in US?

Anyone know of a custom United States based bicycle frame builder that uses Reynolds 853 steel?

I found rourke in the U.K., but that's about it

RoadBikeReview Member
    The only one I know of is Gunnar:

Bikes
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    spectrum i believe, however a reputable bike builder will not simply say what kind of steel do you want, but look at your objectives, weight etc and decide on what steel is appropriate.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    spectrum i believe, however a reputable bike builder will not simply say what kind of steel do you want, but look at your objectives, weight etc and decide on what steel is appropriate.
    There are plenty of builders out there that will build with whatever tubing you want, as long as it doesn't conflict with the application. I suggest Kevin settle on a number of builders first, then ask if they would be willing to use 853 for the build-most builders don't specifically advertise using a specific brand/make of tubing because as you said, they usually decide on which tube is appropriate for which location on the frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Great. Thanks all

RoadBikeReview Member
    Carl Strong, but most good builders don't lock them selves into one tubing set before they know what the rider's needs are. Strong Frames | Bicycle tubing information. Steel, Titanium, Aluminum and Carbon Fiber

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Scott Quiring is a small shop, but I've heard great things about him. You might be interested in sending him an email
    https://www.quiringcycles.net/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    Carl Strong, but most good builders don't lock them selves into one tubing set before they know what the rider's needs are. Strong Frames | Bicycle tubing information. Steel, Titanium, Aluminum and Carbon Fiber

This is interesting. I didn't know Reynolds has a 953 steel. This is a stainless steel as well.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    This is interesting. I didn't know Reynolds has a 953 steel. This is a stainless steel as well.
    953 is very hard to work with...So much so Reynolds consults with builders on fabrication techniques on how to work with it who they supply it to. Very easy stuff to screw up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    yes, Carl has welded a few over the years and they look superb. Like I said I think it's best to leave the choosing of tubesets to the people making the frames. Us consumers know diddly squat about the application of tubing.
    Another little factoid by fellow Boseman torch and mate of Carl:
    Onesto. | Kirk Frameworks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    yes, Carl has welded a few over the years and they look superb. Like I said I think it's best to leave the choosing of tubesets to the people making the frames. Us consumers know diddly squat about the application of tubing.
    Another little factoid by fellow Boseman torch and mate of Carl:
    Onesto. | Kirk Frameworks
    Very good point, Kiwi. You can buy a work of art, or you can buy a bike that is actually a pleasure to ride.

Though I have to say that at $4,200 for a frameset, one may as well buy a Ti bike.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    953 is very hard to work with...So much so Reynolds consults with builders on fabrication techniques on how to work with it who they supply it to. Very easy stuff to screw up.
    I read that Columbus XCr is an easier stainless steel to work with, and it's becoming a popular stainless steel material of choice for top builders