RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008

Cycleops Fluid2 Grooves/Scratches

Hey guys,

About a month ago I was having issues with a noisy CycleOps Fluid 2 trainer (abnormal). The bike shop, rather than waiting for the CycleOps replacement resistance unit, gave me a different trainer. They told me it was "new", only been used once/week in the shop for the last six weeks. It looked really worn out on the silver cylinder that contacts the wheel. My 2+ year old trainer looked almost new by comparison, but I trusted them.

Fast forward about 4 weeks later and I'm starting to wonder. I had put on a new tyre at the same time (Michelin Pro3 Race, same as before). In one month it's worn the tyre more than my old one did in over a year of riding. When looking closer at the unit, where the tyre touches there are tons of tiny grooves and scratches. The surface is very rough, which would definitely contribute to the tyre-eating.

Is this normal?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002

short answer...

NO...my unit is ~7 yrs old and looks almost new despite tons of use...no grooves or wear on the cylinder at all. You should talk with the shop or, better yet, contact CycleOps. They are customer service oriented and warranty everything for life. Explain your concern and see what they say. I'd expect some quick resolution with a replacement for perhaps a nominal charge. Good luck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    doesn't sound normal to me... but there is no way i would use a new tire on the trainer, always eats tiers up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nealrab
    NO...my unit is ~7 yrs old and looks almost new despite tons of use...no grooves or wear on the cylinder at all. You should talk with the shop or, better yet, contact CycleOps. They are customer service oriented and warranty everything for life. Explain your concern and see what they say. I'd expect some quick resolution with a replacement for perhaps a nominal charge. Good luck.
    What does your cylinder look like? Just like the finish has rubbed off? Is it still smooth?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallH1987
    doesn't sound normal to me... but there is no way i would use a new tire on the trainer, always eats tiers up.
    I wish I could ride with a different tire on the trainer, but I have a PowerTap wheelset I use 99% of the time. It would be a pain to be constantly swapping the tire.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    Here's a photo of part of the cylinder:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cycleops Fluid2 Grooves/Scratches-photo1.jpg  

acg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    I have a Cyclops 2. This does not look normal to me. It looks very used.
    Merlin Extralight Campy
    Airborne Lancaster XTR
    Planet X Uncle John Campy

RoadBikeReview Member
    That trainer is thrashed and trashed!
    :It tastes like burning.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Brad: Definitely not!

It should not be grooved like that. Bring it back to the LBS, as something had to groove it out!?!

Very strange as that cylinder is a very hard surface. Mine is two years old, and has no grooves what so ever. It picks up a tiny amount of worn rubber, that I just wipe clean occasionally. But the surface is very smooth and unmarked.

Also, do yourself a favor and use a dedicated wheel and tire . I bought a cheap mavic, and hutchison tire, so I don't ride my good wheels (Zipp, Easton), on the trainer, as the trainer has more friction/resistance than the road and will chew up a good soft tire!

Joseph

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    My cylinder looks exactly like the photo. Although my trainer is 3 or so year old, it probably has less than 50 hours use.

I use regular tires on the trainer, with one caveat: I put on an old, very cheap tire that I had hanging in the garage. I don't care if it gets worn and don't really pay attention to that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Mine looks like the one in the photos, too. I use regular tires.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mine looks worse (same model: fluid) after one year of use !

Bought it from the LBS on their recommendation......guess again. My roller had deep grooves where tire contacts trainer....needs a new roller at least ? Maybe ?
    Phil
    "Caniving Old Fart With Absolutely No Talent"
    "Mind Like Parachute, Works Best When Open"