Super Moderator
    Mar 2013

Cycling = One aspect of life or the only thing that matters?

Would you rather ---> A) let your bikes collect dust in winter and do other sports --- or ----> B) do whatever it takes to get your spin in?

One answer here --> Freewheeling: There’s More To Life Than Cycling | Road Bike News, Reviews, and Photos

Beast Mode Never Engaged
    Mar 2013
    All my hobbies kind of end around the same time. I put my motorcycles, bikes, and toys away around November and it all comes back out around March/April. Bikes are easy because the maintenance they need can be done while there's still snow on the ground so my mtb came out before anything else this year. In the winter I go to the gym a lot more, sometimes two a days. Now that I have a road bike I'm thinking I'll probably get a trainer for next winter and do that before work and the gym after.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    I ride when it gets colder but definitely have temperature limits. When it's below about 40 F, I don't ride. No snow on the roads, either.

I've got other stuff competing for my time, too. Golf, a boat, not to mention house stuff, family with 2 young kids, and WORK.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Re: Cycling = One aspect of life or the only thing that matters?

Well it is never everything. I have a job, two girls, a wife and a dog.

In the winter I love to ski. I would rather do that than anything.

But I still spin or hit the trainer. I am thinking of getting a skiers edge machine to use in my basement during the summer like i use my bike trainer in the winter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I still get in 7-8 hours of riding in the winter ... during the weekends.

I don't mind riding in rain, cold or both at the same time ... however, during the winter I don't like to ride in the dark since I already don't trust drivers when it's light out. So, it's the trainer for me in the winter.

I'd rather get in a spin ... outside or on the trainer than do anything else.

If I life weights in the winter I'll put on way too much muscle that will take too long to get off come race season. I don't have a desire to play other sports and I hate to run, which I blame on other sports I played when I was younger. I don't like snow sports much since every time I've gone skiing I've torn my knees up.
    Bikes:
    • 2013 Scott Foil 40
    • 2013 Jamis Nova Race (winter training bike)
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    There ain't no winter where I stay. It is summer all year. Ha.

RoadBikeReview Member
    We ride year 'round here (though cold / damp in winter). I also enjoy hiking, which seems to use a different set of muscles when climbing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    I took up cycling two years ago and decided to cycle thru this past winter. I'm glad I did. I much prefer being out on the bike to being at the gym as long as the weather cooperates.

I used to ski a lot more in the winter, but the snow's been crappy around here the past couple of years, and VT is a long drive for me. It's a lot easier (and cheaper) to get out on the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't like the cold. I tend to ride about 7-8 hours per week on the trainer and rollers during the cold months.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I jog outside in the winter (no matter the weather). My bike goes into hibernation in my den.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

fu
    I spin, do the elliptical and lift weights at a local gym throughout the winter months. I also ski but not as much as I would like to.
    My other chainring is a 39...
    Strava profile

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    This year after cyclocross was over (end of November) I parked my bikes and didn't touch them until just the last few weeks. I like having the break to do other things in the winter like X-C skiing and hockey mostly. I'm usually pretty cooked from cycling and racing and appreciate getting back some total body fitness that I'm not getting by just riding a bike.

I've never been a gym/weights person, and riding on a trainer/rollers does nothing for me either. I will do some winter riding if the conditions are OK, but it's just not that fun to ride in the cold. I'd rather ski if the snow is good. Fortunately, I live in a place where there is lots of great X-C skiing and hockey to be had (Minnesota).

Bike Wing Conspiracy

Biking pretty much defines me.

I commute year round, used to be a messenger, try to get riding in around work/kids/dog/house/rental/wife.

I consider every distance as to whether it can be ridden on a bike and how long it would take me.

Every one of my friends and family know that I am a rider.

I wouldnt have it any other way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The past two winters I rode right through them. I also do other winter sports like snowboarding and cross-country skiing. When I only had one bike, I used to put it away with the first salting of the roads. Now that I have a beater bike, I don't mind abusing it some though I always wash it after every dirty ride.

I really don't mind the winter riding. I love being outside even if it is cold. My limit is 25 degrees though. I don't have a trainer and don't intend on getting one. I would find it too mindnumbing.
    2012 Motobecane Le Champion Team Titanium
    2002 Jamis Eclipse
    2000 Specialized Allez Elite

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB176 View Post
    I don't have a trainer and don't intend on getting one. I would find it too mindnumbing.
    I admit the base rides get boring. Intervals usually hurt enough that it's difficult to get bored. I can't complain too much since I'm in a lot better shape this year compared to last year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you View Post
    I admit the base rides get boring. Intervals usually hurt enough that it's difficult to get bored. I can't complain too much since I'm in a lot better shape this year compared to last year.
    The difference of riding through the winter is huge for sure. It wasn't quite from scratch for me in Springs past when I didn't but it took a long time to get back into form. I find the body does develop a tolerance for cold. I also genuinely enjoy taking in the winter scenery on my routes. I feel like I live and breathe the seasons this way.
    2012 Motobecane Le Champion Team Titanium
    2002 Jamis Eclipse
    2000 Specialized Allez Elite

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Re: Cycling = One aspect of life or the only thing that matters?

The difference of riding through the winter is huge for sure. It wasn't quite from scratch for me in Springs past when I didn't but it took a long time to get back into form. I find the body does develop a tolerance for cold. I also genuinely enjoy taking in the winter scenery on my routes. I feel like I live and breathe the seasons this way.
    I did it but would prefer to be skiing. Still set an early season goal and stuck to it. It helped maintain a far better level of fitness than when I did not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I suppose I could adapt to a certain extent to the cold. She shortened daylight and my work schedule tend to work against that. Family life, brewing lots of beer, and the occasional band practice mean I have to take it or leave it with regards to riding indoors.

Most racers are capable of riding in the cold and/or lots of hours of indoor training. I seem to have a good amount of early season races that I need to be ready for.

One benefit I noticed after getting a trainer and rollers was that my hind end didn't need to be broken in at the start of the season like previous years.