Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015

Cycling after having a vasectomy, how long to wait?

Hello Road Bike Review, this is my first post on the forum! I'm a road and mountain biker in his 30's.

I had a vasectomy last week and I'm reading anywhere from 4-10 days online before strenuous activity. I'm thinking cycling might be more rough on the area (the bouncing) than something like weight lifting would be.

How long did you guys take off? I had the no scalpel style of the procedure if it matters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I took no pain meds for op, drove myself to and from, went to work next day and rode my bike day after.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisthebeave View Post
    Hello Road Bike Review, this is my first post on the forum! I'm a road and mountain biker in his 30's.

I had a vasectomy last week and I'm reading anywhere from 4-10 days online before strenuous activity. I'm thinking cycling might be more rough on the area (the bouncing) than something like weight lifting would be.

How long did you guys take off? I had the no scalpel style of the procedure if it matters.
    What did your doctor advised you?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland44 View Post
    What did your doctor advised you?
    He said 4-5 days, I clarified "very strenuous cycling", and he said 7 days.

Dunno if he's being conservative or what... he said no sex for 7 days either and everything online says "as soon as you're ready". Before today sex wasn't even on my mind. Today I felt ready but I thought I should wait.

Everyone defines "strenuous activity" differently so I thought I'd ask my peers rather than a doctor who doesn't ride a bike.

banned
    Jul 2013
    Wait seven days if that is what the quack said. If you do it sooner and something goes wrong, you are less likely to win the lawsuit, and that means no sex and no new bike for the next 50 years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
    Wait seven days if that is what the quack said. If you do it sooner and something goes wrong, you are less likely to win the lawsuit, and that means no sex and no new bike for the next 50 years.

I haven't had sex for 50 years and it's terrible. I have, however, had some new bikes and that was pretty good.

banned
    Jul 2013
    Didn't miss much. Just a burnt match skating in a urinal.

Darling of The Lounge
    A vasectomy is on my bucket list of things I need to do. I'm getting too old to risk getting one past the goalie

wots...uh the deal?
    Doesn't everyone schedule this for the off season? Priorities!

Take some out of the saddle. Then when you do start, go easy and feel your way. Better to go too light than too hard. Base miles sort of riding if you can.

My only drawback riding was months afterward. While approaching a stop sign with rumble strips on the road, I didn't elevate off the saddle as much as I needed, only as much as I was used to previously. Rumbles strips teach lessons quickly.
    martymoose

Trigger Warning
    How are you feeling?

Keep this thread updated with your progress and how things go when you get back on the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014
    thanks for the tip. i will schedule this for the off season. i would have never thought of it that way.

Banned forever.....or not
    If you wait two or three hours before doing that 100 mile ride, you'll be good to go.

Trust me.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    I waited 10 days or so. Get a jock strap and keep them high and tight, works wonders on the comfort level.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    A vasectomy is on my bucket list of things I need to do. I'm getting too old to risk getting one past the goalie
    If she's that old too, then you're not playing ball anymore. What's the problem then?

User is infamous around
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post

Tony Randall wasn't too old!
    Quote Originally Posted by chudak View Post
    It's made with a mixture of titanium, unobtanium and the freshly harvested dew from the sweaty brows of 16 YO suburban virgins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Don't forget the ground up unicorn horn. That makes it magical.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisthebeave View Post

Dr. told me 7 days so that is what I did. Warned that the possible consequences weren't worth pushing it. Also did it in April after snowboarding season was over and when the weather typically sucks around here so when I returned to the biking it was on a stationary trainer for a while along with rowing and the stair climber. I was running a couple of weeks after the procedure. I had a minor flare up 2 weeks after the procedure that put me on a lot of Alleve for a week but didn't curtail any activity.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Tell us more about the biology.

Which fluids go where?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    I waited about 15 days before getting on the road. Did a couple days on the trainer between day 7-15. Probably took me a month before it wasn't noticeable when riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by myhui View Post
    Tell us more about the biology.

Which fluids go where?
    Only ~5% of the fluid in an ejaculation is the sperm. After a vasectomy, the sperm just gets absorbed back into the blood stream if I recall correctly. It's a very small amount of fluid.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoose View Post
    Doesn't everyone schedule this for the off season? Priorities!

Take some out of the saddle. Then when you do start, go easy and feel your way. Better to go too light than too hard. Base miles sort of riding if you can.

My only drawback riding was months afterward. While approaching a stop sign with rumble strips on the road, I didn't elevate off the saddle as much as I needed, only as much as I was used to previously. Rumbles strips teach lessons quickly.
    I'm already taking a week off for my honeymoon in a couple months and just finished an 8 week intervals training program. Didn't want to take a recovery week off from intervals (I needed it), another more-than-a-week off for this, and a third more-than-a-week off for honeymoon.

I can pretty much ride year round, so off-season vs on-season isn't an issue... timing it now meant I could take one fewer week off this year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Local Hero View Post
    How are you feeling?

Keep this thread updated with your progress and how things go when you get back on the bike.
    It's been five full 24 hour periods + 7-8 hours at the time of writing this and I feel worse today than I did yesterday.

It's weird... day 1 was pretty uncomfortable, day 2 was constant dull pain with random spikes, day 3 was very mild dull pain and no spikes, same with day 4, today is random spikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    I thought this was a simple outpatient procedure. Time off my bike?? Tubal ligation for the wife and I can still ride my bike = Win Win.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    At the bare minimum wait the time your doctor recommends. After that period, try not to go too nuts.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    At the bare minimum wait the time your doctor recommends. After that period, try not to go too nuts.
    Awwwwwww ........

Huge in Japan
    Vasectomy or no vasectomy you can't get a bike pregnant so if that is your thing then no need to wait.
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast