Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cycling caps:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010

Cycling caps:

Why have I never worn them until now???

Finally went to the LBS and picked up a Capo for a few bucks. Did a 4 hour hard ride today with some intervals mixed in and didn't get one drop of sweat in my eye or on my glasses with it on under my helmet.

I still think they look ridiculously stupid when people wear them while not biking but it is now my favorite piece of kit for riding/racing.
    Last edited by RUFUSPHOTO; 05-29-2011 at 08:14 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    They do wonders underneath your helmet.

Does it matter?
    I wear a classic cotton one in the winter. It works better for me than the hi-tech material skull cap that I was using before.

A wheelist
    I use a couple of them that I've cut the brim off. I don't need (want) it sticking out front (especially) or back. Then I got a handful of them for free from a welders' supply shop. They're just a plain thin cotton cap already minus the brim. If they make your head hot, just cut a large hole in the top.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    They're excellent for keeping sunburn off your head as well.
    With people like Peter P. around, I am done posting on this website. Mean people have driven me off after 9 plus years. Good luck newbies beware.

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    I use a couple of them that I've cut the brim off. I don't need (want) it sticking out front (especially) or back. Then I got a handful of them for free from a welders' supply shop. They're just a plain thin cotton cap already minus the brim. If they make your head hot, just cut a large hole in the top.
    Funny that you prefer cycling caps without the brim. The brim is their main attribute as I see it. Raindrops dripping off the front of it instead of behind my glasses is

On dry coldish days I wear a bandana (a.k.a. Pantani scarf), but that's only because I have one in my vast club kit wardrobe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I don't see any use for a brim so I use a bandana style thing.

My reason for wearing one was because I'm folically challenged and wanted to keep the sun off my head......but one ride without it and it's easy to realize that keep sweat drops off glasses and out of eyes it the real bonus.

I'm not really sure why somone would wear a cycling cap under a helmet to have a brim over sun glasses when they could use something thinner and without a brim but if it works for them..........

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    I just flip the brim up and it is not in my way at all. When the weather gets bad I will def. be putting it down to keep some of the rain off of my glasses.

Even with the brim up today I didn't get one drop. The brim was absolutely soaked too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RUFUSPHOTO View Post
    I just flip the brim up and it is not in my way at all. When the weather gets bad I will def. be putting it down to keep some of the rain off of my glasses.

Even with the brim up today I didn't get one drop. The brim was absolutely soaked too.
    ah, I never thought of that. Makes sense.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by kbwh View Post
    Funny that you prefer cycling caps without the brim. The brim is their main attribute as I see it. Raindrops dripping off the front of it instead of behind my glasses is.
    I'll wear kneesocks, baggy shorts and a world champion's jersey before I'll wear a forward facing brim. But that's me I guess - shallow.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

Fierce Pancake
    Cycling caps rule for keeping sweat and rain off, wind out of your eyes, and sun off your scalp. Like chamois cream and bibs they are one of those weird cycling things that simply work. I've worn my retro one till it's fallen apart and now have an even more retro one to replace it (both Castelli). Forward-facing brims are no problem for me and I'm a terrible poseur - I aspire to being shallow.
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Poast of the Day™.

RoadBikeReview Member
    try not to ride in the rain (i know i'm a wuss) but i wear skull caps under my helmet. i used to go through helmet pads like crazy from sweat trashing them. they would basically fall apart after a while. since i started wearing skull caps, no more problems there.
    Cook

I wear cycling caps in place of helmets.

I ♥ my CBC/Assos cycling cap!

Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Yeah, you come across as a rather hard headed bloke. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by kbwh View Post
    Yeah, you come across as a rather hard headed bloke. ;-)
    Yer not tellin' porkies...
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    I usually only use'em in bad weather and the winter. I make my own hats, and I usually make the brim smaller than what normal cycling hats have. Even with rain, I prefer the smaller brim.

Cycling hats are great though. Helps prevent helmet head as well.

Just Plain Bitter
    Once I got a helmet that ventilated well enough in warm weather I didn't need them anymore. In cold weather I wear a beanie, either Lululemon or Campagnolo to keep my noggin warm. I have a rule of not riding in the rain so no cycling hats for me unless I am on the singlespeed with my hipster friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

RoadBikeReview Member
    i've got a rapha waxed cotton cap that is dynamite in the rain. i wear caps off the bike pretty regularly, but only because they were under my helmet and i rode somewhere. i think they look good, classic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The first one I had was a Peugeot cap, 30 years ago. Simplicity and elegance. Good times.
    And for the record, I'm on Platy's side.

"Hinault: Le velo est un sport de combat"

RoadBikeReview Member
    My favorite cap, that I still wear, is a Colnago cap I bought when I bought my Colnago SL back in the 80's. I still have the frame, though badly damaged from a great crash...not so great then hehehe. The cap has a brim and I wear it backwards to keep the sun off my neck.
    Most of my cotton caps have had the brim removed. They make a great skull cap and are super absorbent.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    I have never used or worn a cap, but that may change after today's ride. I was riding along at about 20, and a bee flew in the top vent of my helmet, and ended up towards the back of it, and couldn't get out, or at least it though it couldn't. Before I could stop I was stung. Maybe a cap or cover of some kind would of helped, or at least made it so I didn't have to try and dig the stinger out of the back of my head without a mirror, just fingers by feel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tindrum View Post
    i wear caps off the bike pretty regularly, but only because they were under my helmet and i rode somewhere. i think they look good, classic.
    Do you wear cycling caps while hustling guys in two on two half court games in LA?

I ride in circles..
    I love my white Capo cap.. wear it regularly. Shall wear it tonight since I recently shaved my head and it's a little red already!
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

ReviewBikeRoad Member
    I love wearing caps under my helmet - so much so that I'm not looking forward to the climbing temps as summer creeps up, as it means I'll have to give up the cap as my head just gets too hot with it on when the temps are above 70.

FWIW I like the bill, it keeps the rain off of my glasses, and helps keep the sun out of my eyes... and it just looks cool.

acanfield
    Totally agree. Keep one in my bag in case the weather looks like rain. Flip the bill down (or turn it around) and you've got a great rain shield.

Also excellent for MTB'ing as an alternative to the helmet-mounted shields.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast