RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006

Cycling clothes mainly wool, but some lycra

Hi. I'm getting ready to purchase some cycling clothes mostly of the wool variety. I was planning to purchase a rain jacket, a wool jersey, and lycra shorts.

The questions I have are these:

1. Is there any difference between a rain jacket and a cycling jacket if both are advertised as breathable, wind resistant, and water resistant? I'm interested in the Gore Bike Wear Phantom, but can't see the difference between a rain jacket with the same wind and water resistant qualities.

2. I wanted to buy a wool jersey and only found ones that were over $50. Then I started to look up more wool apparel stuff online only to find that wool clothing is crazy expensive. Can I get wool cycling clothes (jersey, shorts, underwear, base layer) at a cheap price?

3. I want to get lycra shorts, but again these are pretty expensive. Where can I get these padded shorts for a smaller price.

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkdvsm View Post
    Hi. I'm getting ready to purchase some cycling clothes mostly of the wool variety. I was planning to purchase a rain jacket, a wool jersey, and lycra shorts.

The questions I have are these:

1. Is there any difference between a rain jacket and a cycling jacket if both are advertised as breathable, wind resistant, and water resistant? I'm interested in the Gore Bike Wear Phantom, but can't see the difference between a rain jacket with the same wind and water resistant qualities.
    Huge difference. One is made for cycling, one is not. Cut properly, sleeves shaped properly. Proper collar. Proper pockets. Etc.
    "It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    You can save a few dollars buying used cycling clothing. However good wool cycling gear is just plain expensive, new or used. If you want to be cheap forget wool. Buy breathable seasonal gear new or used that fits the weather. There are lots of sources for cheap bike gear including shorts.

A cycling specific rain jacket is very different from regular rain jackets. Usually they are designed to fold up and fit in a jersey pocket. They also need to be fitted and cut or they will flap or turn into a sweat bag.

Remember you don't have to buy the best, you don't have to have wool. If you are on a budget buy the best quality that fits your budget.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rkdvsm View Post
    Hi. I'm getting ready to purchase some cycling clothes mostly of the wool variety.
    Thanks!
    Why are you looking for wool? I had wool shorts, and still have some wool jerseys (30 years old), great fabric but it has it's limitations (good for the right climate).

IMO you get what you pay for when you buy cycling clothing, look for items on sale. Check for reviews, also make sure it is the right size (not too large).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    Probably the best value Sportswool cycling jerseys
    TORM®

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    I'm always hesitant to spend money on cycling stuff because anything of reasonable quality has a price.
    IMO, set the bar for at LEAST $ 50 for shorts on SALE.
    Wool gear is marketed as the "natural, breathable fabric" however, it loses its shape and elasticity and won't look that great after a few wearings.
    Cheap clothing is usually that-cheap garbage!
    Why wear ill fitting, terrible fabric, awful chamois(that doesn't fit) bad stitching..I could go on!
    There is a difference comparing a $50 short and a $200 bib.
    No need to spend a bundle but try to at least catch a closeout sale of a model that's being discontinued or improved.
    I most always default into being a cheapskate but, the last 10 or so years I've upped my tolerance level on pricey quality clothing and haven't regretted plunking down the cash.
    Cheap clothing usually has tacky awful graphics as well. Why would you want that?
    Last edited by carbonconvert; 04-13-2013 at 04:02 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerp View Post
    Why are you looking for wool? I had wool shorts, and still have some wool jerseys (30 years old), great fabric but it has it's limitations (good for the right climate).
    Agreed. I think the one area where wool performs well is with low humidity. Otherwise I don't see a performance advantage or even equivalent performance, especially at the price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Buy off season. Now is a good time to buy the left over Fall and Winter clothing that you can wear later this year. Check Nashbar or Jenson USA if you want some good stuff at low prices.
    Felt F3 (RED)
    Fuji Roubaix ACR 1.0

Not a rocket surgeon.
    I bought a few things from Aerotech Designs. I really like the stuff. Havent worn it much but seems to be good so far.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have two of the Torm jerseys that I wear about once a week during the winter. They are nice and not too expensive.

Wool is just expensive in any form whether it is cycling apparel or not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Unless you have a strong, experience-based reason to choose wool over well made synthetics, I don't see it. I've never experienced any performance, style or comfort advantage of wool technical garments over synthetic, and therefore have never understood the price premium paid for it. Therefore can't make any recommendations on that, except look for closeouts and deep-discount online sources.

For shorts: first, consider bibs rather than plain shorts. For some, plain shorts are fine. For a lot of riders, bibs are really much more comfortable and function better.

As for a source, you really need to try stuff on. I always start by recommending Performance. Why? First, their prices are often very good, especially with discounts. Second, they do have a decent variety of good brands to consider. Third, their store brand of shorts are actually very good, assuming they fit you and the padding works for you. Finally - and hte most important for something like shorts - is that they have a very liberal return policy .You can certainly order a variety of types and sizes to figure out what is best for you. You can even ride them for a while and if you don't like them, return them.

Performance and other online sources like Nashbar, etc. have deeply discounted jerseys and other apparel pretty regularly. If you're lean and mean, get "pro" or "racing" cut jerseys. If you like more relaxed fit, get club cut stuff. It's not baggy, just not totally form fitting.

banned
    Consider jogging gear. Unless you are a competitive racer and your cycling times are crucial, I would go for running gear instead. The only cycling gear I use is a helmet and a good pair of gel gloves, everything else I wear is designed for running in all kinds of weather and it works fine. Like Camilo mentions, you really have to try stuff on to see what fits best. I would go to a large sporting goods store, they will have good quality gear and you can sample everything.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    I second performance. I like their elite bibs. I once had a long sleeve wool jersey in the past and liked it. Today I would not buy it. No advantage. You mentioned wool shorts. Avoid

Another difference with a cycling jacket aside from what has been mentioned is that they are cut longer in the back to you avoid plumber's crack and water spray.

You did not ask, but the O2 rain jacket at $30 is an excellent rain jacket. If you want the jacket for more all around use, I recommend one of the shower's past models.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonconvert View Post
    I most always default into being a cheapskate but, the last 10 or so years I've upped my tolerance level on pricey quality clothing and haven't regretted plunking down the cash.
    As Oscar Wilde once said... ""I'm a man of simple tastes. I am always satisfied with the best."
    "It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Rode my first wool jersey last night - Rapha with a craft sleeveless base layer... it was perfect for the low 60s spring evening - I'm a believer. Dear in price but beautiful.

OTB

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    I'm a serious runner as well as cyclist. Running and cycling have two completely different needs and most are designed for the specific activity. I found out years ago when I went riding with a running jacket - the shoulders are cut differently so I wasn't comfortable bent over in the drops, there are no pockets in back to carry things, the running jacket stopped at my waist/hips so the back end/seat got soaked and very uncomfortable, my neck gor cold and wet, and on and on.

Agree with what others said about wool - it's okay in limited situations but for most use, synthetics is the best value