Thread: Cycling lights

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013

Cycling lights

Hi everyone !

I am a beginner in cycling, but have been biking my whole life ! ( bmx)

I am now trying to get into cycling. Living in new york city, I cycle in the night time, but need lights!

I'm looking into these right now :

Bicycle Super Bright LED Safety Light Over 100 Hours | eBay

is this a good deal ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Look at magicshine and dinotte, those little things are pointless. Also get some superbright reflective tape for sides of your bike, I suppose one of those little lights would be good on your helmet, but the bike needs proper lights.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Product Page
    Better price as found in Hot Deals!

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    It depends.

Do you want to buy a price? Or do you want to buy a light that will give you fighting chance in NYC traffic?

If you want to buy a price, respro found you a good price.

If you want to buy a light that will give you a fighting chance in NYC traffic, see Alfonsina's advice.

I live, work, and ride in the city. From May to mid-August is the only time of year I don't need a light. What I've found is that you want respect from traffic, you need respectable lights. Avoid the toys.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lights can serve two functions, conspicuity and path illumination. Flashing is best for conspicuity (and constant lights help with showing position and speed). In much of NYC you can rely on ambient illumination to light the path (road), but there are places/paths where you do need a good headlight. The faster you ride the brighter the headlight needed. 100-200 lumens might be OK for putting along at 10-12 mph (and good for conspicuity if flashing), but for anything over that 500 or more is needed. The shape of the beam (how that light is distributed) is also a factor to consider.

Here are some beam shots to give you a relative idea: Bicycle Light Comparison Guide - ModernBIKE.com
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here's the taillight I have and I don't think there's abetter one. It cost alot, but worth it.

300R RED Taillight with built in battery -- DiNotte Lighting USA Online Store

RoadBikeReview Member
    Blackburn (company) has a rear light called the Flea 2.0, which I'm a huge fan of. It's bright as all get out but the coolest part is that you charge it via your USB port on your PC. You should check it out, rear lights are cheap, but this guy is unique: http://www.blackburndesign.com/flea-...l#.UdRM0Jx0Zsg. I clip this to the back of my jersey and it projects about parallel to the road behind me.

I ride up and down the west side bike path from the GWB down to Chelsea in the evenings. I have a Cygolite 600, which did cost probably more than what you're looking to spend but!... people twenty yards out move out of the way.... the bike path literally clears, especially up north where it gets darker and this thing really cuts through darkness. I had a BMX gang part out of my way the other evening "daaaaamn son, that ish is like the sun" or something like that. It commands respect, people get the hell out of the way and cars notice you. It's also quite compact, I can unclip it from the bar and slip into my back pocket.

Like all others have said do you want to blink around or do you want something more serious? You may be able to get get a deal on a gently used one on fleabay.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    Blackburn (company) has a rear light called the Flea 2.0, which I'm a huge fan of. It's bright as all get out but the coolest part is that you charge it via your USB port on your PC. You should check it out, rear lights are cheap, but this guy is unique: http://www.blackburndesign.com/flea-...l#.UdRM0Jx0Zsg. I clip this to the back of my jersey and it projects about parallel to the road behind me.

I ride up and down the west side bike path from the GWB down to Chelsea in the evenings. I have a Cygolite 600, which did cost probably more than what you're looking to spend but!... people twenty yards out move out of the way.... the bike path literally clears, especially up north where it gets darker and this thing really cuts through darkness. I had a BMX gang part out of my way the other evening "daaaaamn son, that ish is like the sun" or something like that. It commands respect, people get the hell out of the way and cars notice you. It's also quite compact, I can unclip it from the bar and slip into my back pocket.

Like all others have said do you want to blink around or do you want something more serious? You may be able to get get a deal on a gently used one on fleabay.
    I had these lights before and had major issues recharging them. They worked great, when they worked. Have you had any issues recharging?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hmm, no, none that I can remember. BTW, you didn't by chance list them as a package on ebay? ha!

banned
    Make sure you get a light that will take batteries that are easily rechargeable. I have a Planet Bike Turbo light that takes two AAA batteries. If you do not have a recharger, pick one up and get rechargeable batteries. I have charged my batteries hundreds of times for my bike light alone. The batteries last a few years before they are used up. I suggest you find a bike light that takes AAA batteries, they charge much faster than AA and are not expensive. The AAA batteries also hold their charge longer than AA size.

The Planet Bike SuperFlash Turbo is 1 Watt and a Tail light. They sell for around $30 and can save your life. My light lasted about 8 years and then I had to replace it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Along with the great advice above about lights, i would suggest getting a pack of Lightwieghts. Its reflective tape pieces you put on your spokes. It adds an amazing amount of side visibility, adds almost no weight, and is invisible during the day. I had them on my commuter, and will be adding them to my new road bike too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The AAA batteries also hold their charge longer than AA size.
    I don't know where you got that. AA NiMh rechargeables have, on average, nearly three times the energy capacity of AAA.

Recharging time is meaningless if you do the sensible thing and have at least 2 sets for all your lights. Put the old ones in the charger and the charged ones in the light, and it doesn't matter whether it takes 2 hours or 24 hours to top them up.
    Eppur si muove.

RoadBikeReview Member

Cycling lights

Quote Originally Posted by Doink14 View Post
    I had these lights before and had major issues recharging them. They worked great, when they worked. Have you had any issues recharging?
    I have two of these. One for me and one for my wife. My wife's went bad. I contacted Blackburn and within 2 or 3 days Blackburn sent me a new light no questions asked and didn't even want the old one back. I've been very happy with my two fleas.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    I don't know where you got that. AA NiMh rechargeables have, on average, nearly three times the energy capacity of AAA.
    After you have used AAA and AA rechargeable batteries for over 10 years you get to know something about them. I have only one charger but many batteries. It takes about 1 hour to charge the AAA batteries, and after I put them back in my bike light. To charge AA batteries it can take 4-5 hours. When a charged battery sits, it self-discharges. The AA batteries that I fully charged a couple weeks ago, I can't even use on my digital camera, because they lose their charge capacity much faster than a AAA battery that sit.

Self discharge of rechargeable batteries is a common problem which now manufacturers are addressing.

The energy capacity of the battery makes no difference if much of the battery has lost its charge while it sits. I can use a AA battery that sits for a device like a television remote control, but not for something that requires and draws more energy, like a digital camera or a high intensity light.

I purchase high quality batteries from this website in case anyone is looking to buy batteries, shipping cost is very low too.

Batteries & Battery Chargers - Highest Capacity Rechargeable AA Batteries & NiMH Battery Chargers
    Last edited by Sisophous; 07-03-2013 at 11:14 AM.