Thread: Cycling Shoes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013

Cycling Shoes

Picking up my first pair of cycling shoes and I'm torn about the fit. Tried on the 46.5 and they felt snug but comfortable. The 47 felt a little roomier. My question is is it better to go with a snug fit or a looser one

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    A little loose is okay as your feet will swell a little while riding. Your foot shouldn't be moving around in the shoe. Too snug and your feet can start going numb.
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    snug...

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    tvad is correct if they are snug and comfortable like you said. I missed the comfortable part of your post. Tight is not good. Loose is not good either. I generally start my ride with my shoes snug and then loosen them up a bit as my feet swell after riding for a while. But I do keep them snug as tvad said.
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009

Cycling Shoes

I had the same problem. I went with the roomier one. Worked out great for me.

F@t B@st@rd
    Apr 2010
    IME, depends...

Natural leather = buy a tighter fitting shoe.
    Synthetic mat's = buy something with a little more toe room.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Re: Cycling Shoes

Get one with a little more room so your feet can swell. Also, most shoes have crap insoles. Go buy some SuperFeet and they will take up a bit more room and provide extra support.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Snug shoes going tight on a long ride = you're ****ing screwed.

Since you're new to cycling shoes you should go not for a loose shoe, but the looser of the two closest sizes you're between.

Recycle King
    A lot of people don't think about this but you can make fine adjustment by wearing a thicker or thinner pair of socks. I do that sometime depending on how swell are my feet after working all day for an early evening ride.
    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa, 1989 NYC Marathon winner

"Common sense is not too common these days."

"Cheap things have no value, valuable things are not cheap." - Fortune Cookie

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrunnerLXXI View Post
    A lot of people don't think about this but you can make fine adjustment by wearing a thicker or thinner pair of socks. I do that sometime depending on how swell are my feet after working all day for an early evening ride.
    Agreed. Also putting a slightly thinner or thicker insole can help fine tune your fit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    In my experience, it's better to avoid snug. Feet need to spread when loaded and also will swell slightly when you heat up. Too snug may lead to hot spots and numbness.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    OP, there aren't really any "facts" we can give you, just opinions and personal preferences.

Good point about socks though. When you try on shoes at the store make sure you are wearing an 'average' thickness sock so there's a little room to move either way if you need it.

Personally I prefer "very snug" shoes. I have the same preference when playing basketball, baseball, running, my skates are crazy snug and my street shoes are more snug than the average guy on the street.
    The moral of that story is that you might be able to get a clue about your preference in cycling shoes by looking at your preference from other sports and street shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Based on all the feedback I'm getting I think I'm going to go with the looser shoe. Once I tighten all the straps my foot is very secure

User is infamous around
    Also remember that natural materials can and will stretch with use. Leather (if conditioned) will conform to your foot contours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    Also remember that natural materials can and will stretch with use. Leather (if conditioned) will conform to your foot contours.
    True, but virtually no road or mtb shoe nowadays has any "natural materials". What looks like leather is Lorica or similar synthetic leather which doesn't stretch and maintains size and strength when wet.

For example, over the past 20 years I've had SIDI MX boots, road racing boots, and bicycling shoes and though they all looked like leather, none were.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Cycling Shoes

Or try on shoes from a different manufacturer. I just got new shoes and tried on 5 or 6 pairs to find the ones that were just right. All in the same size. Ones I got don't feel snug but hold my foot securely without feeling squeezed or constrained.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFan View Post
    Based on all the feedback I'm getting I think I'm going to go with the looser shoe. Once I tighten all the straps my foot is very secure
    just going to add, I did pursue a smaller shoe once when my feet hit a weird small. I have two Mavic shoes: one 42 2/3, and one 42. 42's returned to uselessness in a couple months. Was lucky they were just slightly used shoes at a cheap price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    loose. you can compensate with sock selection. Whereas snug will just be tight over a long ride.
    check my review page below!

www.roadiemanila.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    ... my street shoes are more snug than the average guy on the street.
    Not being smart but, how do you know this? I am often confused when people say things like 'snug'. I am thinking, what one person thinks is snug another person may feel is just right. - Confusing eh.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nzshooter View Post
    Not being smart but, how do you know this? I am often confused when people say things like 'snug'. I am thinking, what one person thinks is snug another person may feel is just right. - Confusing eh.
    Because every time I buy shoes with the assistance of a shoe salesperson I prefer at least a half size smaller than he/or she recommends. I am assuming the recommendation is based on the average person's preference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Because every time I buy shoes with the assistance of a shoe salesperson I prefer at least a half size smaller than he/or she recommends. I am assuming the recommendation is based on the average person's preference.
    Thanks. That makes sense

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
    Or try on shoes from a different manufacturer. I just got new shoes and tried on 5 or 6 pairs to find the ones that were just right. All in the same size. Ones I got don't feel snug but hold my foot securely without feeling squeezed or constrained.
    This.

Really, you should look around and try to find something that fits perfectly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by nzshooter View Post
    I am thinking, what one person thinks is snug another person may feel is just right. - Confusing eh.
    I agree that the definition of snug likely varies in this discussion, with some defining snug as tight, and others defining snug as a perfect fit (whatever that means to each of us).

I consider a snug fit akin to a nice hug from a good friend...you're not being crushed...just warmly embraced. You feel the shoe embracing your foot so that your foot doesn't slip inside the shoe, and your heel is securely in place during hard efforts. For me, it also means there's just enough space in the toe box so my toes aren't touching the front of the shoe during tempo riding, but will touch the end of the shoe during sprints, etc.

Now, I certainly want to be able to tighten the shoe to get this feeling, and to loosen the shoe if I want to...so I don't want the shoe to provide the "embrace" before I've tightened the fasteners. That would be a sign of a shoe that's too small for me.

Also, many have mentioned swelling feet during rides. I'm the opposite insofar as I tend to tighten the fasteners as a ride progresses. Perhaps it's the particular shoe I wear and a tendency for the material to become more supple as it gets warm (Sidi Genius 5 Pro).