Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Cycling socks questions.

14K views 42 replies 31 participants last post by  y2kota 
#1 ·
What's the deal with cycling socks. Never owned then. What's makes then special? What's the pros and cons of them? What should I look for in non cycling socks?

#2 ·
You look for whatever you're comfortable wearing. "Cycling socks," worn with "cycling shoes," tend to be thin (for a good shoe fit, and you don't need the cushioning of running socks), low-topped (though fashion shifts around a bit, and some riders like tall ones) and, most important, made of a fabric that wicks moisture (synthetic or wool). Groovy designs and colors are a fashion statement, NTTAWWT.

#5 ·
Marketing.
Don't know if it's all marketing...although there is some truth. I've long used standard cotton low rise socks, the ones I wear with my walking/running shoes, on the bike.

For christmas my sister got me a couple of pairs of socks from The Sock Guy. It changed my perception. They are much thinner than my running socks, they are made of a synthetic wicking material other than cotton and the cuff is thicker and stays up. Oh, and they have cool colors/designs ;)

Sure $10/pair is probably somewhat overpriced...but they are high quality and made in the US. Since I only wear them for cycling and bought a half dozen pairs they should last awhile.

#7 ·
I have sweaty feet and find that cycling socks keep my feet cooler and dryer than standard sports socks. I wear them with running shoes even when I'm not cycling.

It's also fashion. You can chose a style that coordinates and makes sort of a personal statement.

#8 ·
Definately worth it. Love cycling socks.
Although pricey function is definately no marketing.

Cycling socks are thin, breathable, light, wick sweat, allows your foot to fit nice and tight in the shoe with no slop, look great. I made the transition years back from your typical cotton socks and never looked back. hot summer days or long hours in those cotton socks made my feet a stinky sweaty mess and the fit of the shoe was terrible, and when the rain fell, sheesh. And when it was really cold they held the sweat and froze my feet. For me there's no comparison

Sure not cheap. Then again, my aerator's have lasted for years, elastic is fantastic, far better than anything I've ever owned ...

#11 · (Edited)
Cotton is bad. I've known this for over 45 years since a kid in the boy scouts. I'm just sayin', this aint a recent revelation.

Decent lightweight wool or wicking synthetic socks are all fine. You put the sock on your foot and stick it in a shoe. There is nothing special or unique about cycling specific socks...other than the cute little pictographs.

#12 · (Edited)
Looigi and I have the same experience all around. I've directly compared - both visually, and wearing them - synthetic socks marketed to runners and socks marketed to riders. There is variability in both from thick-ish to very thin. There is also no hard and fast difference in designs which says "this is a running sock" vs "this is a cycling sock". Both are made of the same materials (generally wicking synthetic, although you can still find cheap cotton athletic socks). Most importantly, in terms of "design for intended use", both types tend to have have more material to cushion the soles, reinforced heels and toes, and are thinner over the top of the foot. There is FAR more variability among "running socks" and among "cycling socks" than between the two groups.

Look for yourself. Take your favorite "cycling" socks to a store like Sports Authority or anywhere they sell a good variety of decent quality running socks and simply compare them in terms of how they're designed and what they're made of. I would bet you can find a "running" sock that is virtually identical in design and materials to your "cycling" sock. If you like a very thin cycling sock, you can find a comparable, very thin running sock. If you like a medium weight or thicker cycling sock, you can find a similar running sock. Same goes for the height of the sock, from low cut to above ankle.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with buying "cycling" socks. It's just that it's not necessary for function, and if you have a better local supply of running socks, you can undoubtedly find what you need locally. Or if you simply don't like logo-wear, it's easier to find a purelly generic looking running sock. Even the more subtle cycling socks generally have a large logo on them (not a big deal, but a difference in personal choice).

#17 ·
Don't overthink this; they're just socks. Prices vary; you can ride in socks you buy bulk at a flea market, or you can dump $14/pair on Assos summer socks (their winter ones, which are thicker and longer, are double that), or any range in between. Really, though, you're talking around, oh, $6-8/pair for decent Defeets, Sock Guy, or other cycling socks.

But it's kind of like wondering about your dress socks; some people are really picky about them, most of us don't really know much about our socks beyond colors. Even pricey socks aren't all that pricey, so play around. FWIW, I've found the best prices are at deep-discounters (e.g., Value City), often online ones (e.g., Sierra Trading Post).

Some cyclists, including IIRC our very own Kerry Irons, don't even wear socks, and don't miss 'em. Me, I like to wear wool socks, but synthetics are ok, too; you can find what works for you.

#18 ·
I really like Swiftwick socks. They offer some compression to prevent blood from pooling in your feet and are sweat wicking. They also come in different thicknesses and materials. FWIW, I've been a huge fan of compression shorts and socks for a few years. I think it makes a difference.

#19 ·
Socks, so long as they're not cotton and have a good fit, many will work.

I have (and like) cycling-specific socks from Pearl Izumi, Defeet, another I can't recall. This time of year here in New Hampshire I roll with my lightweight Darn Tough hiking socks, for comfort and a bit of extra warmth. I also have a couple of shorter 1/4-crew Darn Toughs I like when temps warm up over 50 but aren't hitting the 70+ range. Prices range from the $7-8 pair for the lightweight cycling socks to dang near $20 pair for the midweight Darn Tough hikers.

Try some, experiment, find what works for you and stick with it.

#21 ·
Wear whichever socks you find most comfortable. As Used2Run has already stated, Swiftwick socks are fantastic. I don't believe that compression stuff will appreciably improve your performance, but I can honestly say that these socks are the most comfortable I've ever worn.

I actually find myself wearing my Swiftwick socks whenever I can...even if it means wearing black socks with tennis shoes and shorts. I find them that comfortable.

Try a few cycling-specific socks. If you don't think they feel better than traditional socks, don't buy them anymore.

#23 ·
I've got some point6, they're ok. I've got Smartwool, they're OK. I've got Zoic I got on Chainlove, they're OK. Starter from Walmart (synthetic - 3 pair for $4), they're OK. It's just socks; they'll cost as much as you're willing to spend, and for the most part, work the same..

#26 ·
I have some low-rise Under Armor "golf" socks I use when I ride. I got them in the golf shop but I'm very happy with them.

They are non-cotton, are thinner on top with a mesh section, and thicker on the bottom for some cushion.

Really thin socks don't work for me - I need some cushioning between the shoe and my foot. I tried a thin pair of hiking liner socks I already had and in a couple minutes my feet were screaming.

#28 ·
I have only purchased cycling socks on sale when I bought at the LBS, but right now there are Wigwam Merino/silk socks on sale at Nashbar.com for $9.99 and other brands for less than $4 a pair. Performance.com is a bit more expensive but reasonable nonetheless.

#29 ·
When I started buying hiking socks, I was surprised at how technical they can be. I've basically replaced all my cotton socks with merino wool.

Sierra Trading Post is a good source. You can find some thing in various weights for 6-8$ a pair. Once you learn how to shop from their deal flyers, you can often bring that down a buck or two.

#32 ·
I'm really happy with the Addidas Climalite socks I purchased locally for $6/pair. The fabric is thin enough that you can see your skin through the socks. For warmer temps (70+ degrees) they work amazingly well at wicking sweat away from your feet and then letting well ventilated cycling shoes evaporate it away. For cooler temps they work too well and my feet freeze so I use Walmart Stater brand ankle socks made of a technical fabric.

#34 ·
By the way, for those of you that like Smartwool and other wool options, I use wool socks XC skiing probably 200+ hours a year. I used to use Smartwool but switched to Bridgedale. Bridgedale outwear the Smartwool by 10X and are better designed (which might be why they outwear them). I recommend them highly. I'll not use Smartwool any more.

I use them for cold weather riding too - they have a "technical" design, in that they have design features like many other athletic socks (think spots, thick spots, reinforced areas) and they are very satisfactory for that.

They make a million options - probably best to actually look at and handle some to see which look good for your purposes.

Give them a look. Bridgedale Socks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.