Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006

Cycling Tattoos?

I've long considered getting a bicycle chain around my upper arm...anyone ever done this or have any other cycling tattoos?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    No, don't see any point in deliberately scarring my body.

gastarbeiter
    what brand? shimano, campy, wipperman, sachs, sram, sedis?

why don't you just do a celtic pattern around your arm. it'll be totally early 90s retro.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Yeah dude, the best cycling tats are the road rash scars! Definite sign of a cyclist and not just a fan boy.

Seriously though, I dig cycling related stuff, and have considered it, though I would probably do a chainring. Not scarring myself any more than necessary at this point in my life though. Get what you want, but be sure you want it. I have one small one on my ankle from about 10 years ago that I've wished I didn't have for about 6. At least it's small and people rarely see or comment on it.

banned
    Mar 2004

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by namrufmot
    I've long considered getting a bicycle chain around my upper arm...anyone ever done this or have any other cycling tattoos?
    I have excellent self esteem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I'm really not into tatoos on myself, but I like how they look on some people.

If I were to get a cycling tat, I'd go for a crank or campagnolo logo.

Spin Diesel
    A friend of mine got "tatooed" once............. it left the word "Volvo" permanently embossed in his right calf for a few weeks and was in his opinion "not worth the pain" ............. of course he also got his in an unconventional manner so you might have better luck
    On your left!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Got one.

Took a bunch of extra links, put them together to form an infinity symbol and got it put on my right calf. The guy did a nice job and the chain looks three dimensional which imho is way cooler than a flat, two dimensional chain.

Thinking about putting teeth on the circle part of my peace sign so it looks like a chain ring or maybe gettin my back covered with Aubrey Beardsley's poster of Salome dancing with the head of John the Baptist on a platter. Once you get started the possibilities are endless.
    We have nothing to lube but our chains.

I'm on a time-out/temporary ban
    Quote Originally Posted by namrufmot

Knobby mtb randomly up and down yer back, legs and ass. That'd be cool.

A near lifesize tat of the front of Eddy Merckx coming at you on your chest; his ass riding away from you on yer back. Eddy should have his tongue hanging out like a dog.

The logo "Shimano 105" on your forearm. Think Shaun Palmer and his Cadillac tats.

One of those tri-hex wrench thingermajiggers on your shoulder.

If you really want to show dedication then tattoo a Park BT-2 "4th-hand" cable tool over yer heart.

The ears of Marco Pantani, one on each shoulder.

Tatoo on some permanent bike shorts. That would pay for itself in a couple years.

Lesseee, lesseee...

banned
    Don't do it. Start thinking of what it will look like on you when your thirty-five or forty-five.

Just like guys with shirts open down to their belly buttons, gold chains, and a mustache are a running joke about 70's hipsters, people covered with tattoos will eventually be a joke about the 00's.

You could make a fortune if you could find some way to invest in tattoo removal.

had it in the ear before
    tattoos are gay. NTTAWWT
    you might as well have gone to Taco Bell and had a Zima while dropping a blotter and snorting Tabasco. OMFG. ~ttug

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gutfiddle
    tattoos are gay. NTTAWWT

Jebus.... the sight of a little ink on skin really get you all that worked up? Or does it bring out some insecurity in you?

While it is a trite cliche, most tattooed people are rather tolerant and non-judgmental about the non-inked.

tofurkey hunting
    oh my.....as usual, rbr knows best. get whatever tattoo you desire. i've said it before and i'll say it again, if at X age my largest regret is a tattoo/tattoos, my life will have turned out just fine. i hear all the "regret" arguments, but for every "friend" you have that regrets their decision, there's another one that doesn't have an ounce of regret. i love that the OP asked a question of "anyone [who has] ever done this or have any other cycling tattoos?" and people w/o tattoos jump in to say how wrong "deliberately scarring" would be....hehe

besides, once that skin starts sagging, i don't think a little faded ink is going to make that much difference.

it seems that tattoos and vegetarianism get the "anti-" set all in a tizzy. what people do to their own bodies is a hot topic for some reason. IME although, i guess we are still trying to figure out at what point an appendage becomes and independent living attatchment, not controlled by the soul or brain of the person it is attached to... ;)
    i know i painted you a prettier picture, baby...my fiction beats the hell out of my truth

tofurkey hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by filtersweep
    Jebus.... the sight of a little ink on skin really get you all that worked up? Or does it bring out some insecurity in you?

While it is a trite cliche, most tattooed people are rather tolerant and non-judgmental about the non-inked.
    cliche or not...it does tend to be true...besides, according to KATZRKOL, non-inked people have self-esteem. i guess implying that those with tattoos get them because of a lack of self-esteem. that's right, i forgot that people with real self-esteem tell everybody about it.....oh, wait....
    i know i painted you a prettier picture, baby...my fiction beats the hell out of my truth

had it in the ear before
    Quote Originally Posted by filtersweep

actually I have 3 tatts and was just goofin' , but i doubt whether someone has been "inked" or not has any bearing on their tolerance or judgementalness of others, esp if its a tatt of a cross or barbed wire or butterflies on the lower back.
    you might as well have gone to Taco Bell and had a Zima while dropping a blotter and snorting Tabasco. OMFG. ~ttug

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Yeah, wait til you're 50.

[QUOTE=Under ACrookedSky]Don't do it. Start thinking of what it will look like on you when your thirty-five or forty-five.

Then you'll only have half as long to live with your regrets.

Never have figured out why people who don't want tattoos conclude that people who get one will regret it. Do they think that some day we'll all grow up and be just like them?

I'm 57, have 5 tattoos and some regrets, but they ain't about my tattoos.
    We have nothing to lube but our chains.

gastarbeiter
    Quote Originally Posted by Under ACrookedSky
    ...people covered with tattoos will eventually be a joke about the 00's..
    not that i disagree with you, but we're well into the 00's, 2006 to be precise ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    The coolest bike related tat I've ever seen was of a chainring shaped greasemark on someone's right calf ("rookie ring"). I think I saw it in an add in a Dirt Rag magazine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    If you don't like tattoos -- don't get one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    My point is, tattooed people generally don't go around saying it is "gay" not to be inked.

Quote Originally Posted by gutfiddle
    actually I have 3 tatts and was just goofin' , but i doubt whether someone has been "inked" or not has any bearing on their tolerance or judgementalness of others, esp if its a tatt of a cross or barbed wire or butterflies on the lower back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't want one, but I have no problem with people that do. To each their own...
    DFL>DNF>DNS

By the time you get home you won't remember why you didn't want to get off the couch.
    ---Val Garou

Moderatus Puisne
    Step 1 - Disconnect chain. If your chain does not have a quick-connect link, you may use an old one, but make sure not to clean it up.

Step 2 - Have an assistant help you wrap the chain around your upper arm at the desired level.

Step 3 - Apply 2-3 n-m of pressure

Presto! Instant chain tattoo! You could even give yourself a rookie mark on your calf every morning to go with it!

Of course, that's probably not what you were looking for...

RoadBikeReview Member

When I got laid off

a couple of years ago, I stopped in to a shop and had this put on.....what the h3ll !!!!
    No regrets..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cycling Tattoos?-tattoo.jpg  

banned
    The only tattoo I've thought about a Ferrari prancing horse shield on the nape of my neck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I wnat to get this tattooed on my right calf:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast