RoadBikeReview Member

Cycling's Occupational Hazard

Sharing from what I read..

Cycling's Occupational Hazard

Concussions Stir Up Concern Among Pro Cyclists; After a Crash, Spending 18 Hours a Day in Bed

Article Link below:

Cycling's Occupational Hazard - WSJ.com

Cycling's Occupational Hazard-ny-ci931_sp_cyc_g_20130520171645.jpg

AM999's Liberal Facist
    What is with the WSJ writing about cycling lately?

I note how they fail to mention the odds of getting a concussion in cycling are pretty damn low compared to any other popular sport. "Cycling's Occupational Hazard" indeed. You can get a concussion in any sport, and your odds of getting one in any other sport are far higher, I'd wager. Why call it "Cycling's Occupation Hazard" then?
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    I expect the rate of incidence is much higher among those that race vs. those that ride for fun and fitness. Crashing is very much a part of racing. It's not so much a part of rec riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Silly-ass article. All anecdotal. Absolutely no attempt to obtain or use any statistics. All we know from that article is that bike racers sometimes crash, and sometimes they get concussions. As others have said, I suspect that concussions are far more frequent in football, and hockey, and even soccer. But you won't know either way from that article.
    Eppur si muove.

AM999's Liberal Facist
    Quote Originally Posted by Haole-Maole View Post
    Is it such a bad thing that cycling gets coverage in the _Sports_ pages of a widely-read media institution such as the WSJ? Cycling _is_ a sport! Isn't it?

In any case, when you consider the demographics of WSJ's readers (some of them running the businesses that sponsor pro cycling teams), and the high cost of top-shelf bikes, it makes perfect sense to me.
    Study the ongoing recent story of Amy's Baking Company...before deciding that even bad press is a good thing. ;)
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    Silly-ass article. All anecdotal. Absolutely no attempt to obtain or use any statistics. All we know from that article is that bike racers sometimes crash, and sometimes they get concussions. As others have said, I suspect that concussions are far more frequent in football, and hockey, and even soccer. But you won't know either way from that article.

Quite Right... Hey crashing hurts and when ever you compete you push harder and take more risks. Often that means greater chance to make a mistake and a greater chance any mistake will hurt. I don't see where the news is.
    Joe
    Road Bike - Trek 5200 | MTB - 2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Bicycling also had a good article on concussions and helmets. I wish they put better helmets out for concussions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Is it such a bad thing that cycling gets coverage in the _Sports_ pages of a widely-read media institution such as the WSJ? Cycling _is_ a sport! Isn't it?

In any case, when you consider the demographics of WSJ's readers (some of them running the businesses that sponsor pro cycling teams), and the high cost of top-shelf bikes, it makes perfect sense to me.
    I don't think any of the responses here were objecting to the fact that WSJ or any other media outlet talks about cycling. We were objecting to the content of the article, which we found ill-considered and badly researched.
    Eppur si muove.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelS View Post
    I expect the rate of incidence is much higher among those that race vs. those that ride for fun and fitness. Crashing is very much a part of racing. It's not so much a part of rec riding.
    A big difference between crashing in a race (especially at the pro level) and crashing during a rec ride is that in a pro race the ambulance is usually close behind.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

AM999's Liberal Facist

Re: Cycling's Occupational Hazard

I didn't think any of the responses were _objecting_ to the WSJ talked about cycling either. Nor is my post a response to an _objection_. My post was a direct answer to the following very direct question:

Why does that upset you so? Is it because I didn't respond to your post?
    Upset, Naw. I notice it because this is the second moronic article about cycling printed by WSJ this week. And we're not that far into the week.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    While the articles only briefly touches on recreational cycling (which I do), the professionals are affected. Even though the rate for concussions during a professional race
    are high, not all the pro's will get into accidents, crash or suffer serious head injury. Saul Raisin is one extreme example of what can happen, but how many times has a
    Wiggins, Evans or a Nibali, been involved in a crash severe enough to cause them to reconsider career plans. In my opinion, not many. It is the "price of doing business", until either the sport is outlawed, banned or becomes extinct.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I didn't think any of the responses were _objecting_ to the fact that WSJ talked about cycling either. Nor is my post a response to an _objection_. My post was a direct answer to the following very direct question:
    Why does that upset you so? Is it because I didn't respond to your post? OK. So, you got my attention. Do you feel better now?
    Are you talking to me now? I'm not the least bit upset. Confused, but not enough to really care.
    Eppur si muove.

Road & Trail Warrior
    LOL...

"You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Well, who the hell else are you talkin' to? You talkin' to me? Well, I'm the only one here. Who the f--k do you think you're talkin' to?"
    "What is this? A center for ants?"