Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010

Cyclist flying by me going down hill only to get passed climbing...

I'm not sure i get the thought process here... Guys flying by me descending, which is fine, everyone's doing there own thing... but sheit man, many times way to close for comfort !

funny when a group of guys are descending, jocking for the inside line, being very aggressive with there moves as if it was a race... only to get dropped by me 10 min later when we start climbing... i mean what was the F-ing point of passing me ? I do admit, it is fun passing EVERYONE that just thought they were a bad ass passing me going down hill

want to prove to me your a bad ass... pass me climbing ;)

For president!
    People don't think they're a bad ass for passing you on a descent.

People don't think you're a bad ass for passing them on a climb.

Case closed.
    Formidable Pharmacologically

Not a rocket surgeon.
    You will be fine.

Baltic Scum
    I'm not sure I get the thought process here... Guys passing me climbing, thinking they're racing only to get dropped on the next downhill? Want to prove to me you're bad @ss? Grow a pair and learn how pass me downhill!

Just sayin'...
    Was juckt es die stolze Eiche, wenn sich ein Schwein an ihr kratzt?

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's likely that they are heavier than you. Heavy people go down hill faster than lighter people (typically) and then have to work harder to go up.......

I know you were not referring to a race, but when I am racing (190lbs at 8% BF), I will often go to the front for desents or even off the front so that I can just let it fly. That way I don't have to ride the brakes and can make the smaller guys work if I want.

I will also go to the front for a climb so that I can set a false pace (that I like), and then pack slide if I need to.

In your case, I would assume that the guys just like to go fast. So they let gravity take over. Then they either do not want to suffer up the climb or can't at the same pace you set.
    "The lower limit of dietary carbohydrate compatible with life apparently is zero, provided that adequate amounts of protein and fat are consumed."......http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?reco...10490&page=275

Feel free to PM me nutrition questions. I will answer them if I have time.....

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    This thread makes me think of Nibali yesterday...

I'm one of those fast descenders, BTW. We mostly do long double paceline TTTs, and the fast way is a steady heartbeat whatever the terrain.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kbwh View Post
    This thread makes me think of Nibali yesterday...

I myself don't think of Nibali's tactic that way., He said from the very start he couldn't keep up with AC on the climbs. I think of his tactics as trying to force something to happen. Making AC chase him and hoping for a mishap. The announcers have said many times the only way they will beat AC is if he crashes out. So either he sits back and enjoys the ride hoping to get a spot or he forces something to happen while fending off his 2nd and 3rd place rivals. Maybe even extracting AC out of competition.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    This post makes me think of another rider that challenged me on a timed climbing event. Timed event so I started the ride an hour after, passed him on the climb. As I did, he said he would pass me on the downhill. So freaking what, I've already gained an hour on the 10,000 ft climb. Oh, and he never caught me on the downhill.

Back from the dead
    The point of passing you is because you were going slower than he wanted to. Which is exactly the same reason you passed him.

Do you really expect no one ever to pass you?

This space for sale
    So the point is, no one should pass another rider unless your going uphill?
    Sometimes I ride my bike to nowhere, to see nothing, just so I can ride my bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    sorry guys, I'm probably not being very clear... my issue was being passed way to close for comfort... almost rubbing shoulders with me. When I'm passing someone going down hill, i wait for the right moment, when the road straightens in-between turns, NOT taking the inside line of a turn and cutting someone off when they don't know your there... that's kinda silly to me.

you guys are right though, to each his own... and i do love descending quickly

Back from the dead
    Quote Originally Posted by LinoD View Post
    you guys are right though, to each his own... and i do love descending quickly
    Apparently, not quickly enough.

RoadBikeRider
    I saw another post complaining about the guy lagging on the downhills, only to act like a bada$$ on the climbs.......not really but it makes it all =. Fast descents takes balls (and skill) , fast climbs takes stength and endurance. Get both and stop yer belly achin' or just ride solo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    For some of us larger riders...The only reason we climb is to descend at a very high rate of speed. It has nothing to do with being a bad ass, but everything to do with having the bike handling skills to go downhill fast.

If you get passed by a faster rider going downhill...it's because you are a slow descender...no other reason.

You get to pass them on a climb because you have a better power/weight ratio which again doesn't make you a bad ass unless you can beat Contador, Horner, Nibali, etc. up a climb...if you can do that...then hats off to you, then and only then will you get to be called a "Bad Ass"
    Bikes:
    • 2013 Scott Foil 40
    • 2013 Jamis Nova Race (winter training bike)
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    It has nothing to do with being a bad ass, but everything to do with having the bike handling skills to go downhill fast.
    or just being heavy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by khaizlip View Post
    or just being heavy
    Only when the road is straight...add in some tight, twisty switch backs and it has everything to do with skill.

Fat guys only go downhill fast when it's straight down with a long roll out...skilled guys go downhill fast regardless of the road
    Bikes:
    • 2013 Scott Foil 40
    • 2013 Jamis Nova Race (winter training bike)
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    I'm not sure i get the thought process here... Guys flying by me descending, which is fine, everyone's doing there own thing... but sheit man, many times way to close for comfort !

funny when a group of guys are descending, jocking for the inside line, being very aggressive with there moves as if it was a race... only to get dropped by me 10 min later when we start climbing... i mean what was the F-ing point of passing me ? I do admit, it is fun passing EVERYONE that just thought they were a bad ass passing me going down hill

I'm very happy for you......I hope you pass EVERYONE that just passed you.....
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    I'm sorry i every posted this... now i know how it feels to be "that" guy with the stupid post.

I'll go back to lurking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Okay is the issue is not holding a line and passing too close - whether you are going uphill or downhill... I do not like it anytime, squirrels are tough no matter the terrain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    yes, that's what i ment to say... but i tend to phrase things like a jackarse.

Quote Originally Posted by gsorvino View Post
    Okay is the issue is not holding a line and passing too close - whether you are going uphill or downhill... I do not like it anytime, squirrels are tough no matter the terrain.

Baltic Scum
    I'm sorry i every posted this... now i know how it feels to be "that" guy with the stupid post.

I'll go back to lurking.
    Nawww, come on - we'll pounce on the next schmuck together ...
    Was juckt es die stolze Eiche, wenn sich ein Schwein an ihr kratzt?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wait...so I'm NOT a bad ass if I can pass people on a climb? What's the flippin' point then?
    I ride mostly in the honorable pursuit of being kissed on both cheeks at the same time by one blond and one brunette. But not redheads, they scare me.

Old and Fixed, Moderator

I'll go back to lurking.

stick around.....no worries...just remember that internet bravado is usually met with sarcasm.. we've all been there
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member

I kinda sympathize about the close-for-comfort thing. I mean maybe it wasn't that dangerous, but even then there might've been a whole lot of road for it not to be as close in the first place. It's happened to me in the opposite manner. Caught and seemingly blasted someone away on the climb. I descend to the base to then pull over and the guy needlessly goes close to me. I kinda caught on that it could be an attitude thing judging by the initial gap, my pace on the descent, and how rough the road is - he surely had to push on that.

Still:It really depends on person. Maybe they wanted to get you back, maybe they didn't. You'd only know if you asked, but even then. So meh, just take it that (if) you came away unscathed and move on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast