RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003

cytomax vs. endurox

i just received my first training schedule from my coach and he has me scheduled to ride 5-6 days a week. what does everybody recommend for fast and complete recovery? where can i find it for cheap??? all info is appreciated greatly. thanks.

Kant phuckin sphell

You dont need that crap!

Any drink will do.
    I drink water when I ride.
    I like to eat things like cookies(little debbies are the bomb) or fig newtons!
    After you ride it is a good idea to get around 15-20 grams of protein in your systems.
    You dont need all these fancy drinks.
    All they do is make your water bottles smell bad when you forget to wash them out.
    Anyway:
    Cytomax is what you would want to drink while you are riding.
    Endurox r4 is what you drink after you ride.
    If I had to pick the flavors it would be lemon or lime(I cant really rember what frigging flavor they were tring to replicate) for they cytomax and fruit punch for the endurox.
    But inmo you are wasting your money.
    I can get the same results from a flat coke and a couple of scoops of peanutbutter and then some!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003

thanks but....

Quote Originally Posted by the bull
    Any drink will do.
    I drink water when I ride.
    I like to eat things like cookies(little debbies are the bomb) or fig newtons!
    After you ride it is a good idea to get around 15-20 grams of protein in your systems.
    You dont need all these fancy drinks.
    All they do is make your water bottles smell bad when you forget to wash them out.
    Anyway:
    Cytomax is what you would want to drink while you are riding.
    Endurox r4 is what you drink after you ride.
    If I had to pick the flavors it would be lemon or lime(I cant really rember what frigging flavor they were tring to replicate) for they cytomax and fruit punch for the endurox.
    But inmo you are wasting your money.
    I can get the same results from a flat coke and a couple of scoops of peanutbutter and then some!

actually i drink one bottle of water and one bottle of cytomax on most rides.....i just want to know what to drink AFTER a ride to speed and enhance recovery since i am going to be riding several days in a row now with my new schedule. more info/opinions please. thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member

vote for endurox

i started using endurox after i ride (don't even think about the fruit punch--get orange) a guy i ride with is a doctor and he started using it on my recomendation.(he used to use cytomax) imo it makes a beg difference after a ride (during the ride i drink only water)
    if i am riding consecutive days, the following days i feel just as strong as the day before, even long into the ride. i tried the same scenerio without endurox and the next day was a very noticable difference

i have not tried cytomax, but endurox has worked great for me, just make sure you drink it cold
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan

Maximum Gluteus

Another Vote For Endurox

And, yes, the Fruit Punch is NASTY. I use it, and it works well.

If you want to go REALLY cheap, try chocolate milk. No, it's not "scientific" but it (1) has the proteins for muscle repair, and (2) the carbs/sugars to reload your muscles.
    Yet another cycling blog...updated whenever.
    http://teamlardbutt.wordpress.com

We inched our way up the mountain, kilometer markers passing like kidney stones.

Anyone tried?

Game on, b*tches!

Try this for recovery.

I use 1 -2 scoops of whey protein in agout 24 oz of OJ or similar juice. Works great, is cheap, and tastes way better than Endurox. If you really want to use Endurox, find a Vitamin world store near you (in a mall?), join their club (free), and you get 30% off during select days of the month,usually the 1st Monday and Tues.
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003

endurox is caffeine

endurox doesnt do crap other than give u a mega dose of caffeine and a marginal amount of cheap protein thats junk. its a waste of money. caffeine is a drug, it makes u feel less tired. thats all your getting from endurox., well that and emptying ur wallet. hammer pro makes a good cheap post ride protein powder that will actually do something.

RoadBikeReview Member

Cheaper alternative

Quote Originally Posted by soulsurfer104
    i just received my first training schedule from my coach and he has me scheduled to ride 5-6 days a week. what does everybody recommend for fast and complete recovery? where can i find it for cheap??? all info is appreciated greatly. thanks.
    Rather suggest something stupid like, "Go eat a 40 oz steak immediately after finishing a ride", I'll link you to a site that sells formulas at low prices. They don't package them in fancy canisters or tubs, so they save money on packaging. They price it by the pound. They package it in heavy weight plastic bags, (in a cardboard shipping box of course)They have high quality protein powders and you can customize your own formula.
    http://proteinfactory.com/store/prod...e54576d37bb19b

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenyonCycleist
    endurox doesnt do crap other than give u a mega dose of caffeine and a marginal amount of cheap protein thats junk. its a waste of money. caffeine is a drug, it makes u feel less tired. thats all your getting from endurox., well that and emptying ur wallet. hammer pro makes a good cheap post ride protein powder that will actually do something.
    Do you even know how much caffeine, if any, is in Endurox R4?

Kant phuckin sphell

Red face What is stupid about eating steak?

I think 40 oz is alot. but isnt that what protein is?
    Well, maybe some of you prefer powder!
    After my ride today I came home and eat half a grilled chicken.
    Then I drank half a bottle of red wine.
    With some crackers and cheese.
    Then I ate a dove bar and half a box of girl scout cookies.
    I am going to eat steak fajtas tonight at a restaurant(with extra tortillias)!
    Tomarrow for breakfast......beacon egg cheese biscuts from Bojangles!
    I feel great!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003

Angry you disgust me

I think 40 oz is alot. but isnt that what protein is?
    Well, maybe some of you prefer powder!
    After my ride today I came home and eat half a grilled chicken.
    Then I drank half a bottle of red wine.
    With some crackers and cheese.
    Then I ate a dove bar and half a box of girl scout cookies.
    I am going to eat steak fajtas tonight at a restaurant(with extra tortillias)!
    Tomarrow for breakfast......beacon egg cheese biscuts from Bojangles!
    I feel great!

you disgust me. go buy a beach cruiser. that's an order.

(more advice on recovery solutions are welcome and appreciated)

Kant phuckin sphell

The sad thing is...

Most of these guys drinking their power drinks could not hang on my wheel if I WAS RIDING A BEACH CRUISER! They would be sitting there looking at their powerbar wrappers on the side of the road in fatigue!

AND THAT AIN'T NO JOKE!
    Last edited by the bull; 02-29-2004 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Because I left the e off of side

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Food

You can do very well with some quality protein and complex carbs. Examples would be a cheese sandwich on whole wheat, yogurt and fruit, lean chicken and popcorn cooked in olive oil, etc. etc. etc. You don't need all that much protein - knowledgeable nutritionists put the figure at something like 1 gm protein plus 9 gm carbs. No study has really optimized this, just proven that some protein is best. There's nothing magic in any of the recovery drinks. They're convenient if you don't want to think about it, but mostly a high priced, bad tasting alternative to actual food.

flinty-eyed moderator

I am a salty sweating sort of guy- Cytomax seems to work well with my system. Other stuff (especially 4-1 carb to protein stuff) causes bloating on the bike for me. Carry a few Gu/Powergels that your body likes too. A current favorite are the Razz Sorbet Cliff Shots.

Off the bike solid food tends to work the best. But during hot summers, I tend to make Endurox smoothies for post-ride enjoyment. Just need a cheap blender, frozen fruit, honey and cranberry juice. Throw in a scoop of Endurox and you are good to go. Later, I have a small dinner if still hungry.

Here is a hint - if your post has more then 3 exclamations points in it, you should reconsider posting it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

The best drink is one you that you can drink w/o vomiting.

For me Ultima is good - never becomes intolerable; never makes me nauseous. Lots of others hate the taste. I find Endurox intolerable b4, during or after riding. Accelerade is ok, but I lose my taste for it after a few hours and stop drinking it. Water and Enduroyte tablets work well on my long rides.

For me, recovery time seems to vary more according to how quickly I get something to eat than what the food is. Real food is fine if it's available. I've tried many of the miracle drinks and none of them have performed miracles. If you find one that works for you, drink it. They can't hurt anything but your wallet.
    We have nothing to lube but our chains.