Thread: D2 Shoe Review

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008

D2 Shoe Review

Today my new shoes arrived. But let me back up.

Since I started riding again at the end of April, I've had numb toes, pain in the feet, burning sensation, etc. I've tried on over a dozen different brands of shoe and nothing fit even close to right. I went to all the local shops too. I finally gave up and called D2. http://www.d2customfootwear.com/

They seemed confident that they could make shoes to fit. So ok, here we go. Fill out the form and give them a credit card number (this was Monday morning). The fit kit arrived on Thursday. That was quick. I went to see my bike fitter to do the fit kit and make a few adjustments to my bike. Using the supplied stuff, he made a tracing of each foot and took some key measurements. Then pressed each foot into it's own crush box to make an imprint of the bottom of my feet. I boxed it up and sent it back.

A week later I get a phone call from D2. Turns out my feet are a full metric size apart, I'm slightly bow-legged, and one foot is rather oddly shaped. This explains my trouble finding shoes that fit. They tell me that they can use 2 of their regular lasts as they are really good matches for my feet. So we go over other details like riding style, bike, etc. He says I could have them in hand in as little as two weeks. Here's hoping!

2 weeks from that call is tomorrow. Today the shoes arrived! Less than 4 weeks from when I initiated the process. I immediately mounted my cleats and went out for a ride. It's hot out, 107 today. Anyway, 28 miles later my feet still feel pretty good. There are a couple of spots that are off a bit and I think they'll settle out as the orthotic breaks in. If not, D2 said to send 'em back and they'll fix it.

All in all, I'm really happy with the new shoes. The carbon sole is nice and thick. Power transfer was much better than with the Sidi's. Support is fantastic. I don't have to fight the shoes any more to get my feet sort of comfortable. And best of all, they actually fit!

I certainly recommend them if you have trouble finding shoes that fit. IMO, well worth the cost and the results are outstanding. Here's a pic of my new shoes:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

cost?

Just curious what did these shoes cost you? Ihave been thinking custom shoes for a few years now, I've tried many things to avoid the cost. I had shoe specific orthotics made for my specialized S-Works shoes, they work pretty good. I have club toes and a Morton's Neuroma in my left foot. I've always felt taht I'd spend boat loads of mney and still have foot discmfort and be out of luck. I'm glad to hear your D2's are comfy after your first ride. Make sure to give a report after having broken them in a bit more. Enjoy, there is nothing like happy feet on a bike ride.

RoadBikeReview Member

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    I'm with Joel. I've had a pair for a number of years now and they look and fit like new. Best money I spent on shoes ever.

Dave

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidsonDuke
    That's it. +about $20 for shipping.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I hope they work out. I have been having issues as well, but soem new Shimnao E size shoes seem to be the ticket.

I thought about D2 a lot. But IMO and yes I know it's bad but they are sooo ugly.
    But if you have serious issues and ugly shoes can help you ride pain free then it's clearly a winner!
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

Seat's not level
    I'm seriously thinking D2 for my next shoe purchase. Glad to hear it's going well.

Please give us another review in 500 miles, and then again in a couple thousand.
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know. -- Abraham Lincoln, Unknown , Unknown

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just made the call and hit the web site to order a fit kit...

Let's see if my narrow, low volume feet will finally be happy...

Oh hai there
    Compared to the Sidi Ergo Carbons they really aren't that expensive.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by de.abeja
    Compared to the Sidi Ergo Carbons they really aren't that expensive.
    Yup and if you put a pair of orthotics in the Ergos then the D2's are going to be cheaper and actually sized to fit your feet...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    The URL for the D2 website is http://d2shoe.com/.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    UPDATE: Put in 54 miles today with a good climb in the middle. Happy feet! I'm loving these shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY
    IMO ... they are sooo ugly.
    I don't get it. As they are custom shoes, you can design your own so they look the way you want! http://www.d2shoe.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=29

How are they any uglier than any other shoe on the market?

jpshuman
    10,000 miles on my D2's and they are still fantastic. One of the best equipment investments you can make.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bump-a-roo!

Does anyone have any updates on their D2 experience?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Well, I've got over 2000 miles on 'em. Still very happy. Nothing else to add really. Great shoes.