Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 53

Thread: Deisel

  1. #1
    pedalpedalpedal
    Reputation: f3rg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    892

    Diesel

    I was at a red light today when a dude in a full-size diesel pickup went cruising by on the perpendicular green light. Right as he entered the intersection, his truck began belching super black fumes, almost looking like soot. He was f'ing with something on the center of the dash and giving me the evil eye as he passed. About a half-block later, the black fumes turned to light gray and he sped away.

    My question is, is it possible to adjust the fuel/air mixture on-the-fly in a diesel to cause the fumes to turn black like that? It just seemed a little too convenient that it happened only as the guy was driving right past me.
    Last edited by f3rg; 07-01-2010 at 03:49 PM.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    419
    simple answer is yes. you can put a tuner system that hooks to the engine computer in any vehicle, you can manage almost everything on the flie from it .
    This is gunna be interesting
    Quote Originally Posted by BentChainring
    "Friendo, I have learned one thing in acquiring wisdom. Its heavy, and it makes my back hurt. Please pass the pitcher!"

  3. #3
    What Would Google Do.
    Reputation: muscleendurance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,626
    you cant say 3rd without turd.

    ___
    if every man in the world actually played hide the weenie with every woman he ever fantasized over both herpes and stupid would be more of an epidemic than they already are.


    - Spanky_ 888007
    __

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    4,209
    Yep. There's accessory tuning boxes that will do what you describe. I've had it done to me more than once.

    The driver is compensating for lacking equipment in the underwear area.

  5. #5
    flinty-eyed moderator
    Reputation: Coolhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    12,252
    Ah the Hillbilly Smokescreen- a classic!
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

  6. #6
    banned
    Reputation: buck-50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7,258
    Quote Originally Posted by f3rg
    I was at a red light today when a dude in a full-size diesel pickup went cruising by on the perpendicular green light. Right as he entered the intersection, his truck began belching super black fumes, almost looking like soot. He was f'ing with something on the center of the dash and giving me the evil eye as he passed. About a half-block later, the black fumes turned to light gray and he sped away.

    My question is, is it possible to adjust the fuel/air mixture on-the-fly in a diesel to cause the fumes to turn black like that? It just seemed a little too convenient that it happened only as the guy was driving right past me.
    The bad news for you is that yep, he can do that.

    The bad news for him is that doing it probably cost him a gallon of Diesel.

  7. #7
    Idiot at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,634
    Quote Originally Posted by f3rg
    I was at a red light today when a dude in a full-size diesel pickup went cruising by on the perpendicular green light. Right as he entered the intersection, his truck began belching super black fumes, almost looking like soot. He was f'ing with something on the center of the dash and giving me the evil eye as he passed. About a half-block later, the black fumes turned to light gray and he sped away.

    My question is, is it possible to adjust the fuel/air mixture on-the-fly in a diesel to cause the fumes to turn black like that? It just seemed a little too convenient that it happened only as the guy was driving right past me.
    this?



    All the smoke = tons of torque increase (and HP).

    I had a guy in a convertible tailgating me one time on my tuned Golf TDI... then I went balls to the wall and covered the guy in good ol diesel smoke

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,122
    many of those tuned trucks will belch smoke from the driver flooring it,

    he may have done it on purpose, but it's unlikely that he's got a switch or device in his truck that's specifically just to belch smoke on bicyclists

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    11
    had that happen saturday on our local bridge guy pulled up in giant red deisel slowed down then blasted me with black smoke. Joke is on him a vw bus broke down ahead of him I went right on by never saw him again.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tommyrhodes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    679
    I drive a large diesel truck and hate cyclists. After work today I'm gonna drive down the MUT blowing smoke at those losers.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    11
    at least we will hear you coming

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tommyrhodes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    679
    I think I heard her say that.....

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    11
    if your truck was not so loud you would have heard her

  14. #14
    ...
    Reputation: Slim Again, Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,833
    The Diesel Huff ... the bubbas down here do it by slowing down, then goosing it.

    When the bubba puts the fuel to one of those big, heavy -250 muthas, all the truck can do at first is groan and choke and throw the black smoke.

    The bubbas love doing that ... not everyone of them, of course, but enough so that this is not unheard of. Can't be good for the engine or transmission, but the bubbas aren't known for, uh, thinking ahead.

    If you can see it coming then you can do a quick maneuver .... just hit your brakes and the bubba''ll overshoot. Then pull behind quickly and miss the cloud. Joke's on the bubba!
    Last edited by Slim Again, Soon; 06-23-2010 at 05:31 PM.

  15. #15
    banned
    Reputation: buck-50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Again, Soon
    The Diesel Huff ... the bubbas down here do it by slowing down, then goosing it.

    When the bubba puts the fuel to one of those big, heavy -250 muthas, all the truck can do at first is groan and choke and throw the black smoke.

    The bubbas love doing that ... not everyone of them, of course, but enough so that this is not unheard of. Can't be good for the engine or transmission, but the bubbas aren't known for, uh, thinking ahead.

    If you can see it coming then you can do a quick maneuver .... just hit your brakes and the bubba''ll overshoot. Then pull behind quickly and miss the cloud. Jokes on the bubba!
    Other than wasting fuel, it doesn't do much to a diesel- no spark plugs to foul.

  16. #16
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    37,314
    the unburned fuel is great for the air quality..
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

  17. #17
    turtle killer.
    Reputation: dysfunction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,854
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray
    the unburned fuel is great for the air quality..
    Who cares about the air, when you're sitting in a climate controlled cab that sucks it's air through a filter!

    Inconsiderate people still suck though.

  18. #18
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    37,314
    Quote Originally Posted by dysfunction
    Who cares about the air, when you're sitting in a climate controlled cab that sucks it's air through a filter!

    Inconsiderate people still suck though.
    lemme see....a 650 HP turbo charged diesel, 4x4, no off road, no snow.... short bed, extended cab, full 1 ton dually....one driver, no passengers, no cargo, no tow....

    yeah...they probably need that truck
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

  19. #19
    turtle killer.
    Reputation: dysfunction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,854
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray
    lemme see....a 650 HP turbo charged diesel, 4x4, no off road, no snow.... short bed, extended cab, full 1 ton dually....one driver, no passengers, no cargo, no tow....

    yeah...they probably need that truck
    I got rid of mine as soon as I no longer needed to haul equipment or tow. I don't miss the fuel bills, the noise, or the smell.. But yea, most trucks are nothing but bling for the owner.

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,122
    I drove a friend's tuned diesel truck a while back, it's actually a bit scary... they're pretty fast but all that power doesn't make it stop or corner any better

    it felt like a very out of control driving experience, not my cup of tea at all

  21. #21
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    37,314
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoe
    I drove a friend's tuned diesel truck a while back, it's actually a bit scary... they're pretty fast but all that power doesn't make it stop or corner any better

    it felt like a very out of control driving experience, not my cup of tea at all
    too bad more people don't realize that....same as 4 wd makes you go fast on snow....4 wd does NOT make you stop fast on snow!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

  22. #22
    It's Good For You!
    Reputation: snosaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    438
    My wife and I have a diesel truck...to pull our horse trailer.
    Yes, you can install non OEM parts to "tune" as you drive but believe it or not, in a nutshell, black smoke is good...i.e. burning fuel...gray/white is bad...burning oil (meaning serious engine problem).
    IMO, diesel trucks have enough power already. If you need to "boost" your diesel then you have other issues that are bigger than your truck. Our truck is stock and can pull a fully loaded trailer faster than I want to drive...no need to "boost" anything.
    Ski Good or Eat Wood

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,147
    I hate diesel. Even today's diesel cars suck, IMHO.

  24. #24
    Le MisÚrable
    Reputation: Ibashii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    4,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Killroy
    I hate diesel. Even today's diesel cars suck, IMHO.
    Funny, I like my 55mpg, 105hp particulate-filter-having diesel car that emits zero greenhouse gases.

    Me and the other 70+% of deisel-owning Euroland respectfully disagree with you. It's the American car industry and their lobby groups that have undermined diesel technology in the US, robbing the consumer of an economic and non-planet-warming passenger-car engine option that's more efficient than any hybrid.
    C'est dommage que je sois un ignorant, car je vous citerais une foule de choses ; mais je ne sais rien.

    --Hugo

    Living in France, le blog

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Killroy
    I hate diesel. Even today's diesel cars suck, IMHO.
    everyone's entitled to their opinion,

    but the BMW 335d is pretty sweet, 265 hp, 420 ft/lbs, 36 mpg on the freeway

    fast and doesn't burn much fuel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

2015 LIGHTS SHOOTOUT

Hot Deals See All Hot Deals >>

Interbike Featured Booths

Check out the hottest road bike products from these brands!



















See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook