Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deisel

pedalpedalpedal

Diesel

I was at a red light today when a dude in a full-size diesel pickup went cruising by on the perpendicular green light. Right as he entered the intersection, his truck began belching super black fumes, almost looking like soot. He was f'ing with something on the center of the dash and giving me the evil eye as he passed. About a half-block later, the black fumes turned to light gray and he sped away.

My question is, is it possible to adjust the fuel/air mixture on-the-fly in a diesel to cause the fumes to turn black like that? It just seemed a little too convenient that it happened only as the guy was driving right past me.
    Last edited by f3rg; 07-01-2010 at 03:49 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    simple answer is yes. you can put a tuner system that hooks to the engine computer in any vehicle, you can manage almost everything on the flie from it .
    This is gunna be interesting
    Quote Originally Posted by BentChainring
    "Friendo, I have learned one thing in acquiring wisdom. Its heavy, and it makes my back hurt. Please pass the pitcher!"

What Would Google Do.
    you cant say 3rd without turd.

___
    if every man in the world actually played hide the weenie with every woman he ever fantasized over both herpes and stupid would be more of an epidemic than they already are.

- Spanky_ 888007
    __

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Yep. There's accessory tuning boxes that will do what you describe. I've had it done to me more than once.

The driver is compensating for lacking equipment in the underwear area.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Ah the Hillbilly Smokescreen- a classic!
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by f3rg
    I was at a red light today when a dude in a full-size diesel pickup went cruising by on the perpendicular green light. Right as he entered the intersection, his truck began belching super black fumes, almost looking like soot. He was f'ing with something on the center of the dash and giving me the evil eye as he passed. About a half-block later, the black fumes turned to light gray and he sped away.

My question is, is it possible to adjust the fuel/air mixture on-the-fly in a diesel to cause the fumes to turn black like that? It just seemed a little too convenient that it happened only as the guy was driving right past me.
    The bad news for you is that yep, he can do that.

The bad news for him is that doing it probably cost him a gallon of Diesel.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by f3rg

this?

All the smoke = tons of torque increase (and HP).

I had a guy in a convertible tailgating me one time on my tuned Golf TDI... then I went balls to the wall and covered the guy in good ol diesel smoke

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    many of those tuned trucks will belch smoke from the driver flooring it,

he may have done it on purpose, but it's unlikely that he's got a switch or device in his truck that's specifically just to belch smoke on bicyclists

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    had that happen saturday on our local bridge guy pulled up in giant red deisel slowed down then blasted me with black smoke. Joke is on him a vw bus broke down ahead of him I went right on by never saw him again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I drive a large diesel truck and hate cyclists. After work today I'm gonna drive down the MUT blowing smoke at those losers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    at least we will hear you coming

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think I heard her say that.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    if your truck was not so loud you would have heard her

The Diesel Huff ... the bubbas down here do it by slowing down, then goosing it.

When the bubba puts the fuel to one of those big, heavy -250 muthas, all the truck can do at first is groan and choke and throw the black smoke.

The bubbas love doing that ... not everyone of them, of course, but enough so that this is not unheard of. Can't be good for the engine or transmission, but the bubbas aren't known for, uh, thinking ahead.

If you can see it coming then you can do a quick maneuver .... just hit your brakes and the bubba''ll overshoot. Then pull behind quickly and miss the cloud. Joke's on the bubba!
    Last edited by Slim Again, Soon; 06-23-2010 at 05:31 PM.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Again, Soon
    The Diesel Huff ... the bubbas down here do it by slowing down, then goosing it.

When the bubba puts the fuel to one of those big, heavy -250 muthas, all the truck can do at first is groan and choke and throw the black smoke.

The bubbas love doing that ... not everyone of them, of course, but enough so that this is not unheard of. Can't be good for the engine or transmission, but the bubbas aren't known for, uh, thinking ahead.

If you can see it coming then you can do a quick maneuver .... just hit your brakes and the bubba''ll overshoot. Then pull behind quickly and miss the cloud. Jokes on the bubba!
    Other than wasting fuel, it doesn't do much to a diesel- no spark plugs to foul.

Frog Whisperer
    the unburned fuel is great for the air quality..
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

turtle killer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray
    the unburned fuel is great for the air quality..
    Who cares about the air, when you're sitting in a climate controlled cab that sucks it's air through a filter!

Inconsiderate people still suck though.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by dysfunction
    Who cares about the air, when you're sitting in a climate controlled cab that sucks it's air through a filter!

Inconsiderate people still suck though.
    lemme see....a 650 HP turbo charged diesel, 4x4, no off road, no snow.... short bed, extended cab, full 1 ton dually....one driver, no passengers, no cargo, no tow....

yeah...they probably need that truck

turtle killer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray
    lemme see....a 650 HP turbo charged diesel, 4x4, no off road, no snow.... short bed, extended cab, full 1 ton dually....one driver, no passengers, no cargo, no tow....

yeah...they probably need that truck
    I got rid of mine as soon as I no longer needed to haul equipment or tow. I don't miss the fuel bills, the noise, or the smell.. But yea, most trucks are nothing but bling for the owner.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    I drove a friend's tuned diesel truck a while back, it's actually a bit scary... they're pretty fast but all that power doesn't make it stop or corner any better

it felt like a very out of control driving experience, not my cup of tea at all

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoe
    I drove a friend's tuned diesel truck a while back, it's actually a bit scary... they're pretty fast but all that power doesn't make it stop or corner any better

it felt like a very out of control driving experience, not my cup of tea at all
    too bad more people don't realize that....same as 4 wd makes you go fast on snow....4 wd does NOT make you stop fast on snow!

It's Good For You!
    My wife and I have a diesel truck...to pull our horse trailer.
    Yes, you can install non OEM parts to "tune" as you drive but believe it or not, in a nutshell, black smoke is good...i.e. burning fuel...gray/white is bad...burning oil (meaning serious engine problem).
    IMO, diesel trucks have enough power already. If you need to "boost" your diesel then you have other issues that are bigger than your truck. Our truck is stock and can pull a fully loaded trailer faster than I want to drive...no need to "boost" anything.
    Ski Good or Eat Wood

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I hate diesel. Even today's diesel cars suck, IMHO.

Le MisÚrable
    Quote Originally Posted by Killroy
    Funny, I like my 55mpg, 105hp particulate-filter-having diesel car that emits zero greenhouse gases.

Me and the other 70+% of deisel-owning Euroland respectfully disagree with you. It's the American car industry and their lobby groups that have undermined diesel technology in the US, robbing the consumer of an economic and non-planet-warming passenger-car engine option that's more efficient than any hybrid.
    C'est dommage que je sois un ignorant, car je vous citerais une foule de choses ; mais je ne sais rien.

--Hugo

Living in France, le blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Killroy
    everyone's entitled to their opinion,

but the BMW 335d is pretty sweet, 265 hp, 420 ft/lbs, 36 mpg on the freeway

fast and doesn't burn much fuel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast