Cowboy up

Denver: suggest rides please

I'm headed to Denver soon and I'm looking for some ride suggestions and also what type of bike to bring. I'd like to explore some off road (trail) areas and I may not have access to a car. Would cyclocross bike be good for all around riding including trails?

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Denver has an extensive MUP system. There's one down-loadable map here:

http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/708...2012_Final.pdf

There's also a pretty extensive light-rail system that you can take your bike on. Some rides to google:

Deer Creek Canyon (with or without High Grade Road) - accessible from downtown via the end of the SW light rail line or via MUP

Lookout Mountain (with many options thereafter) - accessible from downtown via the "W" light rail line or MUP

Golden Gate Canyon - also from the W line or MUP

There are also a number of Jefferson County Open Space parks (Apex, Mathews-Wiinters, White Ranch, Mount Falcon, Green Mountain) around the town of Golden with extensive dirt trail systems suitable for a cross bike. All are accessible from the W line (or MUP) from downtown.

You should be able to find lots of info based on this and some google searching.

Have fun!
    Last edited by OldChipper; 06-05-2013 at 05:01 PM.
    A road bike needs disk brakes like a fish needs a bicycle (with apologies to Ms. Dunn)

Cowboy up
    Thanks!

Any comments on bringing a cyclocross bike? Are there dirt trails near Denver and will the cross bike be sufficient or will I want a mtb bike? How about the trails around Boulder?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011

Since I took a fair amount of time to write a comprehensive response and provide links that you could have found on your own, it would be really great if you actually carefully read my message before posing more questions (that are answered in it).

Boulder is not easy to access without a car and I know little or nothing about the MTB trails there. There is an extensive hiking trail system, but a least until recently, bikes were banned on most of them.
    A road bike needs disk brakes like a fish needs a bicycle (with apologies to Ms. Dunn)

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011

Also depends on what you're comfortable riding on a 'cross bike vs an MTB. There are several shops that rent bikes in the area as well. I'd list some, but I'd guess you probably wouldn't read the list.