Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010

DeSoto 400 v/s Sugoi RS

Not making a contest between the two great bibs here. Just trying to get a comparison since I am hearing good things about both of them. Unfortunately no store around carries these two brands so I haven't had a chance get a feel on either.

I am strongly inclined towards DeSoto 400. But thinking of picking Sugoi RS as a second bib since I am getting good deal right now. However couple of concerns when comparing the two... (all this is second hand information from Google and RBR forum),

- Sugoi RS doesn't have that good compression
    - Sugoi fabric runs a little thin and becomes see-through (I was looking forward to the cool black/white scheme....)

I am hoping Sugoi/DeSoto owners will clear up some air here. It will be much helpful (to me and others trying to pick between the two).

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carsnoceans View Post
    Not making a contest between the two great bibs here. Just trying to get a comparison since I am hearing good things about both of them. Unfortunately no store around carries these two brands so I haven't had a chance get a feel on either.

I am strongly inclined towards DeSoto 400. But thinking of picking Sugoi RS as a second bib since I am getting good deal right now. However couple of concerns when comparing the two... (all this is second hand information from Google and RBR forum),

- Sugoi fabric runs a little thin and becomes see-through (I was looking forward to the cool black/white scheme....)

I am hoping Sugoi/DeSoto owners will clear up some air here. It will be much helpful (to me and others trying to pick between the two).

Thanks!

I bought some Desoto 400 Mile Bibs based on what I read here and hated them, too tight in the thighs, chamois too thick, just not a good fit for me. I have since purchased 2 pair of 2011 RS bibs ( Black and Black and White) and love them. Plenty of compression and just thick enough chamois, they fit me great and are comfortable on the long rides. I too have read that some people claim the fabric is see through, while it is thin it's not transparent, (I personally thought the Desoto's were transparent right above the groin)
    Bibs are like saddles, helmets and shoes, you have to try them to find out which ones fit you, I suggest you try them both and decide for yourself.

banned
    no experience with Desoto, had a pair of the Sugoi RS and liked the compression and pad thickness but the stiching on the upper right pad on my shorts would rub my butt not so nicely at times and eventually the stitching failed. I now ride with the Rapha Classic Bibs and they are heaven - best/most comfortable bibs I have ever worn.

banned
    Oct 2001
    bibs are close to saddles in what works for some may not work for others that said- I'm finding my comfort level in any quality pair of bib shorts has more to do with being fit well to my bike.

I has sugoi rs bibs a couple of years ago- I liked them, but they were thin- so thin they ended up w/ a hole on my butt after 2 rides (not the seam either). Fortunately I was able to return them.

I have 6 pairs of desoto bibs now and I use them in addition to a couple of pairs of craft. I recently got a pair of garneau bibs, while they're nice and comfortable, the quality is not that of the desotos nor the craft bibs.

At different times I had issues w/ saddle sores (even w/ the desoto bibs) and I found it was a fit issue, not a clothing issue. Once my position was fixed I've been saddle sore free since.

RoadBikeReview Member
    No experience with Desoto, but have the Sugoi RS bibs and love them. Wore the Sugoi RS shorts previously and was a little upset because they changed the chamois to the FX, after the first ride with the bibs I actually e-mailed Sugoi to complain about the chamois; after the second ride i decided I love the chamois (should have retracted my e-mail, but they never reponded).
    ----------------
    I am participating in the 2012 Tour de Cure to raise money to Help Stop Diabetes. Please Click Here to view my page or if you would like to make a donation.

Hanging 10 bra
    I have to say the Desoto is a love/hate deal very similar to the Glock pistol. You either hate them or love them. IN my case, I love both haha. The 400m are a tight fit but with my frame 6'3 189lbs with moderate thighs (nothing stupid huge) they fit great. I do worry about not having elastic around the legs but with all the panels it has, makes the desoto fit like a glove. I have no experience with the Sugoi ones. The only down fall with bib selections, if your LBS doesnt have a good deal of them, its a guessing game when online ordering. If you happen to purchase a Large set of 400m and they dont work, I will take them off your hands.

Sleep Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumper FSR View Post
    I bought some Desoto 400 Mile Bibs based on what I read here and hated them, too tight in the thighs, chamois too thick, just not a good fit for me. I have since purchased 2 pair of 2011 RS bibs ( Black and Black and White) and love them. Plenty of compression and just thick enough chamois, they fit me great and are comfortable on the long rides. I too have read that some people claim the fabric is see through, while it is thin it's not transparent, (I personally thought the Desoto's were transparent right above the groin)
    Bibs are like saddles, helmets and shoes, you have to try them to find out which ones fit you, I suggest you try them both and decide for yourself.
    I don't get this - you say the chamois is too thick on the DeSoto, yet you say the Sugoi isn't??? I have both, and can say that the Formula FX chamois is twice as thick as the 400 mile chamois. But, you posted before that you only wore them one time.
    Personally, I love the compression of the DeSotos. The Sugoi are fairly comfortable for short to mid distance rides. Any time I go for any distance, the DeSotos are the only ones I wear.
    For the see-through trait, that does happen over time with the Sugoi, but that's most likely to happen if you buy the snug fitting size. The pocket in the back of the DeSotos helps prevent this. I love those pockets.
    My carbon footprint has cleats

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanya View Post
    I don't get this - you say the chamois is too thick on the DeSoto, yet you say the Sugoi isn't??? I have both, and can say that the Formula FX chamois is twice as thick as the 400 mile chamois. But, you posted before that you only wore them one time.
    Personally, I love the compression of the DeSotos. The Sugoi are fairly comfortable for short to mid distance rides. Any time I go for any distance, the DeSotos are the only ones I wear.
    For the see-through trait, that does happen over time with the Sugoi, but that's most likely to happen if you buy the snug fitting size. The pocket in the back of the DeSotos helps prevent this. I love those pockets.
    Let me clarify, yes the chamois on the Desoto's was much thicker in the crotch then the FX chamois, fit poorly and put too much pressure on my N$ts, I did wear them once and sold them
    ...if they work for you great but they didn't for me
    Last edited by Stumpjumper FSR; 06-28-2011 at 05:51 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have two pair of Sugoi RS bibs, one pair I love and the other I don't. The set I love are black/blue and have a thicker material, the other pair are black/grey and are thin enough that the hairs on my legs come through the fabric. Before anyone says it, I am NOT shaving my legs. The grey panels are nearly see through. I have tried Assos, PI, Sugoi, and Performance Ultras and I think the Sugoi RS are the best so far.

chamois creme addict
    I just bought some new Sugoi RS bibs (our team is using them in custom kit, and I wanted another plain pair for training to have the same chamois). The last pair of RS I owned were in 2005. Overall the quality of the 2011 version is lower. Fabric is thinner, stitching is more fragile.

The Cube
    I have 2 sugoi rs shorts, and one bib. I like them overall fit fit and feel, but the bibs stitching connecting the upper front portion of the chamois has been coming undone (gradually for the last few months, they were about a year old/50 uses and washes when it started). if i'm not careful about placement, the cham will come out of place and there will be ensuing wingbat damage issues I'm not going to be willing to deal with. today was their last ride.

I'll continue to use the shorts as they have held up fine, but have ordered craft bibs from my LBS, which no longer carries sugoi.

so unless the new crafts are worse than questionable quality sugois, my loyalty to sugoi will be ending, but its not like i hate them.
    K$

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've been buying Descente Bibs and I really like them, but I have a question. I don't want to steal the thread, but I'm suppose to wear a large being 6'2", but I have skinny legs. I buy the mediums and have my wife extend the straps 6". Would the Desoto's be a better choice because of the smaller leg size? About 4' above my knee, I'm 17" and the largest part of my thigh is 21".

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have one of each. They're both very comfy to me, but the fabric on the RS is definitely thinner and more fragile (first pair lasted only a season, second pair I got so cheap I didnt care).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Waves77 View Post
    I have one of each. They're both very comfy to me, but the fabric on the RS is definitely thinner and more fragile (first pair lasted only a season, second pair I got so cheap I didnt care).
    I just ordered a pair of Sugoi RS for 75 bucks. IMO its expensive (being new to cycling world) but as far as quality bibs go... its probably a good deal?

When folks say, it only lasts a season are they talking a 5000 mile season or 1000... its a big difference to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just ordered a pair of Sugoi RS for 75 bucks. IMO its expensive (being new to cycling world) but as far as quality bibs go... its probably a good deal?

When folks say, it only lasts a season are they talking a 5000 mile season or 1000... its a big difference to me.
    $75 is a really great price, keep in mind some people spend $300 on pair (Assos, etc.) After a 7 hour ride you'll come to appreciate the differences.

The 400 mile ones can be found for as low as $125 on sale, they're great and more durable. The Sugois probably lasted me about 6-7K miles. FWIW what happened is that they got thin (read transparent) around the butt crack, I still wear them in the winter under wool tights.

CAADalyst
    got a pair of sugoi rs for 75 as well and love the fit and material but as others have mentioned the stiching is coming loose after only a few rides.

I think ill look elsewhere after these even as much as I like the chamois pad..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Waves77 View Post
    $75 is a really great price, keep in mind some people spend $300 on pair (Assos, etc.) After a 7 hour ride you'll come to appreciate the differences.

The 400 mile ones can be found for as low as $125 on sale, they're great and more durable. The Sugois probably lasted me about 6-7K miles. FWIW what happened is that they got thin (read transparent) around the butt crack, I still wear them in the winter under wool tights.
    Thanks Waves. I ordered a pair of each as I got both on sale (75 and 125, respectively). So I'll keep either or both depending on fit and comfort.

If it can last me 6-7K, its mooooooore than enough. Does the material get see-through (even if somewhat) when wet/sweaty... even in black color (I rstrained from ordering white one for same reason)?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I love my Sugoi RS, most comfortable pair I own. Having said that, the material stitched around the chamois is ripping, such a shame because they fit so nice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Are you all talking about 2011 Sugoi bibs or 2010? I heard 2011 bibs are the ones where the stitching quality has been an issue... if its 2010 as well then I'll cancel my order. Rather put this money towards another pair of Desoto or Castelli.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Are you all talking about 2011 Sugoi bibs or 2010? I heard 2011 bibs are the ones where the stitching quality has been an issue... if its 2010 as well then I'll cancel my order. Rather put this money towards another pair of Desoto or Castelli.
    I've have 2 pair of 2011 bibs, no quality issues here.
    Who is selling them for $75.00? I could use another pair.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    I haven't worn either bib, but I did order the Sugoi RS bib the other day from Sierra Trading Post online. They had them for $99.95 plus an additional 25% of by using coupon code STP11. Couldn't pass them up for $75. I'll pass along my thoughts on the bib once I receive them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005

Man I just don't see that. I think the fit/feel of the two bibs are similar. The chamois is where they differ imho.

banned
    Oct 2001
    On the durability side, I can tell you I have 3 pairs of desoto bibs that are now 3 years old and in regular rotation on my bike. The deepness of the black has faded a bit, but they've held up fine.

Another nice feature about desoto is the customer service- aside from being made in the US, I contacted them last year- I had a saddle seatpost combo that did damage to the stitching on 4 of my bibs before I caught it. They had me send them back and they restitched them for me. I offered to pay shipping both ways, but I only paid to ship them out - they sent them back UPS and the whole thing took about 2 weeks (including shipping time).

The only other manufacturer I know of who does that is Assos, but then you're sending them to switzerland, not san diego.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    +a million on the customer service comment with Desoto! California based company as well. Sure wish they worked for me as I think the construction/durability/CS can't be beat. ymmv

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have 2 pairs of the Sugoi RS. The fit is awesome, but the stitching on the bib straps is coming apart. The bottom edge of the short is fraying apart too. I called Sugoi and they said that I could take them back to the store and have the dealer handle a warranty. Of course I bought them online as they aren't available anywhere in my area. As soon as I find 2 replacements, they are going back.

It sounds like the construction is a common problem that Sugoi should honestly fess up to and correct.

Good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast