Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

Did Gravel do what disc's haven't been able to ?

Keep the bicycle industry alive?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Well, let's make a list:

Discs:
    -Were rejected by mainstream cyclists
    -Were seemingly forced upon us by "the industry," when there wasn't a high demand from road cyclists
    -Lacked a rallying cry or marketing "image"

Gravel bikes:
    -Made roadbiking accessible to the masses by providing a safe, isolated place in which to bike (fire roads)
    -Has created its own niche by opening up cycling to the masses
    -Exists outside the snobbish arenas of "road" or "mountain" biking (let's face it, both groups are isolating to outsiders)
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    That's what I think too....^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think it helped the industry grow - it was plenty alive before though.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    I personally love disc brakes on my road bike and most of my road rides have almost zero elevation gain loss (100ft per 10 miles) and I still prefer them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    does stirring the pot and spewing hate and grumpiness keep this forum alive? Or are such threads digging this forum's grave?
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Gave us one more reason to buy a bike.

So now in order to ride in every condition with comfort and efficiency I need;
    - Road bike
    - Gravel bike
    - Crit bike
    - TT bike
    - Commuter bike
    - Fixie
    - XC MTB
    - Downhill MTB
    - All mountain MTB
    - SS MTB
    - E - bike
    - Cruiser bike

And maybe a recumbent....or not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    does stirring the pot and spewing hate and grumpiness keep this forum alive? Or are such threads digging this forum's grave?
    where do you see hate brother?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    After riding 45 miles is a torrential downpour last night for Ragnar's bike and run relay race I'm really wishing my bike had disc brakes. Not only for the hundreds of deer, bunnies, and tree branches I nearly hit riding 20+mph at night on a paved trail with wet rim brakes but also the rediculous amount of time it took to clean the grey sludge off my rims today.

The second ride of 48 miles was much more enjoyable. I don't feel like disc brakes would have been any disadvantage even in ideal conditions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    where do you see hate brother?
    BC is right. I didn't respond initially because I thought your premise was absurd and still is. It drips with cynicism...that all innovation in bike design is driven by marketing and profit and not value added the customer. Sometimes goldielocks exists.

People are going to love their disk brakes. They exist for a reason. I don't want them where I ride but if I lived in the Alps and rode a lot in the rain, there would be a lot of converts. This has nothing to do with gravel bikes. A gravel bike is simply an endurance bike with more tire clearance...a further departure from pure slammed race bike. So both disc brake and genre of gravel bikes add value to specific riders. They are only related in that virtually all gravel bikes run disc brake because of tire width mostly.

Your thesis was dumb. Obtuse. You know you can be. You didn't disappoint. Your brain may not be wired toward looking for honest topics to discuss...lol.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    -Exists outside the snobbish arenas of "road" or "mountain" biking (let's face it, both groups are isolating to outsiders)
    This is so true. I see it here on these forums. Every time someone posts that they ride a hybrid, there is always somebody who bashes them for not having a "real bike".
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have no problems with the stopping power of rim brakes with aluminum rims, in fact yesterday on an extremely steep descent into a switchback, I was on the front brakes so hard my rear wheel lifted for a second before I moved my weight back more.

On carbon rims combined with rim brakes, you have to start braking earlier on steep descents, and in the rain, braking is just a suggestion, even applying the brakes to let the pads wipe the rim surface for a couple of rotations.

Gravel or not, I think the decision to use disc brakes is based on the thought that carbon rims look sexier and don't have the stopping power compromises, just some added weight.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    BC is right. I didn't respond initially because I thought your premise was absurd and still is. It drips with cynicism...that all innovation in bike design is driven by marketing and profit and not value added the customer. Sometimes goldielocks exists.

People are going to love their disk brakes. They exist for a reason. I don't want them where I ride but if I lived in the Alps and rode a lot in the rain, there would be a lot of converts. This has nothing to do with gravel bikes. A gravel bike is simply an endurance bike with more tire clearance...a further departure from pure slammed race bike. So both disc brake and genre of gravel bikes add value to specific riders. They are only related in that virtually all gravel bikes run disc brake because of tire width mostly.

Your thesis was dumb. Obtuse. You know you can be. You didn't disappoint. Your brain may not be wired toward looking for honest topics to discuss...lol.
    Are you still stinging from the handle bar thread?

The premise isn't about whether disc brakes are needed or not, it's about if Gravel bikes have sold the amount of units that the industry was hoping Disc equipped bikes were supposed to, but obviously didn't.

Gravel bikes seemed to have come out of nowhere and were not over hyped, where as Disc bikes were gonna take over, supposedly.

Simple question really.

Road Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    Gave us one more reason to buy a bike.

So now in order to ride in every condition with comfort and efficiency I need;
    - Road bike
    - Gravel bike
    - Crit bike
    - TT bike
    - Commuter bike
    - Fixie
    - XC MTB
    - Downhill MTB
    - All mountain MTB
    - SS MTB
    - E - bike
    - Cruiser bike

And maybe a recumbent....or not.
    Is there a down side to all of these choices, other than the obvious impact to the old bank account!! You know the old saying,, you can't be too thin, have too much money, too many shotguns, or too many bikes!! IMHO, the best feature of disk brakes is the ability to ride wider tires..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Are you still stinging from the handle bar thread?

The premise isn't about whether disc brakes are needed or not, it's about if Gravel bikes have sold the amount of units that the industry was hoping Disc equipped bikes were supposed to, but obviously didn't.

Gravel bikes seemed to have come out of nowhere and were not over hyped, where as Disc bikes were gonna take over, supposedly.

Simple question really.
    Stinging? Why because you sullied that thread. I could care less. You have a knack for it. Truthfully, I view your posts as vacuous and non valued added. More entertainment. Including your obtuse comparison between disc brake and gravel bike sales. Are you an industry insider? How on earth do you know whether disc brakes or gravel bikes have met or missed company forecasts. Most forecasts are a swag anyway. Nobody has a crystal ball or companies would be a lot richer. Your assertion is absurd. You may know that and just want to throw some crap against the wall as BC said to sully the forum.
    I know a lot about cycling. You, not so much...lol.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008

Absurd question really. It first presumes that you alone are privy to a industry agreed upon number of bikes that would be sold because of disc brakes (the rest of us have doubt that such a number exists). Secondly, I presume that you are also privy to an industry agreed target number (now aparently exceeded) of gravel bikes? Perhaps you'd share that information with us?

Finally, I'm betting that the number of disc road bikes sold exceeds the gravel bike number by a large margin.

It strikes me that your thread is really about your ongoing bout with the vapors caused by the wide acceptance of disc brakes by non-Luddites?

Have you tried smelling salts? Or, perhaps going to your safe space would protect you from your fear of capitalist bass turds forcing you to buy disc brakes.

We're all pulling for you.
    Last edited by SwiftSolo; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:03 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Not that Disc Brakes are bad, It just seems they are struggling to quickly saturate the market.

Seems like Gravel bikes came along at a good time.

Nothing more nothing less.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    Stinging? Why because you sullied that thread. I could care less. You have a knack for it. Truthfully, I view your posts as vacuous and non valued added. More entertainment. Including your obtuse comparison between disc brake and gravel bike sales. Are you an industry insider? How on earth do you know whether disc brakes or gravel bikes have met or missed company forecasts. Most forecasts are a swag anyway. Nobody has a crystal ball or companies would be a lot richer. Your assertion is absurd. You may know that and just want to throw some crap against the wall as BC said to sully the forum.
    I know a lot about cycling. You, not so much...lol.
    There's probably an ointment for you're condition.

Russian Troll Farmer
    OK, I own road bikes and a gravel bike (technically an 'adventure touring' bike, but it's set up as a gravel bike) WITH discs. I actually like both together, but I still wouldn't want to put discs on a road bike, unless I were doing a lot of very fast descents (I'm 57 now, and my days of doing 50+ mph descents are in the past). I can see the gravel-bike phenomenon helping the roadbike community, at least until Wal-Mart starts selling cheap knock-offs. Disc brakes will still be limited to MTB's, touring, and high-end road bikes for the foreseeable future.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Oh my, a troll who doesn't know the difference between your and you're. What will they think of next?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not that Disc Brakes are bad, It just seems they are struggling to quickly saturate the market.

You continue to be wrong and make false extrapolations.
    The public speaks to demand for a given commodity, not you or any fictitious prognostication or wrong notion you have in your head nobody cares about. Disc brakes are good. In fact they are great. They aren't for everybody is the point. Demographics varies. Environment varies. Riding venues vary. Disc meets demand where consumers ask for it. I have stated before in flat Florida where I ride, there isn't much need for disc brakes. I would be the first guy to sign up in the mountains. Demand is being met in correct proportion...not some notion of what you believe to be correct but rather correct to those that desire this technology.

Gravel bikes didn't come out at a good or bad time. Neither did automobiles, the internet or the cell phone. There is no ideal point of inception. Technology and invention is evolutionary and derivative. The gravel bike is the synthesis of the 29er mtb which was spawned from the 26" mtb and endurance road bike. An evolution of the cyclocross bike. It happened on the heels of these previous genres of bike that came along as natural evolution of the bicycle each folding into the technology of one another.

RoadBikeReview Member
    not for yours palie. You know what they say, d__b runs clean to the bone...lol. Blame your parents.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Might be a thread drift but...

I saw a dude today riding a bike with deep carbon aero rims and flat bars. I couldn't tell you what kind of brakes he was running as I was busy shaking my head over his handlebar\wheel combination.

Just a guess but probably disc brakes.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005

Gravel bikes (and cross, mountain etc...) are almost 100% sourced with disc brakes so, I don't think there is any doubt that disc is superior braking. IMO, once the bike manufacturers no longer offer a choice then the transition will be complete.

My next road bike will be disc. Planning on getting a cross bike (disc) and using it for everything else. The wheels are the problem. It's just a large amount of money transitioning to everything disc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Oh my, a troll who doesn't know the difference between your and you're. What will they think of next?
    Hi stocker

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast