Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    They are just going to get clogged up with amputated body parts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    They are just going to get clogged up with amputated body parts.
    What they need to do is put a serrated edge on the rotor so that the body parts grind up and fall out of those small holes. Same basic approach as a garbage disposal

Forever a Student
    Nevermind, they're most certainly needed.

After watching this video in slow mo and hearing about the guy getting his leg sliced open from the disc brake, I think they're a good idea for the average joe blow out there.

Specialized studying road.cc reader's disc brake injury video | road.cc

If you watch in slow mo (click the gear, change speed to 0.25) you can see that the guy with the red bike comes up and slices the hell out of the back of the leg of the guy with the camera. You can't see the cutting or blood on the video but it's just out of frame.

He sent pictures and video to Specialized, as if they're going to do anything.

So here it is, a confirmed case of a disc brake cutting open someone's leg on a group ride basically from half wheeling.

And a side note, I wouldn't be caught dead riding with them, they're just an accident waiting to happen.
    use a torque wrench

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Nevermind, they're most certainly needed.

After watching this video in slow mo and hearing about the guy getting his leg sliced open from the disc brake, I think they're a good idea for the average joe blow out there.

Specialized studying road.cc reader's disc brake injury video | road.cc

If you watch in slow mo (click the gear, change speed to 0.25) you can see that the guy with the red bike comes up and slices the hell out of the back of the leg of the guy with the camera. You can't see the cutting or blood on the video but it's just out of frame.

He sent pictures and video to Specialized, as if they're going to do anything.

So here it is, a confirmed case of a disc brake cutting open someone's leg on a group ride basically from half wheeling.

And a side note, I wouldn't be caught dead riding with them, they're just an accident waiting to happen.

Remind me never to ride in that group....that video is basically a compilation of all the things you never do in a group ride situation.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Remind me never to ride in that group....that video is basically a compilation of all the things you never do in a group ride situation.
    The dumbass in yellow didn't even have his hands on the brakes! They were up on the top of the bars. Instead of sliding them down the hoods to grab the levers, he reached only his right hand down to the drops. (So now he's off balance while braking and ramming into the guy.) He tried to grab the brake and missed. His left hand never was in reach of the brake lever.
    #FullofFail
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member

Exactly.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    If Three's Company ever gets rebooted, Jack Tripper 2.0 will be running disc brake guards on the bike he clumsily rides into deep sand.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    I'm calling BS on that video and the claim that a disc sliced anybody.

Even if a disc DID hit someone's leg, at the slow speed they were going, the speed of a disc rotating would be very slow.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    The dumbass in yellow didn't even have his hands on the brakes! They were up on the top of the bars. Instead of sliding them down the hoods to grab the levers, he reached only his right hand down to the drops. (So now he's off balance while braking and ramming into the guy.) He tried to grab the brake and missed. His left hand never was in reach of the brake lever.
    #FullofFail

Hands not on brakes...No obvious file or paceline organization....the front guys obviously don't signal braking/stopping or communicating even "CAR UP!"....the guys in back are all over both sides of a bad narrow farm road barely wide enough for 1 car....the front fellow (I presume is with the overtaking pack) is riding over cracks and potholes....I'll guess no one had mirrors on their helmets or handlebars....I didn't hear anyone call out the pass.....then there's half-wheeling....

What else am I missing?
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    I'm calling BS on that video and the claim that a disc sliced anybody.

Even if a disc DID hit someone's leg, at the slow speed they were going, the speed of a disc rotating would be very slow.
    the moon landing was fake too.

Forever a Student
    He actually got a deep cut from the disc brake, had to go to the hospital.

The bike had blood on it too, he sent pics of the bloody rotor/bike to Specialized. Specialized is not denying that the brake cut the guys leg open. They hope he gets well soon and they're taking the incident into consideration in terms of improving rider safety in the future. No BS there.

That being said... Imagine the first guy (missed his brake lever) ramming into peoples legs all the time with disc brakes. I'm sure most people can avoid just rolling up on someones leg like that, but you know, it obviously happens.... my god this group.... help us all.
    use a torque wrench

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    What else am I missing?
    The guy on the red bike was looking behind him to the left @ 22sec. Then @ 25sec. his head was turned to the right looking at the walkers as he crashed into the guy. His eyes were everywhere... except in front of him.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Adorable Furry Hombre

The bike had blood on it too, he sent pics of the bloody rotor/bike to Specialized. Specialized is not denying that the brake cut the guys leg open. They hope he gets well soon and they're taking the incident into consideration in terms of improving rider safety in the future. No BS there.

That being said... Imagine the first guy (missed his brake lever) ramming into peoples legs all the time with disc brakes. I'm sure most people can avoid just rolling up on someones leg like that, but you know, it obviously happens.... my god this group.... help us all.

Thing is, discs or no....a pack crash like that is going to end with someone with a laceration and needing First Aid. be it from a chainring or a chain or what have you.

For all the kvetching about disc brake safety...it starts with riding safe and smart. And for the UCI road peloton--if they actually raced instead of doing a group training ride 90% of the distance with a 200-rider pack....there number of accidents would go down.

Forever a Student
    Well just imagine you're riding along by yourself, going home or something, chilling out and just riding along... then that group rides up on you. You start to accelerate away as you see the guy to your right but a car pulls out in front of you... and bam!

I agree that chainrings can be dangerous and all kinds of things, but it's nice not having the dangerous stuff on the leading edge, you know? Not always the brightest pilots behind them.
    use a torque wrench

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Thing is, discs or no....a pack crash like that is going to end with someone with a laceration and needing First Aid. be it from a chainring or a chain or what have you.
    I'd be more worried about a broken collar bone, going into a ditch, or being pushed into oncoming traffic than a cut on my leg.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    They neither confirmed nor denied. They did the smart thing and simply said "thank you for sharing your coughBScough story with us".

“Our product and engineering team are reviewing the details,” In other words, the product and engineering teams are getting a good laugh from this bogus nonsense.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    This is a major distraction from the real issue, which is that people need to stop sharpening their tires.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Holy cow, what a complete spaz session caught on camera.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    you can tell which posters are on disc brakes in this thread.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    you can tell which posters are on disc brakes in this thread.

Yeah, the ones not posting hysterical BS

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    My next bike is gonna be named "the amputator!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well just imagine you're riding along by yourself, going home or something, chilling out and just riding along... then that group rides up on you. You start to accelerate away as you see the guy to your right but a car pulls out in front of you... and bam!

Well just imagine you're riding along by yourself, going home or something, chilling out and just riding along and realize there is a giant shadow over you. You then realize it's a giant asteroid. You pedal hard to try to get out of its way, but to no avail. Then BAM!

Possible, but highly unlikely.
    Last edited by Lombard; 05-04-2017 at 10:35 AM.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Well just imagine you're riding along by yourself, going home or something, chilling out and just riding along and realize there is a giant shadow over you. You then realize it's a giant asteroid. You pedal hard to try to get out of its way, but to no avail. Then BAM!

Possible, but highly unlikely.
    This makes me wonder, if the dinosaurs had bikes (fast ones), would they be alive today?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    This makes me wonder, if the dinosaurs had bikes (fast ones), would they be alive today?
    Not if they had discs. Cause then of course, they'd all be dead

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Not if they had discs. Cause then of course, they'd all be dead

Yep, cause they would have all been sliced up like bologna!

-- Warren Buffett

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast