View Poll Results: Disprectful to ride through a cemetery?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, very disrespectful

5 3.62%
  • Should be avoided

16 11.59%
  • No, not disrespectful

109 78.99%
  • Great places to train

8 5.80%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Master debator.
    The cemetery where I would like to be buried has some nice roads with some decent pitches to them. I often bike through it to visit my parents grave. Also the local mountain bike course runs right along the edge of it for quite a ways. I'd love to think of people biking right next to my grave, heck I'd be tickled if someone could bunny hop my grave site
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

I'm Gumby, Damnit!
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    If they're the undead it'd probably be wise to be carrying a shovel or some such club-like implement.
    That's why I was asking. My tool bag isn't big enough for a shovel or anything heavy...and I don't think my tire tools will be heavy enough to do any damage to their already rotting heads.

And for what it's worth, I voted "No" to it being disrespectful. A lot of people walk in the most well-known/historic cemeteries here in Chattanooga. So what's the difference in riding and walking? Again, as several others have already mentioned...just be mindful of where you are.
    Does this saddle make my azz look fat?

RoadBikeReview Member
    There used to be a yearly ride just before Halloween that went through some cemeteries in Seattle. A group of 20 to 30 cyclists, some in costumes. I did it twice and felt uncomfortable each time. People were there visiting their departed and we come through just having fun. To me it was as if we were riding through someones church. I think it's ok if you are by yourself though.

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii View Post
    Which cemetery is that Bruce?
    Mt. Hope Cemetery, Rochester, NY

City of Rochester Cemeteries web site
    Friends of Mt. Hope
    Wikipedia

In short, it was opened in 1838, covers 196 acres, has 350,000 graves and 14 miles of roads. It borders the University of Rochester's River Campus on two sides, the University Medical Center on a third, and a city park on the fourth. I cut through the park, the cemetery, then through the campus on my way to work.

FWIW, I own a plot in the other city-owned cemetery, Riverside, but am thinking of trading it in for one in Mt. Hope. I'd be leaving the family, but it's a cemetery I like and that cyclists like.

Roll Model
    Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    That's why I was asking. My tool bag isn't big enough for a shovel or anything heavy...and I don't think my tire tools will be heavy enough to do any damage to their already rotting heads.
    Nunchucks fit nicely in jersey pocket!

I occasionally ride the local cemeteries and look for the oldest date then try to find my way back there the next time
    "Science has proven that if you have one flat on your bike, you will have another one, sooner or later. This is the reason that you should always buy a new bike when you get a flat." Mr Grumpy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    No, I don't see riding through a cemetery when there are no funeral services being held as being disrespectful. Remember, a grave is not just a resting place it's also a memorial of someone's life.
    There's nothing as sad as an old neglected, forgotten cemetery that's no longer being maintained or visited.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    another reason to where a helmet, to protect from Zombie attacks while riding through cemeteries!

but if I recall there was a crit series run in the Springvale cemetery in Melbourne, Australia a number of years ago. Nice ride quiet roads. I'm not sure how long it lasted or when they stopped

i have found a link to the results and a bit of a blurb on the race (sorry in advance if i brake the rules about links, I am not sure of them)

www.cyclingnews.com - the world centre of cycling
    Last edited by bob.satan; 02-21-2012 at 07:07 PM. Reason: addition of comment

Cat 6
    Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    Nope...just stay on the roads, and treat the grounds with the reverence it deserves.
    Agree. Riding through is not an issue. Racing a crit through the grounds.. not so much.

I ride in circles..
    They're dead.. they don't care.
    One thing to ride thought.. Another to be hucking tombstones on your mountain bike..
    I don't think doing your interval training there is wise either... Someone might complain.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

xxl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    This place is one of my favorite places to ride to:

Welcome to the Spring Grove Family

It's the second-largest cemetery in the nation, with an arboretum. By no means would I consider it disrespectful to ride through it; it was envisioned from the git-go as a place where people could go to spend a day, remembering their dead, but also picnicking, relaxing, etc., in a much less somber manner.

The local foot racers hold annual charity runs (e.g., "Run Like Hell," a run that occurs Halloween night) in it from time to time.

Other nice shots here: Cemeteries

The cemetery dates to the 1840's, when Cincinnati suffered a cholera epidemic and needed a place to stash the bodies that were piling up. Then, the Civil War really ramped business up; there are forty Union generals buried there, including Fighting Joe Hooker, and one Confederate general, Phil Luckett, as well as regiments of regulars. From there, it became the place to be fashionably interred, its list of burials reading like the Cincinnati Social Register. A wealth of stonemason talent and available limestone and marble ensured that the monuments there would be, well, monumental:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoSoSwiM View Post
    They're dead.. they don't care.
    I don't think the dead care one bit. I would just be concerned about disturbing anyone who needs some peace and quiet. There are lots of places one can get their training ride done. There is only one place someone can visit a deceased relative or friend.

So I wouldn't have a problem riding through it at an easy pace if it was on my route or in my way, but I don't think I'd make it a destination or treat it like a park to get a workout done. Unless it were one of those cool old cemeteries like in some of the pictures, which look fun to explore on a bike.
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

'11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    I happened to ride through a cemetery today. I saw 4 people walking their dogs. I suspect the dogs did things to the graves that I didn't do.
    Wait for me at the top

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    Is the cemetary full of dead-dead people? Or undead-dead people?
    uh both and we are the "walking dead"

Here in Toronto we have an uptown cemetery which gets treated a lot like a park.
    When I visit there are usually riders and runners using the grounds. Mind you it is huge and stretches across a couple major streets both north and south.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brucew View Post
    Mt. Hope Cemetery, Rochester, NY

City of Rochester Cemeteries web site
    Friends of Mt. Hope
    Wikipedia

In short, it was opened in 1838, covers 196 acres, has 350,000 graves and 14 miles of roads. It borders the University of Rochester's River Campus on two sides, the University Medical Center on a third, and a city park on the fourth. I cut through the park, the cemetery, then through the campus on my way to work.

FWIW, I own a plot in the other city-owned cemetery, Riverside, but am thinking of trading it in for one in Mt. Hope. I'd be leaving the family, but it's a cemetery I like and that cyclists like.
    That looks like an awesome place to ride, and I love the photos Bruce!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    I personally wouldn't. I don't really know why but it just doesn't seem right...TO ME. I don't have a problem with anyone else doing it. I wouldn't mind if someone rode through when I'm 6 feet under. I just wouldn't feel comfortable doing it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12