View Poll Results: Disprectful to ride through a cemetery?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, very disrespectful

5 3.62%
  • Should be avoided

16 11.59%
  • No, not disrespectful

109 78.99%
  • Great places to train

8 5.80%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Disrepectful to ride through a cemetery?

Didn't find anything in a search so here goes. I have no special story, just wondering the other day on a ride what the consensus was. Is it disrespectful to ride through a cemetery? I'm talking more about the big ones with a few miles of roads, not really the small rural ones.

.·*°¤`*·.·*´¤°*·.·*°¤`*·.
    Not IMO. They are a nice safe place to ride if you ask me. Maybe avoid an area if there's a funeral going on but outside of that I see nothing wrong with visiting the dead peoples once in awhile.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Nope...just stay on the roads, and treat the grounds with the reverence it deserves.
    formerly "backinthesaddle"

Strava is Latin for 'bench-racing"

Back from the dead
    I don't think it's a big deal if it's just you and you are just passing through. Don't bother anyone and don't turn it into a playground and do fast loops and hill repeats and so forth. And I wouldn't go through in a large group either. That's probably a bit much.

Just Plain Bitter
    Heck in L.A we have guided tours and movie parties in them. Might as well ride through them also! I don't the dead people will mind at all. Like most have said be respectful and there shouldn't be any issues. Most of the big ones here have security guards and gates at the front entrance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

Slightly Opinionated
    Why would it be? I used to ride through a cemetery to visit my grandfather's grave on occasion. Nobody ever said anything about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    I go through the oldest cemetery in town on one of my favorite commuting routes.

I like it because it's a low-traffic bypass around some of the busiest road around, the hills were never graded so I can get some nice double-digit climbs in, and the newer section is broad and flat for higher speed and cadence work.

The one drawback is that it's full of joggers and dog walkers, so I have to careful of them.

No, the other drawback is that I have to watch the time on my commute home so that I'm not locked in when they close the gates. The one time it happened, I fortunately was on my unpainted Ti bike, so there wasn't any damage from hanging it from the iron spikes on the top of the gate while I clamored over.

I particularly like the cobbles this time of year when I channel my inner hardman in anticipation of the spring cobbled classics. It's pavé, every day!

The old chapel and crematory, just inside the north gate.

One of my favorite cobbled climbs

More cobbles.

Slightly Opinionated
    Which cemetery is that Bruce?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Wow, that is a cool place.

No, I don't think it is disrespectful to ride through a cemetery. I don't know about doing time-trial laps in one, though, mostly out of respect for others who may be in need of peace and quiet.
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

'11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Don't know why you would, unless you have someone to visit there. It's not a park or a bike trail. Certain cemetaries designated as historical sites might be an exception. But then, you'd probably be getting off to check it out stone by stone. In any case, you'd certainly want to keep your speed down. Somehow, hammering through a cemetary, 'cause it's a nice quiet safe place to train, doesn't seem like the right thing to do.
    It ain't rocket surgery. Buy everything on sale, pedal when you have too, coast when you can, and get home in one piece. Keep going forward - there is no reverse.

OGWB

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Nice bruce . . . another benefit for us Ti bike owners (someone can add to the thousands of carbon vs Ti threads). Thanks for the responses. Granted, we are all cyclists here. There may be some non-cyclists out there who disagree, but its not really their opinions that matter to me. I didn't want to be the guy giving us all a bad name.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    There's an example of a place that seems to have been embraced by the community as more park and historical site than cemetery. I can see myself riding through that one. Not so much our local "Forest Lawn".

On a side note...what do you do if you're riding through a cemetery and come on to a burial service in progress? Turn around? Cycle slowly past? Get off and walk past? Join the bereaved, while apologizing for all the bright colors and spandex.
    It ain't rocket surgery. Buy everything on sale, pedal when you have too, coast when you can, and get home in one piece. Keep going forward - there is no reverse.

OGWB

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    I've used them as a short cut before but only if I'm "dead" tired and don't feel like going around.

waterproof*
    I use one nearby as a low-traffic bypass, quite frequently. Avoiding funerals, of course. I wave at the grounds crews, they wave back. Gates are open, visitors welcome, and I just pass through anyway.

Related topic: "back in the day" before public parks were common, cemeteries were the place that urban people went to enjoy the outdoors - because, they were the only open, green spaces around. I've read that funeral homes would have open houses, host festivals, all sorts of fun times (good for business, etc, too).

I've often thought that some cemeteries would make for really fun race courses... free publicity for the owners... but of course we have this social taboo to overcome.
    * not actually a Rock Star

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    In st Paul's Cathedral, in London UK, there is a cafe in what's called the catacombs (it's not that hard to find, but sounds cool). I found out one day the cafe is built on the top of 4 or 5 layers of bodies that have been buried there since the Cathedral was first built (i.e. the first one, not the current one).

If the church can build a cafe on top of a bunch of graves, I'm not sure that cycling through a cemetery is such a big deal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    I've ridden to my dad's grave site before, I don't feel it's disrespectful at all as long as I'm not laying my bike on top of someone else's site.

On the other hand, people with loud fart can subies and ridiculously loud harleys are pretty disrespectful in a cemetary (or anywhere for that matter).

WTF = Wide Tire Fits
    Jan 2012
    No, they're all dead.

It's not disrespectful if you JRA.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    Nope...just stay on the roads, and treat the grounds with the reverence it deserves.
    This^^^

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimme Shoulder View Post
    On a side note...what do you do if you're riding through a cemetery and come on to a burial service in progress? Turn around? Cycle slowly past? Get off and walk past? Join the bereaved, while apologizing for all the bright colors and spandex.
    This, actually, is a pretty good question. I would dismount. walk to a discrete distance away from the ceremony and say a quiet prayer for the deceased....walk away to a point where I can no longer be seen, then continue my ride, all while being as quiet as i can.

Cheers,

Brian J.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There's an example of a place that seems to have been embraced by the community as more park and historical site than cemetery. I can see myself riding through that one. Not so much our local "Forest Lawn".

If you were in your car and there was room to drive around the service, would you drive around? If so, why not ride your bike around.

I'm Gumby, Damnit!
    Is the cemetary full of dead-dead people? Or undead-dead people?
    Does this saddle make my azz look fat?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    For me it's not about respect for the dead. Rather, respect for loved ones visiting. Regardless of what I may think or believe, I want to respect their beliefs, and their quiet time with their departed loved one. I'd rather not be a distraction. Cars are expected, and probably not noticed too much. Probably assumed to be other mourners/visitors. Unless the place is frequented by cyclists, I guess I would consider myself a distraction or intrusion. The question was sort of tongue in cheek, but I guess if I ran into a service, I'd discretely turn around.

OGWB

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Don't disturb them to a point that the dead rise up and take revenge by eating your flesh.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

RoadBikeReview Member
    For me it's not about respect for the dead. Rather, respect for loved ones visiting. Regardless of what I may think or believe, I want to respect their beliefs, and their quiet time with their departed loved one. I'd rather not be a distraction. Cars are expected, and probably not noticed too much. Probably assumed to be other mourners/visitors. Unless the place is frequented by cyclists, I guess I would consider myself a distraction or intrusion.
    ^this^

I don't care about the dead - they're dead. As an atheist, I'm surprised I'm in the minority on this topic - I don't think a cemetery should be a place to go for a bike ride. Out of respect for the mourning, I'd rather take my chances out on the streets... even if means I could end up IN the cemetery sooner. The mourners didn't bury their loved ones in your playground. Don't play in their graveyard.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    Is the cemetary full of dead-dead people? Or undead-dead people?
    If they're the undead it'd probably be wise to be carrying a shovel or some such club-like implement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast