RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

Distant cracking noise when pedaling

I've got a new bike with campy record and press fit bb. About 2200 mi on the bike and there is a snap/ crack sound when pedaling hard. I thought it was my seat but doesn't appear so. I pulled cranks and noticed non drive side was hard to pull out and bearing was discolored. See pic. It spins fine and smooth. Drive side bearing very shiny. Is the non drive bearing toast?Distant cracking noise when pedaling-img_20180909_112331.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    It looks more like a Bagel to me but hard to tell in pic.
    Oh my, a troll who doesn't know the difference between your and you're. What will they think of next?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KleinMan View Post
    I've got a new bike with campy record and press fit bb. About 2200 mi on the bike and there is a snap/ crack sound when pedaling hard. I thought it was my seat but doesn't appear so. I pulled cranks and noticed non drive side was hard to pull out and bearing was discolored. See pic. It spins fine and smooth. Drive side bearing very shiny. Is the non drive bearing toast?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180909_112331.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	323602
    Yep. Sure looks like it. The surface should be shiny, like on the drive side, and then it wouldn't creak--if the new bearing press fits into place cleanly, that is.

What's that smudge, carbon detritus?
    Last edited by Fredrico; 09-09-2018 at 03:35 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Are you using a press fit adapter with the Ultra Torque crank, and is the white washer next to the wavy washer needed with the adapter and is there one on the other side? Is that rust or dirty grease on the bearing and how does the bearing feel when spun? What does the bearing contact surface of the bracket look like.

If that's rust that formed between the contact surfaces I would think that the bearing is too loose in the bracket. I ask about the white washer because my Ultra Torque, mounted in a threaded bracket, just have the wavy washer.

It's easy enough to change the bearings, but if the problem is in the BB housing new bearings won't fix that.

P.S.
    "Components, Wrenching" would be the place to post this. There's a better mechanic than myself who would ask that of you.

Well, ask may not be the right word.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    The white washer is from the bb and came out when I pulled on crank arm. There is one on other side as well. It goes back in easily. I did ride in one heavy rainstorm earlier this season. It's definitely corroded but spins fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The white washer is from the bb and came out when I pulled on crank arm. There is one on other side as well. It goes back in easily. I did ride in one heavy rainstorm earlier this season. It's definitely corroded but spins fine.

I'd inspect the fitment of bearings in the housing. If an adapter I'd remove and have a close look. Maybe with the adapter in your hand you'll be able to install the crank and bearing and see any poor fit or feel any tightness or slop.

If all looked right I'd probably clean everything up and put it back together and see if there's any change. If the bike is new and bought at an LBS, talk to them.
    Too old to ride plastic

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post

P.S.
    "Components, Wrenching" would be the place to post this. There's a better mechanic than myself who would ask that of you.

Well, ask may not be the right word.
    You talkin' about me?

Definitely odd to have corrosion like that so soon, but I guess if there's no grease in the cups it can happen quickly. If the bearings are still smooth grease the crap out of the cups and put it all back together.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    You talkin' about me?

Definitely odd to have corrosion like that so soon, but I guess if there's no grease in the cups it can happen quickly. If the bearings are still smooth grease the crap out of the cups and put it all back together.
    I don't wanna be castin' no aspersions.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Is a silicone based grease ok?
    You talkin' about me?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    You talkin' about me?

Seconded

RoadBikeReview Member
    Is a silicone based grease ok?

Yes. Silicone is where it's at.