Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Do I look overstretched on this Motobecane?

20K views 39 replies 23 participants last post by  GarzaAlfredo 
#1 ·
Hi

I'd like the input of you people.
I bought a 60cm Motobecane Super Strada 3 months ago, the bike feels good but I feel I'm overstretching while on the hoods, take a look at this pictures to help you judge.

Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel
Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel

My height is 1.85m, almost 6'1", I chose the 60cm frame just to not be so low, but it seems the same effect is present when using a frame too big.
I haven't changed the stem, it's a Ritchey 80 mm.

Thanks

See less See more
#4 ·
There is always an adjustment period when you're new to a road bike geometry, especially a more aggressive style like that Motobecane. Here is the thing, though: If you want to get a more relaxed fit, there is only so much you can move your saddle forward and only so much shorter of a stem you can buy. At 80mm you'll probably have somewhat twitchy steering. Buying a shorter stem will only exacerbate that.

#5 ·
Dont move the saddle to adjust reach. Saddle position puts you over the crank properly. Thats it.
I agree, too short a stem may have a negative effect on handeling.
To the OP,
If you are not sore in your sholders and arms keep on keepin on. You dont look too stretched. As your core strength improves your feeling of stretch may change.

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies so far.
I will adjust the hood levers to be a little bit upwards in the Bioxmax handlebars, it's that after I readjusted them to be lower that's when I started feeling this 'overstretch' feeling.
I will keep the stem as suggested. A shame I didn't go to a smaller frame.

#8 · (Edited)
I don't think you need a smaller frame set. The length looks okay, and the head tube is nice and high at 21 cm according to the geometry chart. Very relaxed in proportion to top tube length.

So, have you had a professional bike fit? If not, I'd suggest you get one.

Can you relax your elbows and shoulders a little?

It's hard to see the stem, but that looks a lot longer than 80 cm's to me. Looks over 100. Maybe even something like 120, just based on proportions of everything surrounding it. And if you haven't changed it, I find it hard to believe a large bike would come with an 80 cm stem. I think even tiny bikes smallest stock stems are around 90.

#12 ·
It's hard to see the stem, but that looks a lot longer than 80 cm's to me. Looks over 100. Maybe even something like 120, just based on proportions of everything surrounding it. And if you haven't changed it, I find it hard to believe a large bike would come with an 80 cm stem. I think even tiny bikes smallest stock stems are around 90.
My first thought as well. I would expect a 110-120 stem on a bike that size.

You don't look super stretched out or anything. Road bikes can just take a while to get used to. A pro fit might help you a lot, though, and a little more time to get used to things will probably help as well.

#9 ·
Looks like the bike fits you well. You just need to get used the riding position. If your cycling fitness is still low, pedaling in the easy gears all the time will make you feel too stretched out. I find myself riding lower and flatter as my fitness improves. In the winter I sit more upright riding the easy gears.

#10 ·
Looks fine to me, too. If anything, you seem to be sitting fairly far back on your saddle, so you could move forward a little without changing anything about the setup of the bike, but (a) my impression may be wrong, and (b) if that's how you feel comfortable on this saddle, then there's no need to try and make adjustments.

#14 · (Edited)
Did you ever use the plumb bob method to position your knees over the spindle of the pedals? Could be the saddle is too far back, too. Can't tell from the pic, though. This will also be affected by cleat fore and aft position, and amount of offset in the seat post. Knee position needs to be correct before adjusting the stem. Rotating the bars is not the right way to fix it.

It wouldn't hurt to read this page on bike fitting. But I don't suggest you do it yourself, just good to have the information.
BikeFit - Road Bikes

#32 ·
Did you ever use the plumb bob method to position your knees over the spindle of the pedals? Could be the saddle is too far back, too.
Knee over pedal spindle works for some but it not the best way to judge correct positioning in terms of maximum pedaling efficiency. You need to have your center of gravity just in front of the bottom bracket (technically, equidistant between the hubs). When adjusting stem length, keep your center of gravity in the roughly the same place when standing. Adjust your bar height as necessary to reduce fatigue on the arms and upper body but try not to shift your center of gravity. But first get you seat high position right. A good fit will get you there but stay away from anyone that rely solely on formulas or plumb bob.

#18 ·
Hi

I bought a 60cm Motobecane Super Strada 3 months ago, the bike feels good but I feel I'm overstretching while on the hoods, take a look at this pictures to help you judge.

View attachment 297830 View attachment 297831

My height is 1.85m, almost 6'1", I chose the 60cm frame just to not be so low, but it seems the same effect is present when using a frame too big.

Thanks

Hard to tell but your arms seem to stretch out a bit (but it could be just the angle in the picture). Nothing wrong with that sort of set-up though.

1. Flip the stem upside down

or

2. Use the spacer on your top cap and place it underneath the stem and see if that will make any noticeable difference.

It is hard to tell from the pictures your fore/aft saddle position.

Anyway a 80mm stem is already an indication that something is wrong here.

#20 ·
Hi

Thanks
Yeah, I guess you seem a bit overstretched to be honest. Not a lot though.

#22 ·
same here. Arms I thought when on the hoods should be around 90 degree angle to the body. But if you are comfortable on a long ride then maybe not, everyone is different. You do look way back on the saddle to me as someone mentioned. Did you match your fit on that bike to another one or have a fit done on it?

#30 ·
Looks like you are too rounded in your back. Rock your hips forward a bit so your back is flat.
First thing I noticed. Could solve a lot.

#28 ·
Hi guys

Sorry I forgot to check back on the replies!!

Definitely the bike is bigger to my size, I again rode it for 115km and I have to 'try' to reach the hoods and it's harder to go faster than on my old hybrid which had a rather short top tube at around 53cm.

Also, my bad at posting the bike had a stem of 80mm, it definitely is 110mm. But I don't think changing it would make a difference, the top tube length is just too high!
I feel my arms definitely stretched.
The comment about my back rounded I've noticed to also, so that could be because the seat is too back. To answer the question about the saddle position, no, I didn't copy the saddle offset from a previous road bike and I also haven't done the knee ball cap positioning.

I'm really confused about bike sizing, per this page:
Road Bike Size Calculator

I'm 6'0" or 1.85m, leg length approx 32", it states my frame size should be 55cm or 22", so definitely I bought a way to big bike! Disappointing after all the hassle of getting it from the US to MX.

@deviate:
I haven't done a review, but the componentry of this bike is good, no complaints except that maybe it's not like a feather weight bike, but your main concern should be to get your correct size frame, or else you would wind up like myself.

I'm thinking of selling the bike, hopefully, or maybe buy a 56cm Carbon frame from Motobecane.

After all, the overstretching makes me don't want to ride the bike as often.

P.S. Thanks for the BikeFit URL, will take a look at it.

#29 ·
I'm really confused about bike sizing, per this page:
Road Bike Size Calculator

I'm 6'0" or 1.85m, leg length approx 32", it states my frame size should be 55cm or 22", so definitely I bought a way to big bike! Disappointing after all the hassle of getting it from the US to MX.
Generally speaking: bike size calculators are rubbish. I have not checked it but it seems your bike size calculator follows your inseam length.

Are you sure your 32" inseam lenght is correct? I am 179.5cm and have a inseam lenght of about 32-33" (my frame size is 56 cm which in most cases means: 56 cm top-tube lenght and 15-16 cm; head tube lenght; and a 10-11cm stem).

You must have an ultra long upper body?

#31 ·
@dracula.
I just measured my inseam with a book crammed against my crotch and the measure is 86cm which is 33.85"

Based on that, I'm inclined to buy a Bianchi Via Nirone 7 with Claris then swap all the components of my Moto to that bike, I then think a 57cm frame is the way to go, ETT length is 56cm, but I will buy it from a LBS, so if the frame does not fit I may change it to the appropiate size.

What do you think?

#33 ·
Here's an idea.

1. Sell the bike as planned.

2. Go to your LBS and get fitted to the right frame size.

3. Test ride several models and choose the one that you feel is the best for you. This will help you avoid wasting your money on a bike off the internet which you can't ride and take a S.W.A.G. (scientific wild ass guess) for the size.

4. You can probably find some good deals on 2013 and 2014 models this time of year.

5. By purchasing from your LBS, you will have their full support, a wealth of wisdom there waiting to help you, and not to mention, free adjustments and tuneups. What a novel idea!!

#34 ·
adjtogo.

Thanks for the idea.
You're right about the LBS fitting, however since my Motobecane has the newest Ultegra 11 speed, I was planning on getting the bike fitted first and then swap the parts. Hopefully they have some frame sizes to try on, so this week I will check on that.

If I sell first the Moto I will lose my 11-32 cassete an Ultegra 6800 shifters, that why I was keen on replacing the parts once I have the right frame.

#35 ·
Absolutely nothing wrong with going to a LBS and riding a few different model bikes, picking out the one that fits you best, and buying the frame only and switching over the parts. I'm with you on that. I too, have the Ultegra 6800 and love it!! So, go ride a bit, take your time, find a frame size and geometry that you like, and buy locally.

#38 ·
I finally took the decision to order a Bianchi Via Nirone 55cm frame.
I test rode the same size on the Tiagra model and what a difference, no more stretching.
After all the store guarantees that if I don't like the size they can swap to either size I want, so that's a plus.

Definitely recommended to buy from an LBS!
As for the Moto, I think it will be hard to sell with the Claris components, so I think I'll leave it as it is, I don't need Ultegra as I don't race, also have read numerous good reviews about Claris.
So hopefully I get the bike soon.

Here's how the bike seat post height would look like (The bike I test rode)

View attachment 299262

Only the bike will be white.

#40 ·
Well, I ordered the Claris equipped model.

I'm started to wonder if the 55cm was the right frame for me, initially when I tested it felt OK, but it's not the same riding it for a couple of minutes against doing a metric century.
Does the seat post tube look a lot higher to what is the "standard"?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.