Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012

Do you ride on Mother's Day....

Or do you suck it up and stay home with the misses? The temptation to go out on a long ride is overwhelmingly strong but I know better. I'm staying home.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am the mummy, I ride and make the rest of them bring me a picnic somewhere. Maybe the missus will ride?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Why is it a to spend the day with the mother of your children? Is riding that important to you? My kids are grown and out of the house now, so it's not an issue helping them celebrate their mother. And my mom is thousands of miles away so a phone call, some flowers and candy are all she gets these days.

Oh, and if you don't have kids, it's not a holiday in your house. (my wife regularly points out she's not my mother.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If I'm lucky enough to ride, it will be a 40km ITT. If the weather is crap or time is more limited, I'll do an hour interval in the basement. Happy wife=happy life.

I could tell my mom and wife that racing comes first, but I'd prefer not having to talk to divorce lawyers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm the missus too, but I'm taking my mom out for brunch.

But I do like the idea of a ride and having hubby bring me a picnic
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    What are you guys talking about? Everyday is mothers day.

Oh and I'm riding. Early.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    My mother has passed away, so has my mother in law. My wife is not my mother. The best gift I could possibly give my wife is riding all Saturday and Sunday morning.
    With people like Peter P. around, I am done posting on this website. Mean people have driven me off after 9 plus years. Good luck newbies beware.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    I rode a 72 mile loop around lake tahoe last year, I had to start at 5:30, it was 33F..
    to make it back for brunch, I had to ride it like a TT (not acclimated to altitude ..) But it was pretty epic.

Dr. Buzz Killington
    The only female with whom I live is spayed and has never given birth to kittens, so I'll be riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes, in the Morning and then I will go place flowers on my Mother's and GrandMother's Graves. Will call the EX and wish her a happy Mother's Day...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Weather permitting I will do a 40 miler, then help her plant flowers in the afternoon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
    Why is it a to spend the day with the mother of your children? Is riding that important to you? My kids are grown and out of the house now, so it's not an issue helping them celebrate their mother. And my mom is thousands of miles away so a phone call, some flowers and candy are all she gets these days.

Oh, and if you don't have kids, it's not a holiday in your house. (my wife regularly points out she's not my mother.
    Of course riding is that important to me. I just know my priorities and I will be staying home and cooking her a nice breakfast as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    How about both?

I adore my wife and daughter...and I'll be spending the morning with them both.

Then, ill put my daughter down for a nap at noon, kiss my wife on the cheek and go out on a good ride (no insane distance but a ride nonetheless).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yep, I'll go out for a ride with a stop at my Mothers and another stop at my Mother in laws.

My Mother knows how much cycling benefits my health and it makes her happy when I can incorporate her into my rides.
    In fact last season she was involved in an accident that left her with a broken hip, and she spent a coupla/few months in a nursing home getting rehabilitation. She would just light up when I stopped for a visit when I was out for a ride.
    Eighty four years and she's walking again. She makes me proud.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, my mom is no longer alive, and I'm on my second marriage, so my wife isn't the mother of my kids. Her daughter is in Vietnam, and her son is in Finland. My wife also rides, so we'll probably ride together.

I'm not about to wish the ex a happy Mother's Day.

Winner!
    Jan 2012
    Stating home, banana pancakes in bed for the misses

Master debator.
    A good mother would understand if her son wants to go for a ride for a few hours instead of staying home all day with her. A holiday like this means nothing if you treat your mother well all year round. The idea that you have to sit at home and entertain her all day is just ludicrous.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007

Re: Do you ride on Mother's Day....

Absolutely... I did a century on my wife's birthday and plan to do at least 60 on Sunday. I guess I will take the baby maker to brunch afterwards for some bloodymarys.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    I just had this conversation with my wife this morning. Mothers Day usually involves breakfast in bed for my wife and gifts from the kids, etc. I was given the green light to do my usual 3 hour Sunday ride after the morning festivities. The rest of the day I'll be at home and my Mom and Mother-in-law will join us for dinner.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Crab Balls View Post
    Or do you suck it up and stay home with the misses? The temptation to go out on a long ride is overwhelmingly strong but I know better. I'm staying home.
    Anything that qualifies as a "Hallmark Card Holiday" doesn't count. It was a nice idea started in 1908 here in the U.S., but is now just a continuing commercialization. Ditto on Father's Day.

Plenty of other "real holidays" to celebrate and hold in higher esteem.

downhill quickly
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Crab Balls View Post
    Wow...when you head out from the cave for a ride, do you attached the club to the down tube? PM me, I've give you directions to a group ride on Mother's day with some Mom's there who'll have you crawling back into the cave...man.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    My wife has asked for the family to ride the local greenline, stop for our favorite pizza, and hang out. I get to ride (albeit, a bit slower than desired) and get brownie points for that race weekend in June.
    Quote Originally Posted by uzziefly
    One word : wtf??
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson
    That's three.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    I ride for 2 reasons.

1) My wife is not my mom.
    2) She runs a marathon every year on Father's day so I figure I get a free pass.
    2009 Specialized S-Works Carbon Tricoss
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 4
    Gary Fisher Tassahara

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Mom's gone but my wife rides, so I imagine we will do somewhere between 40 and 60 miles Sunday...dependent upon the lenght and amount of climbing we do Saturday. I will think about my Mom while riding and I'm sure my wife will think of hers as well (also passed on).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    No, on Mother's Day the bike is completely off limits... I do not even go near it as the penalty for so much as touching it is severe...

*awkward silence*

*more awkward silence*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast