Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009

"Do you think this is a f***in' bike trail?" or "I need a new jersey"

This morning while riding to work on the right side of the very wide far right lane on a not too busy road with 3 lanes going both directions, a citizen who was very concerned with my safety wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing and wasn't going to hurt myself. He shouted out the window "Do you think this is a f***in' bike trail?" as he passed me in the turn lane on the right to get on the freeway.

This got me thinking as to what my response to this should be, basically something like "Call the cops". But that got me to thinking I should make it easy on myself and just get a jersey that says everything I need it to.

Is anybody aware of any jersey out there that says something to the effect of "CALL THE COPS if you think this isn't the bike trail"? Maybe lots of bright red and blue coloring on it...

RoadBikeReview Member
    A year ago or so there was a website with a product called cat-claw or or something like that. It was a spring loaded 2.99 foot claw with razorblades at the end which one installs on their seat post. I think that same store also sold the "keep left 3 feet, it's the law!" jersies... brilliant. I can't find it anymore. Strangely enough, I can't even find cached photos of this... I linked on FB one time... so I know this existed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Man. Some of you "cyclist" are really wound tight. I guess I have so many more pressing things to worry about that these minor altercations mean virtually zero to me. The world is full of bitter, pissed off, ignorant people. Don't let them change you into one of them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Everybody needs new jerseys on occasion, I may as well get one that might make a motorist think for a second before they yell. Seems you are a bit "wound tight" and need to go for a bike ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tom93r1 View Post
    Everybody needs new jerseys on occasion, I may as well get one that might make a motorist think for a second before they yell. Seems you are a bit "wound tight" and need to go for a bike ride.
    I ride a ton in traffic. If I posted every time a driver yelled, etc...I'd be posting every other day. I guess I've learned the best way to deal with it is to not get worked up. I do agree everyone needs a new jersey on occasion but, I really think having a jersey with 'CALL THE COPS" on the back will draw more of the kind of attention you are trying to avoid. JMO

Fecal indicator
    This got me thinking as to what my response to this should be, basically something like "Call the cops". But that got me to thinking I should make it easy on myself and just get a jersey that says everything I need it to.

Is anybody aware of any jersey out there that says something to the effect of "CALL THE COPS if you think this isn't the bike trail"? Maybe lots of bright red and blue coloring on it...

a less-than-brilliant solution to a totally trivial incident.

you don't need a new jersey, you need thicker skin...
    Last edited by Oxtox; 07-17-2013 at 11:24 AM.
    eff all y'all...

RoadBikeReview Member
    In my experience, many people are simply ignorant and unaware of the laws and rights of cyclists. Some advocacy money spent on education and awareness initiatives would go a long way in helping dispel some of these common misapprehensions.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Let me guess----first time this ever happened to you?

Get used to it. Won't be the last.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I give them my one finger salute.Locked and loaded,lol

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would say "Smile so I can take your picture and get your plate number!!!!" then call a friendly officer. Not that calling a officer would do any good any more!!

But funny story from the bike trail the other night. I just got done putting down some pretty intense miles on the road and just got on a short section of the bike trail. I wasn't totally winded but dry mouth, cooling down and not a person around coming at me except a older lady in front of me going the same direction. Now the trail is as wide as one lane of traffic. So I go totally on the left side and like I said I was going slow and after I get 5 feet past her she yells at me "ON YOUR LEFT!!" in a old Bitty voice. All I had in me at that point was "YOU BET!!!". So we can't win at any cost!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    ignore it and move on.

You are on a bike, they are in a car. People do really stupid things. Especially in this day and age, kids with guns etc etc. Remember a car can be used as a weapon to.

Yes you know your laws, but being a prick or whatever can cause you your life. There are other pressing things to worry about.

Yea that's right.
    Not as good as jerk store.

RoadBikeReview Member

Funniest. Post. Never.
    "It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yet another reason to wear noise cancelling head-phones while riding

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011

RoadBikeReview Member
    does it look like our atmosphere is lacking hot air?
    * 1977 Motobecane Super Mirage (fixed) * 60th anniversary Schwinn Paramount (Chorus/Centaur 10 speed) * 2002 Trek 520 (ShimErgo Athena 11 driving 9spd LX/105) * 2005 Kona Dew Deluxe * 2008 Gary Fisher Piranha * 2011 Focus Maleta *

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekless1 View Post
    Not as good as jerk store.
    Well played Sir, well played

RoadBikeReview Member
    How about this jersey?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013

Quote Originally Posted by lazybean View Post
    Oh man. Totally wish I had the balls to wear this.

RoadBikeReview Member

My jersey says

Sponsored by Smith&Wesson

have droids, will party
    My jersey just has my team sponsers on it...

I think people neeed to stop getting agitated about bad drivers and jerk offs. You'll never stop them from thinking they're the center of the universe and their time is way more valuble than yours. Two days ago a GMC dualie laid on the horn and blasted me and a friend of mine and there was an old guy at the wheel making a nasty face and shaking his fist. I don't think I've ever seen someone shake their fist (as in a "get off my lawn you kids!" type of fist shake) in that manner that wasn't trying to be funny. I cracked up.... Sometimes you have to laugh at these people because it's so sad that they're so bent out of shape it's funny.

I really wouldn't wear anything that might provoke these kinds of morons. Just know your rights and if someone actually causes injury or property damage, then file a report. Other than that, don't feed the wildlife.

Cyclist
    Reminds me of Abe.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    But funny story from the bike trail the other night. I just got done putting down some pretty intense miles on the road and just got on a short section of the bike trail. I wasn't totally winded but dry mouth, cooling down and not a person around coming at me except a older lady in front of me going the same direction. Now the trail is as wide as one lane of traffic. So I go totally on the left side and like I said I was going slow and after I get 5 feet past her she yells at me "ON YOUR LEFT!!" in a old Bitty voice. All I had in me at that point was "YOU BET!!!". So we can't win at any cost!!
    Similar, on the trail going to work at 6:15am, a pass a guy jogging (mostly fast walking) and I was way left of him. I didnt say anything because when I do say something people jump or are using ear buds and cant hear anyway. He yelled at me, I lifted my arm to say my bad and he kept yelling. People are angry I get that, but whats the MUT ettiquette, should you yell out everytime you pass someone or should everyone on a MUT have a understanding that other folks are using the trail?

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Wave, smile an say "Buongiorno"
    Chances are they will give you a real puzzled looked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast