Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005

Do you use bandana, due rag, skull cap?

Do you use bandana, due rag, skull cap on top of your head?

What is the purpose of these, to keep the sweat out of your eyes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Bandana, year round. A bit warmer in the winter and keeps the sweat to a minimum in the heat. With thinning hair it keeps vent hole sunburn off the scalp too!! Once you start you'll never go without. I also like it better with the helmet pads not being directly against the forehead but against the "rag". Give it a try.

RoadBikeReview Member

+1

like he said
    Your walk talks and your talk talks, but your walk talks louder than your talk talks

I coulda did that myself
    I shave my head so I use a Headsweats skull cap in Summer and UnderArmour Cold Gear skull cap in cooler weather. Like slitepd stated, they protect from sun, cold, and sweat in your eyes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    I was in sweat bands for years until I tried headsweats. Nothing compares, works in the summer and winter, wicks the moisture back to the "pony tail", good stuff.

Moderatus Puisne
    Cycling cap when it's rainy, skullcap when it's cooler, balaclava when it's cold.

My head doesn't really sweat, thankfully, so I don't need to keep it out of my eyes... I have a teammate who has to dump a pile of sweat out of his helmet at nature breaks on every ride in the summer... maybe HE should try headsweats.

bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrence

Usually, an Under Armour Skullcap.

Keeps the sunburn off the head.

Or headsweats: http://www.headsweats.com/about/

http://www.helmets.org/baldhead.htm

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Skull cap or Head Sweats. I'm bald, so I gotta have sumptin'.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Downhill Juggernaut
    I shave my head. In the wintertime I have a Pearl Izumi skull cap I wear. Spring and fall a cycling cap of thicker material. Summertime has a lightweight cycling cap. Keeps the sweat out of my eyes.
    If running were a person I would try to sabotage their life so that they were poor and drunk and living in the gutter pulling half smoked cigarettes from ashtrays in front of the Target. - Joe Daddio

Big is relative
    Headsweats skull cap most of the year here in Hawaii. Keeps the sweat out of my eyes plus an additional benefit, when I ride through the common swarms of gnats, it keeps them out of what is left of my hair. If it is raining hard, I wear a cycling cap with the top cut out. When I commuted in the cold it would vary. Sometimes I would wear a cycling cap combined with an ear wrap if it was wet and cold. If it was just cold, I would wear a thin knit cap that I got in a swag bag at a MTB race. The cap says "chevy trucks", I always got a kick out of that.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    winter I use a variety of skull caps depending on the weather. In the summer, nothing on the old noggin but the helmet...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes indeed! Everything slitespd said. Here are the ones I like, http://www.sweatvac.com/. When it gets extremely hot, I like to poor cool water on my head and then put on the skull cap, great air conditioning. Winter time I use a fleece skull cap.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use the ultra thin head bands when I have hair. If I shave my head, I don't worry about it, because it usually runs somewhere other than into my eyes. But when I have hair, the sweat seems to pool up and the moment I drop my head, it all pours out. I might try the under armour caps. They look functional.

Shirtcocker

to keep the sun off a bald head methinks.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've got a CoolMax skullcap that I wear in the Summer. It definitely helps keep sweat out of my eyes (which otherwise is a problem), but I'm not convinced it's the best solution for me. I might try some of the SweatVac or Halo products just to see if I can find something even more effective and/or comfortable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    I started off using the original coolmax Headsweats. Then I tried their Shorty version and have used nothing else since for spring/summer/fall rides. It's coolmax but does not have the ties in the back, only elastic.

In winter I use the skullcap version or a balaclava for really cold days.

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    I use the Do-Wrap shorty skull caps (I think I've got about a half dozen of them).

I'm not bald, though I do keep my hair very short. I wear the skullies because my head sweats a lot if I don't--so much so that I have to be careful late in a ride not to mess with my helmet, because compressing the front pads will release a torrent of concentrated, battery acid-like sweat into my eyes. And my straps are caked with sweat salt after a single ride.

With the skull caps, there's no sweat buildup except on the very hottest days. That means my helmet pads last a lot longer, and my straps don't start to stink (though I do still clean them after every ride if I have a chance), and I no longer burn my eyes out with acid by accident.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    There are bandanas with a short and long tail. Is the longer tail necessary to wick the water away or do you buy the design on them that you like and not pay any attention to the tail?

What about the biking caps? Are they suppose to be worn under the helmet? Or just alone when you are walking around? They have a bill on the front and I thought this would interfere with the helmet or your sunglasses.

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    There are bandanas with a short and long tail. Is the longer tail necessary to wick the water away or do you buy the design on them that you like and not pay any attention to the tail?

What about the biking caps? Are they suppose to be worn under the helmet? Or just alone when you are walking around? They have a bill on the front and I thought this would interfere with the helmet or your sunglasses.
    My do-wrap thingies don't have a tail at all. I'd say get what you like--the evaporation all seems to happen under the helmet in the airflow anyway.

The biking caps (called casquettes (sp?) in French) date back to when hardly any helmets were available. So the design doesn't really account for a helmet. The custom seems to be to wear the visor turned up, whether you wear it facing forward or backward. That said, there are plenty of riders who DO wear them under helmets. Seems like some guys like them when it's a little cold, others wear them when it's rainy (so they can put the visor down to keep water out of their eyes?).

In my experience, these are a poor substitute for the more technical coolmax bandanas and skullies. They're cotton so they tend to get soggy rather than evaporating the water, leaving you with a big reservoir of sweat on your head and not much else. And of course when they're new they're not all that absorbent--kinda stiff.

And wearing those just for walking around will make you look like a goober IMO. I keep a couple for wearing after a group ride, or for when I'm working on bikes in the garage (makes me feel official), but I can't see myself just walking around town in one.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

Alien Musician

Exclamation Yeah

Have to wear one since I'm mostly hairless and the helmet vents cause a hell
    of a sunburn - looks like Darth Maul's face if I don't wear a headsweat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use Santini's do-rag. I have hair but it's kept short for military reasons. The do-rag is to keep sweat off the eyes. It's a lot less bulky than headbands which look so 70's.

RoadBikeReview Member
    naw, i don't bother with one...
    Colorado has pretty dry air and my helmet vents really well.
    on the hot days i get sweat in the glasses but it doesn't take but a moment to wipe it out
    gotten good at just pulling my helmet tight onto my head squeezing the helmet pads dry. Guess it really doesn't bother me. Often by the end of a hot Crit my glasses will be a mess but i can see all i need to.
    I'd try one but then would need a looser helmet so it'd fit.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by aliensporebomb
    Have to wear one since I'm mostly hairless and the helmet vents cause a hell
    of a sunburn - looks like Darth Maul's face if I don't wear a headsweat.
    Me too. I forgot to take one on a century a couple of years ago, and I got "striped" real good.
    Don't believe everything you think.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff in Texas
    Yes indeed! Everything slitespd said. Here are the ones I like, http://www.sweatvac.com/. When it gets extremely hot, I like to poor cool water on my head and then put on the skull cap, great air conditioning. Winter time I use a fleece skull cap.
    Thanks for the link. They have some great looking products. I have been battling the burning sweat in the eyes thing every summer- so I ordered something from them to try. Free shipping too- nice.

We will see how it works, but it's worth a try.

Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

You Phillip mah census

A tenegui

I wear a beenie in winter for the shops and rides away from traffic on cycle paths. In summer I wear a tenegui-this is a square cotton cloth from Japan usually worn under a 'men'- the protective mask used in the Japanese martial art Kendo. They come in myriad colours and designs. I live in Tokyo so they are no problem to get hold of. The Japanese use them to wipe away sweat in the sauna bath summers over here. I fix mine up like a bandana then put on my helmet. My girlfriend took me into a rather posh tenegui supplier and I was amazed at the creativity of the designs. I have four at the moment and will probably get more.
    There ain't no sanity clause... (Chico Marx)

I accidentally..a burrito. (Old Fuji)

Norman Wisdom, Johnny, Joey, Dee Dee, good times... (Phil Oakey)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast