Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    waterproof*

Do you wave at other people when you are out cycling?

This guy does, I've seen him a few times. I always wave back. Seems like a nice guy.

White Rock Lake Weekly - MEET YOUR NEIGHBOR Musical cyclist sends salutary salute to lake lovers

* not actually a Rock Star

RoadBikeReview Member

... here's the thing...

... I'm too awesomely cool to actually wave at anyone, anytime, anywhere... however, I will note that I met three of my best cycling buds out on local trails. I'd always see them but we never spoke and perhaps gave a head nod at best. Then, over the course of time, I eventually found myself riding in the same direction and started a conversation... Had I waved, they'd a never spoken to me!!!

Nod is cool... wave, not as much.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aren't you one of the “Lance Armstrongs of the world” that he prefers to avoid?
    I ride mostly in the honorable pursuit of being kissed on both cheeks at the same time by one blond and one brunette. But not redheads, they scare me.

waterproof*
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonG View Post
    Aren't you one of the “Lance Armstrongs of the world” that he prefers to avoid?
    You callin me a doper?
    * not actually a Rock Star

A wheelist
    I wave to all other bike riders especially tri-geeks in their silly "praying mantis" pose. I use either the Judith Arndt "I'm #1" wave or the Cavendish "Reverse Winston Churchill" version, depending on my mood.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do you wave at other people when you are out cycling?-cav-wave.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

Big is relative
    What should I wave? I live in rural NE Texas, everyone waves, drivers, farmers out on their tractors, people in their yards, cops, etc. When I'm out riding in the countryside, I always wave at people. You never know when you'll have a flat or mechanical out in the middle of nowhere. Might as well be known as friendly. I ride with a local minister, he had a mechanical on our tuesday night ride that couldn't be fixed roadside. Four cars stopped to see if they could help.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    I only wave at people not wearing a helmet because people wearing helmets are fear mongers.

ROADIES ARE SO MEAN.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Depends...

When riding locally, I wave. Comparatively, we don't have a large number of cyclists out on the usual routes.

When I visit places like Boulder, CO, San Diego, CA, Las Vegas, NV, etc. I don't wave. There are just too many cyclists out when I ride in these places. I would never have my hand on the bars.
    Quote Originally Posted by uzziefly
    One word : wtf??
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson
    That's three.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    Might as well be known as friendly. I ride with a local minister, he had a mechanical on our tuesday night ride that couldn't be fixed roadside. Four cars stopped to see if they could help.
    Exactly. The people I make a point of acknowledging are drivers who wait patiently for a good time to pass then give us plenty of room when they do go around. There are a lot of jerks on some routes, so I want the ones who aren't to know I appreciate their patience with bikes on "their" roads. We also have quite a few hilly, curvy roads that sometimes make it very difficult for cars to safely pass. When that's the case, I'll sometimes pull off into a driveway so more timid drivers can get around us, safely, and then I'll wave as they pass.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I wave, nod or give them a low deuce. Depends on what I am doing at the moment. Motorists who extend courtesies to me get a wave or a mouthed "Thank You" gesture.
    Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Depends. I'll usually look in their direction. If they make eye contact, I'll smile or nod, and most of the time they do the same. If they ignore me, I ignore them.

When I pass someone, I'll usually say some pleasantries. Nice day, man this wind sucks, something like that.

One other thing I've noticed, too. Runners will almost always wave, or smile/nod or acknowledge me in some way, even before I do anything their way. Rollerbladers tend to ignore me even if I make eye contact.

And I'll always acknowledge a courteous motorist on one way or another.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mpre53 View Post
    Depends. I'll usually look in their direction. If they make eye contact, I'll smile or nod, and most of the time they do the same. If they ignore me, I ignore them.
    One other thing I've noticed, too. Runner will almost always wave, or smile/nod or acknowledge me in some way, even before I do anything their way. Rollerbladers tend to ignore me even if I make eye contact.

And I'll always acknowledge a courteous motorist on one way or another.
    Agreed.

I have more pleasant responses from joggers than other cyclist.

If I make eye contact with motorist at an intersection, waiting for me to pass, I always give them a nod or thank-you wave.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by marhot View Post

I have more pleasant responses from joggers than other cyclist..
    The exception being female joggers plugged in to their IPODs. They always seem to want to tune out the rest of the world, so I oblige them by ignoring them.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

banned
    I keep my hands on my bars but occasionally I'll yell out a loud "hey". Cyclists tend to respond to the "hey" but I often get a glare or no response if I wave so never do it. And female joggers are a mixed bag, in groups they tend to be friendly or smile but alone they seem to just want to shut out the world and are not at all friendly.

w-g
    Will rep for beer
    “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.” Inigo Montoya

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I sound off with the appropriate greeting. Usually it's "Good morning" until someone yells back that it's 3 or 4 in the afternoon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I nod or wave to everyone except recumbants, and Tri-dorks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Yea, I definitely wave. Waving is part of being in the club. When I used to always ride motorcycles, you always wave at other motorcyclists.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    I generally wave to anyone with whom I make eye contact. That includes cyclists...

I tend not to make eye contact so much in large city centers. That's only because I'm usually too busy observing the road and other vehicles, while negotiating my own moves.

Damn it's hot here
    Made me think of something funny, how about all people in cars wave to each other, that would be nuts

RoadBikeReview Member
    I nod.

Usually it's because when I'm climbing it's an interval/repeat, and when descending I'm bombing too hard to let off the bars.

There's always this one **** who descends in the wrong lane, and smiles at me like he's funny, or thinks he's cool with me. I hope his bike catches fire.

Get me to In&Out
    Bikes Direct is carry Treks now...are they good bikes?
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Quote Originally Posted by spookyload View Post
    Bikes Direct is carry Treks now...are they good bikes?
    Only if they put Mavic wheels on them.
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Yes I wave. At the very least a head nod with hello or something. I am not a racer training for Le Tour so why not? I am a tourist on a bike. No reason to be antisocial. Never know, might make a new friend.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CActuskid View Post
    Made me think of something funny, how about all people in cars wave to each other, that would be nuts
    Growing up in rural Alabama that's exactly what we did

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast