Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Do you wear a team jersey, club or pro?

Greetings from the Twin Cities-

I always wear cycling clothes when I ride. You know, bib shorts and a cycling jersey. I shop at World Cycling Productions, whose home base is in St. Paul. They publish the DVD's of European pro races, which are narrated by Paul Sherwin and Phill Liggett. It's one of the few places in town where I can get pro jerseys

Cycling jerseys are well made, practical and colorfull. Sometimes I wear a St. Paul Cycling Club jersey, or a pro team jersey like LiquiGas. The jerseys are birght and colorful and being visible on the road is a very good thing. Maybe some of you guys and gals wear local team or club clothing. Speak up...don't be shy. What do you wear?

Maybe there should be a clothing and shoe section on this Forum, uh?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    I almost always wear my collegiate club team's kit. I like the visibility from the white, since I ride in the evening.

I do get "old manned" though. When I'm cruising along on an easy day, it's common for an older guy to fly by on aero bars and give "the look". You never get a friendly greeeting. Based on the $8000 bike thread, I wonder what's running through their head.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bill, do some searches. There are often discussions about clothing here. Many of them arguing about what's proper to wear, and whether there should be some dress code, or if it's wrong to wear a pro team jersey if you're not on the team, etc., etc., etc.

Like many folks here, I have a bunch of jerseys, acquired over the years. Among my favorites are "Z" (Greg Lemond's team in 89-90), the Italian team jersey from the 96 Atlanta olympics, and one I got at Guiseppe Bianchi's bike shop in Florence, which has drawings of the city's most famous landmarks. My kids used to call it the "naked guy" jersey, because Michelangelo's "David" is prominent on the back.

I also have a St. Olaf College jersey, a gift from my daughter who recently graduated from there. I like Minnesota, and St. Paul especially.

ReviewBikeRoad Member
    I don't wear team or club jerseys, but I have thought about getting an AG2R jersey, as I like the blue/brown design on the white background.

As for what people think of you when you ride, screw 'em! Wear what makes you happy and feels good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    I think it's fine to wear a pro team jersey, but not the whole kit.

And if you decide to wear a pro team jersey, at least know who some of the current or past riders have been on the team, where the team is based, how long the team has been around. Things like that.

I think of it like wearing a basketball, football, soccer (futbol) jersey...you wouldn't wear the jersey of some obscure team you didn't like or know something about just because the colors are nice.

I also think its cool to buy jerseys when you travel...if you go somewhere interesting (especially somewhere where cycling isn't as huge of a sport) and get a jersey from a LBS or a thrift store or something like that.

Peace

-Ocho
    HTFU

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think it's ok to wear a team Jersey, especially the colorful ones for safety's sake. But I don't feel one should wear a World Champion, US Champion, or State champion jersey unless you've earned them.

I take classes at St. Thomas University, so maybe I could send you one of their tops. They always do well in Division lll athletics.

Jerseys I have:
    -Brooklyn (early 70's Belgium team)
    -Bianchi Liquigas
    -St. Paul Bicycling Racing Club
    -Riso Scotti (heavy, long sleeve)

I like St. Paul too, especially the hills for training.

Resident Dutchbag
    Sure I do. My latest purchase:

Originally posted by thatsmybush:
    I can only speak for my self, but if Fergie wanted to rub her lovely lady lumps on me, I could play the role of "human stripper pole."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bikie
    But I don't feel one should wear a World Champion, US Champion, or State champion jersey unless you've earned them.
    Somebody wants you to wear them because they are sold online.

Myself, I only wear solids.
    Last edited by GetReal; 07-28-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I just bought my very first team kit. The 2010 AG2R. The price at PBK was too good to pass up (PBK also seems to be the only outlet that has it.) It hasn't shown up yet. I have no idea if I'll be too embarrassed to wear it.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a black Cervelo Test Team Jersey (not the kit); but have not worn it yet. I'd rather wear a simple jesey that just said Cervelo across the chest. I plan on getting a podium hat. Not a huge fan of wearing Team jersey's because they just don't look as good on me and everybody who has a Cervelo has a Test team Jersey, that was standard issue with the bike because you ride so fast as soon as you get on.

I love Sugoi apparell and usualy purchase whatever jersey that is on sale. Probably have 4 Sugoi jersey's all ready; waiting for two sleeveless to be delivered this weekend and a short sleeve marino wool; all of which were on discount.

I would wear a cycling club kit, but I am not in a cycling club. I wear my Tour de Cure jersey during the event and seeking out my school and fraternity kits.
    ----------------
    I am participating in the 2012 Tour de Cure to raise money to Help Stop Diabetes. Please Click Here to view my page or if you would like to make a donation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I wear both team jerseys and club jerseys. I like the team jerseys because they are colorful, even bordering on garish. Many of the teams no longer exist (Postal, Discovery, Banesto, Mercatone Uno, Saeco, Gan, Festina, Seguros, Mapei)

I have at least one club jersey for the various clubs I've been a member of, but sometimes when doing club rides I like to wear a jersey from a different club just to be a non-conformist.

I have yet to venture into the world of colorful team shorts. I just do basic black.

Bsilver
    Nov 2009

Team or Club Jerseys who cares..be happy

I have to agree wear what makes you feel good! Who cares what you wear, the people that do are probably the ones who never nod or wave as you pass them. Why are cyclist so stuck up!!! It's all about the ride and the people and places you see...Maybe I am not aware of a secret society or competion...I ride what I can afford and damn proud of it..

bsilver

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I wear

liquigas
    katusha
    euskatel

The bright ones are great. Cars can see you from far away. I have no idea why people hate on team uni's, but i guess everyone has their opinions.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I should say, though, that I've worn team jerseys for many years without a single shred of guilt. I have the style of Mercatone Uno that Pantani wore in his glory years. I have an Indurain Era Banesto. I have a British Mapei Team jersey, kindly given to me by fellow RBR poster Wolfman. I have a Buoygues Telecom jersey. If I like the looks, and if the colors are bright enough to keep me visible on the road. I simply don't care what brands I may be representing on my back, sleeves and chest.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Recreational rider here... I know there are lots of guys on the board here that say you should only where a Pro Jersey if they are your sponsor.. I call BS on that.. I know I am fat and slow but I like my HTC Jersey and my Garmin Jersey... I wear what I want to wear like it or not... I am not fast so I want to look good going slow... lol

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lacofdfireman
    Recreational rider here... I know there are lots of guys on the board here that say you should only where a Pro Jersey if they are your sponsor.. I call BS on that.. I know I am fat and slow but I like my HTC Jersey and my Garmin Jersey... I wear what I want to wear like it or not... I am not fast so I want to look good going slow... lol

Amen to that. I agree with you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    I'm 53 and just returned to riding 5 weeks ago. Since I had NO stamina and NO power, I was reluctant to wear obvious cycling gear so people would know I was a newbie and not JUST a poor rider, heh. I hid my brand new Sugoi bibs under baggy walking shorts and just wore a long sleeved CoolMax Tshirt.

I've improved weekly, so today I broke out the brand new, very-small-logoed, "Cannondale" 3-pocket jersey and joined the crowd .

Oh wait.....I still wore the baggy shorts over the bibs At least they give me more pockets.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here's mine:

Cervelo Soloist Carbon / Look 585 / Look 555 / Redline Conquest Pro / Kona Kapu / Santa Cruz Blur / Torker U-District / Custom fixie

http://www.BloggersInc.com/CycloPath/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    If I wear the jersey it is always the complete kit.

Whether it is a current or previous team/club or a pro kit I only wear it if I have the matching shorts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I sport the Shaver Sport jersey from American Flyers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have several pro kit jerseys, newest is a '10 Saxo Bank jersey, as well as club and team jerseys. I wear them all because I like them and enjoy wearing them...that is plenty good enough for me.

The Slow One.
    I sport the kit of shops and manufacturers that I feel should be supported. Doesn't hurt that they are well made (Hincapie, Giordana, Vermarc) and more of a race fit than a club fit.

Otherwise, I wear a few jerseys from brewers. I have a couple blank ones that I don't wear much, even though they are well made and fit well. They just don't do it for me.

I've considered kits from now-defunct teams, but I've never really felt any connection to them so I passed. I don't think I'd sport a world/national champion jersey, a jersey for a race/event I didn't participate in, or a kit for a team (non-professional) I am not a member of. Seems dishonest to me.

That probably limits my options, but I'm good with that.

Rock what you want- as long as it's not see-through or in poor repair.

la dolce vita
    Go to Euro land. You are out of style if you don't wear the full team kit.
    insert witty comment here

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueldr
    I sport the Shaver Sport jersey from American Flyers.

thats great. Very cool.

Banned forever.....or not
    I wear my team kit, except when I wear the B.A.R. jersey that I won last year (but that's only good for a few more months, and I'm not going to repeat). I only wear that jersey when I'm out on "easy" rides with old friends that are on the team.
    When I'm doing winter workout, indoors, I wear previous team jerseys and old black bibs. (or current team bibs that are too worn out to wear outside)
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast