RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002

Does anyone here use Peleton?

I saw this story on CNBC - an interview with the CEO of Peleton. I have a friend who has a Peleton, but I don't consider her to be a serious cyclist. Seems like those who are into "hardcore" indoor training use Zwift.

The ?Netflix for fitness? company raging with millennials ? with zero competition
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

Adorable Furry Hombre
    $2000 for the equipment... Plus another 50 a month for the service. Millennials being broke and all, calling it a rage is probably pushing it

RoadBikeReview Member
    Peloton. Remember VELO --> PELOton.

I've seen the ads and it looks cool. For the price I would just get a good trainer and a dedicated large screen tv or computer setup and make my own training area with my own bike.

Fecal indicator
    really dislike the Peloton tv ads...

'...Robin's not going to go easy on you...'

'...this is you attacking the hill, crushing the flats...'

50 bills a month...? had no idea the service fee was that high. forget that...
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

Forever a Student
    Wow. That guy is 100% full of himself and full of shite at the same time.

I guess that makes him a bag of shite.

And, by the way, he's wrong and we all know it.

Edit: I have a theory. My theory is that whatever show or site or program or whatever that's from is one where the people that watch it have more money then sense. It sounds, quite clearly to me actually, that he's making a pitch to investors about his company. I know he's full of **** but I bet the trust fund babies are dumb enough to not know any better.
    use a torque wrench

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by burgrat View Post
    Peloton. Remember VELO --> PELOton.

I've seen the ads and it looks cool. For the price I would just get a good trainer and a dedicated large screen tv or computer setup and make my own training area with my own bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    really dislike the Peloton tv ads...

'...Robin's not going to go easy on you...'

'...this is you attacking the hill, crushing the flats...'

50 bills a month...? had no idea the service fee was that high. forget that...
    I was operating off memory...$39.99/month as of January

Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Wow. That guy is 100% full of himself and full of shite at the same time.

I guess that makes him a bag of shite.

And, by the way, he's wrong and we all know it.

Edit: I have a theory. My theory is that whatever show or site or program or whatever that's from is one where the people that watch it have more money then sense. It sounds, quite clearly to me actually, that he's making a pitch to investors about his company. I know he's full of **** but I bet the trust fund babies are dumb enough to not know any better.
    For those curious about actual user thoughts...Peloton has a booth at CES this year. And noted bicycle GPS/gadget reviewer DC Rainmaker, having heard from a friend about it a week prior, made a mini-review (with pics) out of it:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/01/...-platform.html

TL; DR

-What is there is quite well done in hardware/software
    -Expensive, $2000 for the hardware+ $40USD/month for unlimited classes
    -Closed platform however, with no modding/etc possible
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    did some research for a building gym. some residents wanted the keiser trainer but after looking at the stats seemed like the best machines are schwinn

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Looking at the photo somebody posted in another thread, it appears that this $2000 Peloton trainer has a computer screen but the computer does not control the resistance device. Seems way overpriced in that case.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    $2000 for the equipment... Plus another 50 a month for the service. Millennials being broke and all, calling it a rage is probably pushing it
    Maybe they meant "enraged"? Anyway, I agree that is a lot of coin for a closed system. However, I doubt cycling enthusiasts is their target market

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Seems like just another piece of fitness equipment that most people will post to Craigslist at 20% of they paid...'barely used'.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    At 20% of Retail, I would buy in a heartbeat.
    Anyone try the Expresso stationary bike? The novelty is you steer the handlebars along one of many very colorful courses on the attached monitor. Tension increases for hills. I really enjoyed it at the health club I quit after investing in a Nautilus U616 for Christmas last. The Nautilus is good, but is already making unwanted noises. The Peloton looks sturdy.

Neophyte
    A friend of a friend who lives in NJ and can't get out in the winter has been using one a lot, seems to like it. He's a fairly serious cyclist, so there's at least one out there using the thing...

Forever a Student
    Shane Miller weighed in on this recently. He's tapped into the pulse of home cycling training better than most. He thinks it's going to fail. Basically says no cyclist wants one of those things. We want bikes and trainers. Bikes ride on the road. Trainers can go with us for warm ups or on vacation or whatever. He sort of concluded by saying that this isn't for cyclists though most likely, not the target market at all. Says the target market is people with tons of cash that got addicted to spin class at their local fitness center that would like to have it in their home gym.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Shane Miller weighed in on this recently. He's tapped into the pulse of home cycling training better than most. He thinks it's going to fail. Basically says no cyclist wants one of those things. We want bikes and trainers. Bikes ride on the road. Trainers can go with us for warm ups or on vacation or whatever. He sort of concluded by saying that this isn't for cyclists though most likely, not the target market at all. Says the target market is people with tons of cash that got addicted to spin class at their local fitness center that would like to have it in their home gym.
    I don't doubt that for now the company is doing well. The target audience for this seems to be an affluent customer who is always looking for "the Next Big Thing in Fitness". Whether that be Zumba, Tao Bo, Spin, stripper aerobics, roller-blades, etc., there will be people that want to be part of the latest trend. Its not a bad business model as long as you get out before it flops

Not a climber
    This, 100%. I do see some cyclists in spin classes in the winter periodically, but mostly just women who want an intense workout.

I lived in DC until a year or so ago and spin studios are getting HUGE now. Following a local blog, I bet a dozen of them have opened in the city in the past 2 years. It's crazy people pay that much money a month for only a daily spin class when they could join a normal gym for the same price and get a spin class built into the price. Peleton basically gives you a spin studio in your house without having to set foot outside, but you still get the motivation of the teacher yelling at you and the competitiveness of knowing how hard your classmates are pushing.

Maybe if you could hook up a normal trainer and use a tablet, but the $2k entry fee is crazy, even before the monthly fee.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
    This, 100%. I do see some cyclists in spin classes in the winter periodically, but mostly just women who want an intense workout.

I lived in DC until a year or so ago and spin studios are getting HUGE now. Following a local blog, I bet a dozen of them have opened in the city in the past 2 years. It's crazy people pay that much money a month for only a daily spin class when they could join a normal gym for the same price and get a spin class built into the price. Peleton basically gives you a spin studio in your house without having to set foot outside, but you still get the motivation of the teacher yelling at you and the competitiveness of knowing how hard your classmates are pushing.

Maybe if you could hook up a normal trainer and use a tablet, but the $2k entry fee is crazy, even before the monthly fee.
    And that is what Zwift offers, only much cheaper.

$10 monthly fee, includes cycling and running options.
    It requires a compatible device for use (iOS, Mac and PC), bike, trainer, and at least a speed sensor. More expensive trainers are useful, but not a requirement.

It has access to casual riding (solo or in groups), structured training (solo), and racing (groups). Once they add voice chat and more structured group training, they will have essentially what Peleton offers and much more.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by dcorn View Post

DCRainmaker says Peloton offers just that I think for $13/month on iPad.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    DCRainmaker says Peloton offers just that I think for $13/month on iPad.
    I was wondering why anyone would pay $2000 plus $40 a month if there is a much cheaper app, so I looked it up. The app lets you watch recorded or live streamed video but it does not give you all the metrics, or allow you to compete live, or to ride with friends. I guess when you tell your fashionable Peloton bike riding friends that you just have the cheapo app, you are looked upon with disdain.

Fecal indicator
    most cyclists own a bike...

so, why spend 2,000+ bucks for a faux bike that you can't ride outside...

$150 rollers are a much better investment.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member
    2K + another $500 a year? That's a joke. Any old stationary bike and a virtual classroom, for THAT? Agree, I don't think the market is cyclists. Who wants to get fit to a stationary bike when the one you actually ride already fits and goes on a trainer so easily. A trainer that offers all of this and more no less at a fraction of the cost. And a bike you can actually RIDE! That does explain the little hand weights in the bidon cages... they don't know what they are for.
    If I knew then what I know now, I woulda done it anyway.

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    That does explain the little hand weights in the bidon cages... they don't know what they are for.
    use a torque wrench