Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    it can't be that simple. How can you tell if the bike is ok without shifters? Shifters are where you put your hands and without them, you will have to ride the bike like a unicycle which can get dicey in traffic without practice.
    I would need to check current traffic laws, but I'm almost certain I can't ride a bike on a highway. It's against the law.

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    With new shifters, Bob's his uncle.
    I'm beginning to love your posts 11spd.

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by flattire View Post
    Does anyone else think this bike is quite under priced? I'd check the serial numbers or you may be buying stolen property.
    This is why I always make the boring recommendation for "beginners" to take the bike into a reputable LBS to have it checked out for fit and function. Also, I would assume most sellers of stolen property would rather not have the potential buyer take the bike to a LBS.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ngl View Post
    This is why I always make the boring recommendation for "beginners" to take the bike into a reputable LBS to have it checked out for fit and function. Also, I would assume most sellers of stolen property would rather not have the potential buyer take the bike to a LBS.
    Don't always assume. Quite possible if this is a seller of stolen property that he wants to be found out so he can shift and make a more positive contribution to society. He may have kept the shifters as emblematic of this endeavor. People don't always do things on a tangible level. Sometimes their actions are symbolic and are directed more by their subconscious. Bob may know in fact if it is confirmed he is his uncle.

Keep in mind, there is generally more to these kind of stories than we learn. For example, the seller though maybe a thief may also have a soft spot for grandma and given the shifters to her so she could ride her bike also without shifters because he wants her to get more exercise. The thief may even know very little about bikes and not know that Grandma's bike for example is a flatbar bike and the shifters won't work for this type of bike. Grandma is Dutch and old school and no way she would convert her bike to dropbar because it doesn't comport with her riding style which is side saddle. It may run in the family in other words and the case of the missing shifters may actually be based in an act of love. Even thieves can have a level of honor. They merely have a different interpretation of Robin Hood.
    Last edited by 11spd; 1 Week Ago at 01:29 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbhatup View Post
    Who's Joe?
    Read post #9

Quote Originally Posted by rbhatup View Post
    I'm just saying that if I'm an experienced rider, I would know what size to buy. So I assume Bob is a beginner because he bought it too small.

If Bob's a beginner, then why would he buy everything but the shifters and cable?

When I asked Joe (seller) if it had any damage, he said it had a scratch fron when the chain broke. Since Joe never used it (knee injury) then it must've been Bob (previous owner).

I'm a beginner, and I wouldn't buy an incomplete that doesn't fit me.

I guess I'm the only one that finds it odd.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    The bike is complete.... just go look at it and just get on it and ride it off, it was stolen anywhay!

Who cares about Joe?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    The bike is complete.... just go look at it and just get on it and ride it off, it was stolen anywhay!

Who cares about Joe?
    you're right. i don't lose anything by trying it out.

shermes cares about Joe. He wanted to know who Joe was, but I can't answer that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Who cares about Joe?
    I do. Having had my own knee injury requiring surgery, I know how bummed out one can get riding the couch. I think he's being short-sighted by selling the bike and may later regret it.

Oh, and 11spd, the whole "electric shifters, ohmmm" thing, that was a great pun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    Oh, and 11spd, the whole "electric shifters, ohmmm" thing, that was a great pun!
    He is indeed a punny guy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Guys, I am sensing a shift in attitude about this bike purchase. I guess we will see how it plays out. Grandma would have been touched I believe if the shifters were given to her even if they didn't fit her bike. Its the thought that counts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12