Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018

Does buying bike without shifters make sense?

I'd like to buy this '15 supersix evo for $750. In the ad, the seller says that he installed new shifters and new cabling. He says he injured his knee so he never used it.

So I text the current seller (Bob), and Bob tells me that the previous owner (John) sold the bike because it was too big for him. Bob tells me that John bought the bike without shifters or cable, so John kept them. Bob took it to a bike shop to install those two parts. Then Bob injured his knee, never used it, and posted it in craigslist.

Does this make sense?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Does buying bike without shifters make sense?-img_8790.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    very well possible.

Original owner (John) could have upgraded his components but then bailed halfway and thus not getting the shifters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    If John decided he didn't want the bike but liked the shifters, he may have pulled them off to put on whatever bike he ended up with later.

Bob gets a great deal on the bike because John didn't bother replacing the shifters. Bob puts shifters on it so he can ride it.

That seems unusual but "makes sense".

What doesn't make sense to me is why Bob is selling his bike rather than waiting for his knee to heal before riding it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    It is what it is. The story behind how it became a bike without shifters doesn't have much to do with the price of tea.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbhatup View Post
    Sure, why not if the price is right.

Could be all sorts of reasons why WhatEverHisNameIs didn't have shifters. Maybe he broke one.

Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    What doesn't make sense to me is why Bob is selling his bike rather than waiting for his knee to heal before riding it.
    Meh... craigslist is loaded with people who buy bikes and then never ride them for a plethora of reasons. They're the best to get deals from.
    Bob was probably never really into riding and just needed an excuse.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    It is what it is. The story behind how it became a bike without shifters doesn't have much to do with the price of tea.
    I beg to differ. The shifters are a pivotal part of the story because they pivot. Sometimes shifters by themselves can have healing power and there are even obsure societies near the south pole that worship bicycle shifters as their deity. Keep in mind, one man's shifters is another's treasure and quite possible if this bike is purchased, the spell will be removed from the seller and his knee may be cured. Purchasing the bike would be a humanitarian act. Shifters can be a metaphor for shifting to another chapter in one's life and therefore should be carefully considered in the buying equation.
    Last edited by 11spd; 06-06-2018 at 10:13 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sure, if it's a SS or FG.
    ;-)
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    or if you want to ride in only one gear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018
    I'm just saying that if I'm an experienced rider, I would know what size to buy. So I assume Bob is a beginner because he bought it too small.

If Bob's a beginner, then why would he buy everything but the shifters and cable?

When I asked Joe (seller) if it had any damage, he said it had a scratch fron when the chain broke. Since Joe never used it (knee injury) then it must've been Bob (previous owner).

I'm a beginner, and I wouldn't buy an incomplete that doesn't fit me.

I guess I'm the only one that finds it odd.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I'm just saying that if I'm an experienced rider, I would know what size to buy. So I assume Bob is a beginner because he bought it too small.

If Bob's a beginner, then why would he buy everything but the shifters and cable?

When I asked Joe (seller) if it had any damage, he said it had a scratch fron when the chain broke. Since Joe never used it (knee injury) then it must've been Bob (previous owner).

but the pictured bike has shifters so I don't get it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    so, what exactly is the point of this thread...?

Tom, Dick, and Harry did blah blah blah...who cares?

if a bike is missing components, buy what it needs and install them.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post

I care.

The point is that I want to make sure that I'm buying something that works. I wish I were a bike expert with amazing wit, but there's only one AssTox, and that's you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I care.

The point is that I want to make sure that I'm buying something that works. I wish I were a bike expert with amazing wit, but there's only one AssTox, and that's you.
    oh boy

RoadBikeReview Member
    I care.

Don't I get honorable mention? I brought up shifters being tied to a spiritual experience.
    How can it get much better? I suppose if they were electric. Ohhhhmmmm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post

it can't be that simple. How can you tell if the bike is ok without shifters? Shifters are where you put your hands and without them, you will have to ride the bike like a unicycle which can get dicey in traffic without practice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    Don't I get honorable mention? I brought up shifters being tied to a spiritual experience.
    How can it get much better? I suppose if they were electric. Ohhhhmmmm.
    I guess he could call you 11spode if this were a motocross forum.

CEO Of The Internet

I'm confused, I thought Bob was the seller and John the previous owner sold it because it was too big for him. How did Joe get the bike?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shermes View Post
    I'm confused, I thought Bob was the seller and John the previous owner sold it because it was too big for him. How did Joe get the bike?
    With new shifters, Bob's his uncle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Does anyone else think this bike is quite under priced? I'd check the serial numbers or you may be buying stolen property. Regarding the story about the shifters, it's plausible. And it sounds as if they are brand new.

flinty-eyed moderator

Moderator's Note

I care.

Welcome to RBR, don't do that again.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    I guess he could call you 11spode if this were a motocross forum.
    When I catch big air, they call me 12spd because I seem like I have an extra gear.
    The message, I am trying to convey to the OP is, riding a bike is largely mental. With the right outlook, shifters aren't necessary. Fix cable tension for rear derailleur to a cog that suits your power and ride the bike as a single speed. What real men do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    With the right outlook, shifters aren't necessary.
    In this case he better make it FG cuz he won’t have any brakes either

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Is the OP saying the bike in the picture (with shifters) is for sale, without shifters?
    Now I'm thinking... what happened to the shifters?
    The bike is on craigs list , so you could go look at it. Shifters are going to run at least a couple hundred to get them installed, yada yada yada. I would just pass on it,

Why don't you ask the seller, WTF is up with the shifters and where are they?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Is the OP saying the bike in the picture (with shifters) is for sale, without shifters?
    Now I'm thinking... what happened to the shifters?
    The bike is on craigs list , so you could go look at it. Shifters are going to run at least a couple hundred to get them installed, yada yada yada. I would just pass on it,

Why don't you ask the seller, WTF is up with the shifters and where are they?
    The bike has shifters because Bob bought and installed them. Then he injured his knee and decides to sell it.

John was the original owner that sold the bike to Bob. John also bought it without shifters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by shermes View Post
    Who's Joe?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast