Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 155
  1. #126
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    I would agree. But have to say cx, Campy riders are few and far between where I ride which is a heavy cycling upscale community. Many on higher end groupsets ride Di2. I really appreciate Campy mechanical but don't feel snobby about it in the least.
    I am sure you agree that snobbiness is born out of ignorance. There is virtue to all groupset types as you know

    A bit more on snobbiness versus ignorance. You know who a big contingent of snobs are? Harley riders. That's right. Been around motorcyclists much? Now get this. Majority of Harley riders don't know a spark plug from a fuel injector and yet all other motorcycles don't compare. And since, I like performance, I would never own a Harley because to me they are little more than tarted up tractors with two wheels even tho some are 3 wheeled. ;) So I look and listen to Harley owners and believe they are mechanically illiterate ad most are but there are some exceptions out there. Another misconception about Harley owners is, many are great people who would do anything for you. They may not know an allen wrench from a torx but they simply prefer the aesthetic and the sound of a Harley. Me? I like Ducatis for the same reason but with the exhilaration of power to weight and speed + handling.
    Just like with Campy and Ducati, a lot of great competition to pick from:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81w9KQuuWBo

    So as you say, I believe snobby does go hand and hand with ignorance you mention like the lady you mention who couldn't change a derailleur cable and most BMW owners I have met who could be substituted with Harley owners for the reason of not having a clue about what they are driving.
    Man. As much as sometimes I think you blow a lot of hot air, there's so much we agree on. Campy and Ducati, doesn't get any better. I've owned a 999 and a 1098. I'm jonesen for the new V4 but alas, I'm married and my dear wife doesn't share the excitement.

  2. #127
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: kjdhawkhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    619
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    40km miles = 40 kilo-milli miles; 40 x 1000 x .001 miles = 40 miles

    Same thing as 40MµPf miles, i.e. 40 mega-micro-peta-femto miles.
    ^ ^^^^^ ^
    Ok #mathislife guy


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The internet is a little like a bar, a wonderful place where we can bullsh(t our past, but it also, is full of reasonably reliable sources of information to be used as ammo to call "bullish)t."

  3. #128
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,756
    recently got the Shimano Ultegra Di2 8050 full groupset for $1250 out the door from an LBS deal. Shifting is smooth, drivetrain is silent, braking is top notched. Let's see Campy match that first, then we'll talk. Until then, it's just campy homerism talkin' yo

  4. #129
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    recently got the Shimano Ultegra Di2 8050 full groupset for $1250 out the door from an LBS deal. Shifting is smooth, drivetrain is silent, braking is top notched. Let's see Campy match that first, then we'll talk. Until then, it's just campy homerism talkin' yo
    But it’s Shimano. I hear they make good fishing reels and sowing machines. “Quiet and smooth”.

  5. #130
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,756
    Quote Originally Posted by mackgoo View Post
    But it’s Shimano. I hear they make good fishing reels and sowing machines. “Quiet and smooth”.
    notice that it's all the campy guys who need reassurance. Shimano guys don't need it. Nice try

  6. #131
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,866
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    recently got the Shimano Ultegra Di2 8050 full groupset for $1250 out the door from an LBS deal. Shifting is smooth, drivetrain is silent, braking is top notched. Let's see Campy match that first, then we'll talk. Until then, it's just campy homerism talkin' yo
    I guess that it's 2nd tier battery powered Shimano that turns one into a snob.
    Too old to ride plastic

  7. #132
    Devoid of all flim-flam
    Reputation: Mapei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,983
    When I bought my Bianchi Infinito CV a few years ago, it came down to either the Chorus Gruppo or electric Ultegra. (I just can't cope with cable shifting Shimmy. Those wagging brake levers cause me to brake when I want to shift.) I loved the way the Ultegra shifted and felt under the hands, but I ended up with the Chorus. Two reasons -- the Campy cost about $500 less, and for whatever reason the Campy bicycle weighed a third of a pound less. Haven't looked back.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

  8. #133
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BCSaltchucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,790
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I guess that it's 2nd tier battery powered Shimano that turns one into a snob.
    Di2 is 2nd tier, sure, ever since eTap came out. guess who's third tier? one with the silent G
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

  9. #134
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,866
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    Di2 is 2nd tier, sure, ever since eTap came out. guess who's third tier? one with the silent G
    I would say that in the Shimano line electric Dura Ace would be 1st tier and electric Ultegra, which is the group set that I was responding to, would be 2nd tier. That's got nothing to do with any silent g's, it's got to do with Shimano Hierarchy.
    Too old to ride plastic

  10. #135
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,870
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    Di2 is 2nd tier, sure, ever since eTap came out. guess who's third tier? one with the silent G
    A bit of thread drift here but what ever happened to FSA's electronic group? It seemed like the last few years its release was "imminent"

  11. #136
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,756
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I guess that it's 2nd tier battery powered Shimano that turns one into a snob.
    Ultegra Di2 full groupo at $1250 out the door is hard to beat no matter how one slice it and dice it!

  12. #137
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,866
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Ultegra Di2 full groupo at $1250 out the door is hard to beat no matter how one slice it and dice it!
    I'm not saying it ain't, Shimano makes some damn fine components. I'm just saying that reading your post came off, to me, as if you're an anti-Campagnolo snob. And you didn't even need Shimano's top tier group to develop that snobbishness.
    Too old to ride plastic

  13. #138
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Ultegra Di2 full groupo at $1250 out the door is hard to beat no matter how one slice it and dice it!
    Unless you sole consider using it on a bicycle.

  14. #139
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    227

    Save yourself the hot air and drama....

    Quote Originally Posted by mackgoo View Post
    Man. As much as sometimes I think you blow a lot of hot air, there's so much we agree on. Campy and Ducati, doesn't get any better. I've owned a 999 and a 1098. I'm jonesen for the new V4 but alas, I'm married and my dear wife doesn't share the excitement.
    Get the Honda and 105.

    Although I run Record 10 and Veloce cassettes.

    I hope they they sent the guy who ok'd the Mirage cassette to Transylvania.

  15. #140
    a real member's member
    Reputation: blackfrancois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,422
    Quote Originally Posted by mackgoo View Post
    But it’s Shimano. I hear they make good ... sowing machines.
    is that like a seed drill?
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

  16. #141
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: El Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    736
    Just ordered my first bike without Campy bits. I am dabbling in the 1x offerings and I feel like I am cheating on my wife. I

  17. #142
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,870
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    Just ordered my first bike without Campy bits. I am dabbling in the 1x offerings and I feel like I am cheating on my wife. I
    This is WAY worse than cheating on your wife. I built up a bike with SRAM many years ago and I have yet to overcome the shame of it

  18. #143
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,866
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    Just ordered my first bike without Campy bits. I am dabbling in the 1x offerings and I feel like I am cheating on my wife. I
    Worse.

    The Missus doesn't have to spend her off time hanging around with the other, you probably keep your bikes in a group.
    Too old to ride plastic

  19. #144
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    This is WAY worse than cheating on your wife. I built up a bike with SRAM many years ago and I have yet to overcome the shame of it
    I heard that Trump dabbled with both 1X and with SRAM. Apparently VeloNews was going to print an article about it, but they buried the story.

  20. #145
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,591
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    I heard that Trump dabbled with both 1X and with SRAM. Apparently VeloNews was going to print an article about it, but they buried the story.
    wow that's funny.

  21. #146
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: kjdhawkhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    619
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    I heard that Trump dabbled with both 1X and with SRAM. Apparently VeloNews was going to print an article about it, but they buried the story.
    Timing solid. Delivery nice.

    I’d still happily ride SRAM, but 1x seems like a weight vs versatility compromise I don’t feel is a good calculation for an only or primary bike. No euphemism, beyond the obvious sophomoric 1.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The internet is a little like a bar, a wonderful place where we can bullsh(t our past, but it also, is full of reasonably reliable sources of information to be used as ammo to call "bullish)t."

  22. #147
    Cycling Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,721
    Quote Originally Posted by kjdhawkhill View Post
    Timing solid. Delivery nice.

    I’d still happily ride SRAM, but 1x seems like a weight vs versatility compromise I don’t feel is a good calculation for an only or primary bike. No euphemism, beyond the obvious sophomoric 1.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My dislike of 1x for road bikes is this: I started riding back in the days of 2x5 being the standard setup. The classic "alpine gearing" was 40-52 ans 14-28 freewheel. When you came to a slight rise you tended to push harder on the pedals because shifting down meant too large a drop in momentum. This, in turn, put more stress on the knees.

    When the manufacturers gave us 9, 10 and 11speed cassettes we finally had a wide range of gears with gaps close enough that I, with my bad knees, can shift down and continue to spin along without a big loss in momentum. Going to a 1x setup means going back to the big gaps between gears - a step backwards, IMO.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

  23. #148
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BCSaltchucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,790
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    My dislike of 1x for road bikes is this: I started riding back in the days of 2x5 being the standard setup. The classic "alpine gearing" was 40-52 ans 14-28 freewheel. When you came to a slight rise you tended to push harder on the pedals because shifting down meant too large a drop in momentum. This, in turn, put more stress on the knees.

    When the manufacturers gave us 9, 10 and 11speed cassettes we finally had a wide range of gears with gaps close enough that I, with my bad knees, can shift down and continue to spin along without a big loss in momentum. Going to a 1x setup means going back to the big gaps between gears - a step backwards, IMO.
    this all depends on the terrain you're riding though. A 2x11 bike only has about 14 unique gears anyways. so with 1x12 coming down the pipe they're getting mighty close, and at least as good for ratio choices as 2x9

    I can't see the 1x11 working for me where I ride with steeps and mountains. But if I lived in the midwest still - definitely. If I was racing I guess it would mean keeping a variety of cassette clusters on hand for specific races. But then when I was racing it was mostly crits and never off the big ring anyways, using 1x7 in those days essentially and only really using 4 of those gears.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

  24. #149
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    this all depends on the terrain you're riding though. A 2x11 bike only has about 14 unique gears anyways. so with 1x12 coming down the pipe they're getting mighty close, and at least as good for ratio choices as 2x9
    All my 2x11 setups produce either 16 or 17 unique gears, depending on the cassette. (50/34 with 11-23, 12-25, or 12-29) A lot of people I ride with run 50/34 with an 11-spd 11-28; that also gives you 17 unique gears. So, I don't agree that 1x setups are that close to 2x setups, even if you go to 1x12.

    I can't see the 1x11 working for me where I ride with steeps and mountains. But if I lived in the midwest still - definitely. If I was racing I guess it would mean keeping a variety of cassette clusters on hand for specific races. But then when I was racing it was mostly crits and never off the big ring anyways, using 1x7 in those days essentially and only really using 4 of those gears.
    Yes, a 1x11 could work great for crits and relatively flat road races or time trials.

    This is how I view the 1x vs. 2x issue for general riding: A 1x11 setup with a 50 tooth chainring and an 11-42 cassette gives you (nearly) identical gearing as a 2x8 setup with 50/34 chainrings and an 11-28 cassette. So, if you're happy with a 2x8 setup you should be (more than) happy with a 1x11 setup. If you can't live with anything less than 2x9, however, then 1x11 may not be very satisfying.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Does switching to Campagnolo turn you into a Snob?-gears.jpg  

  25. #150
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: El Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    736
    I knew I could count on you guys supporting me on both the non-Campy bike and the 1x.

    On occasion when I am feeling less inspired with cycling in general, I will go completely off the reservation to kick start my enthusiasm. Last time I had a single speed, rigid MTB built up, I was told I was crazy and that it wouldn't work. Not only did it work, but I ended up being faster with 1 gear than I ever was with 20. With 1 gear you can never be lazy, you have to be full gas all the time. I road and raced that bike for 9 years before this recent round of malaise.

    I will return and report on both the 1x and the non-campy experience.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Turning my android into a bike computer w turn by turn nav
    By jbinbi in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-24-2014, 06:32 PM
  2. left turn arrows that don't turn green
    By jetdog9 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-12-2007, 08:08 PM
  3. Does Bush want to turn the U.S. into Mexico?
    By Turtleherder in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-09-2006, 01:36 PM
  4. U turn on the U turn
    By Bianchigirl in forum Pro Cycling - Tour de France
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-23-2005, 10:04 AM
  5. My turn, my turn ! (Ti & carbon bike porn)
    By Pierre in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 11:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest RoadBike Articles

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

roadbikereview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.